Will Border Down ever be emulated?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
raiden

Post by raiden »

Also there is no such thing as abandonware, Its just another term made up by internet thieves to justify to themselves that stealing a piece of software beyond a certain number of years is somehow acceptable.
No, there is abandonware, there are companies that really "abandon" their IP rights on old software officially, stating it on their websites, sometimes offering it as free downloads themselves. There are also download websites that emphasize the official "abandon" status of everything they offer. But other sites don´t, and of course those are much more popular.
And then there are a lot of mixed cases. Things like Doom, Quake or Duke Nukem, where official versions are still sold, but shareware versions with reduced featuresets are offered for free.

@Dark Saibot: if you don´t believe that Mame´s intended function is to preserve old arcade games, how about checking the official statements? Why do you think they decided to pull back games already emulated for the sole reason they were too new? You might ask why they start working on games when they´re still new, but that´s simply more efficient, because the older a game gets, the more rare working boards get.

Concerning Border Down´s emulation: well, technically it shouldn´t be that hard, as there is a well-working Dreamcast emulator already. I don´t know whether the DC´s function of sending GD data over a coder´s cable also works with Naomi GDs, because otherwise they´d have to find a way of acquiring the data first. Considering the performance scale required by emulation, however, you will probably need a new, very powerful PC to get the thing running in acceptable performance. Just buying a DC with Border Down would be a lot cheaper.

Post by Guest »

You sir, are a laugh riot. The Border Down NAOMI GD-ROM was released on 2003/09/25. You know how I came by that amazingly rare and hard to find information??? I took all of 4-5 seconds to type "border down" into google and then click on the third result, which is the actual G.rev site. I guess you have less time to spare in Iceland for such frivolities as fact checking though, what with the smaller amount of daylight and all.
The iceland jokes are still not funny. It makes you sound like a little computer nerd with no life when you make jokes like that. Anyway, I could give two fucks what you have to say about me. Actually sir, you are a laugh riot. I laugh at people that get off by making fun of other people over the internet for fun. Too bad that's all you got going for you in your life. :)

As far as I know you're just some little nerd kid sitting there collecting dust in your parent's basement, using your mommy's computer to come to places like this. Then you pick apart people's messages and post smart comments, and then start jerking off thinking about how funny you are. That's your leisure time entertainment. You basically mean zero to me, nothing, so you can say whatever the hell you want. I got enough going on that I could give two fucks about this place or what some little nerd kid on the internet has to say about me. You're not really going to affect my life in any way, trust me. Anyway, I wasn't talking about the Dreamcast version, I was talking about the arcade version. GameFAQs and several other sources indicate the arcade version having a 2002 release date. I'm not talking about the Dreamcast version, you invented the idea that I was talking about the Dreamcast version and then criticized upon it.
Also there is no such thing as abandonware, Its just another term made up by internet thieves to justify to themselves that stealing a piece of software beyond a certain number of years is somehow acceptable.
I suppose the VCR is a tool invented for the piracy of movies. People who tape movies off of television instead of buying the DVD should go to prison for movie piracy. Remember, every time you tape something, god kills a kitten.

Emulators are certainly not tools for piracy. They are tools that enable people who are fans of defunct games to play them(for a rational amount), and offer endless features that the original console did not. I can't play my NES online, sorry. I guess that makes me a pirate for downloading Super Mario Bros. and playing it online with my friend. *slaps wrist* I'm sure the FBI is going to come bust down my door with a SWAT team and put me in handcuffs, and then take me into custody, whereas I will later be tried by a grand jury and then be convicted to serve a minimum sentence of 30 years in a maximum security federal penitentiary for committing such atrocites against mankind.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Dark Saibot, you are digging your own grave here with your apparent igonrance. Just let it drop. This thread should have been locked like 10 posts ago.
black mariah
Banned User

Post by black mariah »

GaijinPunch wrote:
I'm not entirely sure of the method, but I do know that it involves extracting it through the broadband adapter. The transfer rate SUCKS ASS so it takes about 12 hours or more to rip a game.
Sorry about that. Should've made myself clearer.  I meant a NAOMI GD-Rom... AFAIK, you can't extract the data, which is what makes this post so ridiculous.
That's actually a pretty good question. I'll ask around and send you a PM if I find out anything.
Blow up self to involve enemies.
snap monkey

Post by snap monkey »

Dark Saibot wrote:Anyway, I could give two fucks what you have to say about me... I got enough going on that I could give two fucks about this place or what some little nerd kid on the internet has to say about me.
Saying that you could give two fucks about something would imply that you do care. I got the impression that you were trying to say the opposite. If you're going to berate someone, atleast say something that actually makes sense. There's no need to make more of an ass of yourself.
dpful

Post by dpful »

Or for that matter, why not just keep the black market black at least
teenwolf

Post by teenwolf »

Dark Saibot wrote:
You sir, are a laugh riot. The Border Down NAOMI GD-ROM was released on 2003/09/25. You know how I came by that amazingly rare and hard to find information??? I took all of 4-5 seconds to type "border down" into google and then click on the third result, which is the actual G.rev site. I guess you have less time to spare in Iceland for such frivolities as fact checking though, what with the smaller amount of daylight and all.
The iceland jokes are still not funny. It makes you sound like a little computer nerd with no life when you make jokes like that. Anyway, I could give two fucks what you have to say about me. Actually sir, you are a laugh riot. I laugh at people that get off by making fun of other people over the internet for fun. Too bad that's all you got going for you in your life. :)

As far as I know you're just some little nerd kid sitting there collecting dust in your parent's basement, using your mommy's computer to come to places like this. Then you pick apart people's messages and post smart comments, and then start jerking off thinking about how funny you are. That's your leisure time entertainment. You basically mean zero to me, nothing, so you can say whatever the hell you want. I got enough going on that I could give two fucks about this place or what some little nerd kid on the internet has to say about me. You're not really going to affect my life in any way, trust me.
hahaha, more funnies!! You could "give two fucks what you have to say about me", but then you go and do the exact opposite of what you are saying by actually caring enough to give a long huffy hurt response to my post. Thanks man, thanks for not caring so much...

However, I think it safe to say that the irony of this situation coming from your own response is just a bit lost on you. So no "funnies" for you, just rambling confused indignance followed by mocking jokes that were considered to be "computer nerd" sounding by you only a sentence or two before. Sorry man. :cry: :cry:

Dark Saibot wrote:Anyway, I wasn't talking about the Dreamcast version, I was talking about the arcade version. GameFAQs and several other sources indicate the arcade version having a 2002 release date. I'm not talking about the Dreamcast version, you invented the idea that I was talking about the Dreamcast version and then criticized upon it.
Now we enter a real world of confusion. wtf are you talking about here. I wasn't talking about the DC version either in reference to the release date. In fact, you just posted my very comment referring to the "NAOMI GD-ROM" in reference to the release date. But you never talked about the dreamcast version at all??? Apparently there was absolutely no reason for me to have mentioned your complete apparent lack of sense in assuming that Border Down should be emulated right now in MAME instead of you looking for another actually existing and logically reasonable pirated solution for the DC, all in response to your own comments about the price of the DC version???
Dark Saibot wrote:
If you're Jonesing that bad why not just buy the DC version?
Do you mean why would I rather download it for free than spend $100+ on the DC import version? Tough one :)
omg, what is that right there?? Did I just "invent" that post too??? So you never talked about the Dreamcast version eh? I "INVENTED" THAT IDEA?.... hahaha.

You are the best gimmick/joke poster here since "myster telstar version 2".

Dark Saibot wrote:
Emulators are certainly not tools for piracy. They are tools that enable people who are fans of defunct games to play them(for a rational amount), and offer endless features that the original console did not. I can't play my NES online, sorry. I guess that makes me a pirate for downloading Super Mario Bros. and playing it online with my friend. *slaps wrist* I'm sure the FBI is going to come bust down my door with a SWAT team and put me in handcuffs, and then take me into custody, whereas I will later be tried by a grand jury and then be convicted to serve a minimum sentence of 30 years in a maximum security federal penitentiary for committing such atrocites against mankind.
Nice implied appeal to ridicule.
"Jessica never tries to be sexy. She just is sexy. If you put her in a T-shirt or you put her in a bustier, she's sexy in both. She's got double D's! You can't cover those suckers up!" - Joe Simpson, Jessica Simpsons father
Kron

Post by Kron »

I thought so too, Luckily for him the FBI won't be banging down his door but maybe the Stupidity police should.

It seems naive people without a clue can justify anything to themselves if they ridicule it enough.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Best thread ever. Putting aside the Mame waiting period, putting aside the fact that many older games aren't emulated yet, and putting aside the possibility that modern hardware probably couldn't run it anyway.........this kicks so much ass.

As for the notion that Mame is not about archival.....ever seen the anal attention to accuracy that the devs have? Yeah...it's about perfection, not some hacked-up game that skimps by.
I suppose the VCR is a tool invented for the piracy of movies. People who tape movies off of television instead of buying the DVD should go to prison for movie piracy. Remember, every time you tape something, god kills a kitten.
Anyone remember when that hullabaloo came about....I believe it was the MPAA made an attempt to stop the sale of VCR's saying they promoted piracy? Or...uh....am I the only old one in here.......
black mariah
Banned User

Post by black mariah »

Yeah...it's about perfection, not some hacked-up game that skimps by.
The mamedevs claim they want perfect emulation, yet they don't care about the game's playability.

WHICH IS IT? The two are not mutually exclusive. The fact of the matter is that the mamedevs set up some rather stupid bounds that they will work in. These bounds are utterly, absolutely, arbitrary. When a game is chugging along at 2 FPS and the technology exists (through HLE) to make it run at perfect speed, they won't do it because of some braindead need to make the thing run only on a CPU without any help from the GPU.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Damocles wrote: Anyone remember when that hullabaloo came about....I believe it was the MPAA made an attempt to stop the sale of VCR's saying they promoted piracy? Or...uh....am I the only old one in here.......
...and tape decks would kill record sales because people could record songs off the radio and MP3s and filesharing will kill off CD and DVD sales etc etc... You don't have to be old to hear that kind of thinking.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb

Post by Guest »

Message boards used to be a place where people had rational, intelligent discussion about things. Message boards have since become tools for little nerds with no lives to sit around waiting to pick fights, and then gang up against people five on one and post insults and put-downs about people to boost their own self-esteem. This started off as a thread about hardware emulation, therefore I accept no responsibility for people like teenwolf, snap monkey, Dave K, Naiera, and Bar81, and Kron posting insults and put-downs in an attempt to turn this into flame war fuckfest for their own personal gratification, in trying to use this forum to make up for what they may be lacking in real life. It's amazing, seeing how people flock to this message like flies just to post their insults to make themselves feel better. How many people have actually responded to this message and posted nothing but insults and put-downs, and said nothing at all about the original subject matter.

Jesus christ teenwolf, that is one rather long message you wrote just to make fun of me. You must have looked forward to writing that all day, and then showed it to your buddies on yahoo instant messenger, who also found it funny, thus making you feel good about yourself. If your self-esteem is that low that you will spend an hour writing a message just to make fun of somebody else on the internet to make yourself look better, that is pretty pathetic. I implore you, go out and do something in real life, instead of trying to use this forum to boost your own self-esteem.

I'm dead serious...the fact that so many of you literally jump at the chance to make fun of somebody over the internet in tandem for fun shows you probably don't have alot going for you. I have severe concerns about the future of some of you, if insulting somebody on a message board to feel good about yourself is all you have going for you right now.

:)
russ

Post by russ »

I do agree with Dark Saibot, minus the long defensive posts - instead of ridiculing the topic with sarcastic and flame-inducing posts, *some* of us could have taken it a bit more seriously by informing Dark Saibot on the issue. My two cents.
"No beer until you've finished your tequila!"
black mariah
Banned User

Post by black mariah »

Dark Saibot wrote:Message boards used to be a place where people had rational, intelligent discussion about things.
Bullshit. Flamewars have existed since the earliest days of Usenet.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

russ wrote:I do agree with Dark Saibot, minus the long defensive posts - instead of ridiculing the topic with sarcastic and flame-inducing posts, *some* of us could have taken it a bit more seriously by informing Dark Saibot on the issue. My two cents.
Nah. I think if you're going to post a pretty over-the-top request (something that 2 minutes of googling could've answer in short, and 20 minutes in great detail) you deserve to be bashed. I will call on all my fellow internet acquaintances to show me no reserve when I do such thoughtless things.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

I seriously thought this was a sarcastic joke thread. After learning he was serious, my only other comment was to drop it, as he has a very different view of the world than the rest of us.
Bar81

Post by Bar81 »

You post a jackass thread, you get beat down. Don't like it, get off the internet bitch :twisted:
snap monkey

Post by snap monkey »

black mariah wrote:The mamedevs claim they want perfect emulation, yet they don't care about the game's playability.

WHICH IS IT? The two are not mutually exclusive.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search? ... 0exclusive

You make no sense. The term "mutually exclusive" is synonymous with "contradictory." I think I know what you are trying to say, but contradicting yourself makes it very hard for people to take you seriously.
Last edited by snap monkey on Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raiden

Post by raiden »

I'm dead serious...the fact that so many of you literally jump at the chance to make fun of somebody over the internet in tandem for fun shows you probably don't have alot going for you. I have severe concerns about the future of some of you, if insulting somebody on a message board to feel good about yourself is all you have going for you right now.
what does "having something going for oneself" mean exactly? It seems like an idiomatic expression, but I don´t get it.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

snap monkey wrote:
Dark Saibot wrote:Anyway, I could give two fucks what you have to say about me... I got enough going on that I could give two fucks about this place or what some little nerd kid on the internet has to say about me.
Saying that you could give two fucks about something would imply that you do care.
love it cause its funny.

hey, can you not not not not take me to the mall?
i for one think we should continue to pick apart his posts based on phrase usage.
I have no sig whatsoever.

Post by Guest »

You post a jackass thread, you get beat down. Don't like it, get off the internet bitch
Are you serious? Such sentiment could only come from the mouth of a ten year old.
i for one think we should continue to pick apart his posts based on phrase usage.
Yes guys, let's continue to post insults and put-downs about dark saibot over the internet, we obviously have nothing else to do today. :)

Ah well, I see that things have cooled down a bit. I've made it clear that I don't become angry over things on the internet, and I won't be roped into childish games such as insult fests and flame wars. If it's not possible to post a message about emulation without it turning into a flame war, that really makes this forum look bad. What are new users going to think when they see one person post a message about emulation, and then get flamed to death by about seven other users, that gives this forum a pretty poor impression.

I guarantee you that probably 90% of the people on this forum have emulators, or have used them before. Therefore flaming somebody for posting a question about emulation is absolute hypocracy. I don't know how the moderators feel about the subject, but if it were me, I don't see any reason why those people I mentioned shouldn't be banned from this place for posting constant insults and attempting to start a flame war out of an otherwise normal topic.

As far as emulation, I know it is a very controversial issue. However, I have been a game collector all my life, I have 30+ game systems, and somewhere between 450 and 500 games...it starts to get a little expensive after a while. People like me have made companies like Nintendo, Sony, and Sega rich over the years. Maybe sometimes you get sick of paying outrageously high prices(as in the $50+ range) on games just because of the way people bid on ebay. I think both emulation and collecting have their advantages, however, I refuse to pay more than $50 for a game, after all the money I have spent on games over the years I refuse to be ripped off by paying that much for a game. I'd love to just walk down the street to EBGames and get a new copy of Border Down for $20, but that is not possible. I believe I've made my case, any further insults or childish remarks will be ignored.
Bar81

Post by Bar81 »

Save the sanctimonious bullshit for people who are too stupid to know any better. You're not talking about emulation, you're talking about piracy. You're a moron and you won't get any sympathy here or from any other self respecting gamers. YOU are ignored.
Ord

Post by Ord »

Bar81 wrote:Save the sanctimonious bullshit for people who are too stupid to know any better. You're not talking about emulation, you're talking about piracy. You're a moron and you won't get any sympathy here or from any other self respecting gamers. YOU are ignored.
Well said that man!
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

Sell some of your 30+ systems and games :wink:
My Trying Not To
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

Dark Saibot wrote:I'd love to just walk down the street to EBGames and get a new copy of Border Down for $20, but that is not possible.
You obviously don't think much of the game if you think it should only be worth $20.

If you are such an avid collector Dark Saibot, why do you bitch about game prices so much?? Rare games of more value cost more, shouldn't you be used to this kind of thing by now as a game collector?? I just don't understand it, I would gladley pay 50 to a 100 dollars for Boarder Down, especially BD LE. I paid $80 for mine. It is a great game and worth every penny.
Zweihander

Post by Zweihander »

this thread fails at internet.
Schrodinger's cat wrote:Yeah, "shmup" really sounds like a term a Jewish grandmother would insult you with.
Gozur

Post by Gozur »

I am amazed this thread hasn't been locked.

NAOMI hardware isn't the same as a Dreamcast. The Dreamcast is based off of NAOMI which is why there were so many kick ass ports to Dreamcast like IKARUGA, BORDER DOWN, CHAOS FIELD, Marvel Vs Capcom 2, etc.. From what I understand via the MAME devs is that NAOMI emulation will not happen for quite some time due to the hardware requirements to accurate recreate the NAOMI(1) hardware. Somewhere in the are of 6+ Ghz CPU, etc.

Chankast is likely the best chance of emulating NAOMI1 in the near future. (from what I've read).

Of course only time will tell.
-Goz

NAOMI games: Border Down, Ikaruga, Trizeal, Chaos Field, Heavy Metal
Atomiswave: Dolphin Blue, Demolish Fist, Rumble Fish, Knights of Valour
Cabs: Crown powered by DC, Windy powered by Saturn & DC, Cyberlead

Post by Guest »

Save the sanctimonious bullshit for people who are too stupid to know any better. You're not talking about emulation, you're talking about piracy. You're a moron and you won't get any sympathy here or from any other self respecting gamers. YOU are ignored.
Oh darn. Seeing as how this message board consitutes my entire social life, I suppose I should go find a good sturdy rope with which to lynch myself with and end my painful existence, since some kid on the internet that I don't know and will never meet in my life has found the audacity to sit there from the safety of his home and type with his keyboard over the internet that he and his constituency of computer vegetables consider me a moron and don't like me. Sob sob.

Ah well, all these insults and put-downs directed at me clearly come directly from anger. Jealousy is the root of all anger. You people are jealous of the fact that I am smart enough to know that I can get a game for free, and save myself $80-$100, while you are still paying collector prices for games. One day you people will wake up and realize that video gaming is such a ripoff and waste of peoples money. They're laughing their asses off at Sony corporate headquarters right now that the GTA series is so successful when it is such a crap game. They laugh, and say, haha, those idiots fall for our marketting scheme every time and rush out and spend $50 on a game the day it comes out just because they fall hook, line, and sinker for our pre-market hype campaigns.

Ah well, I tried to obtain Border Down for a rational price, and when that didn't succeed, I resorted to other means. This "piracy" you speak of in such an ill tone was not born out of the desire to obtain OMG FREE GAMEZ LOL, rather, people like myself tired of being ripped off by companies like Nintendo, Sony, and whoever else by spending too much for a game. Think about it long and hard, and consider what I've said, before you post your next reply and say OMG SIBOT IS IN IDIOT LOOOOOL
Dynamite Force

Post by Dynamite Force »

Holy crap!! Is is safe to come out? <_< >_>

To those of you are down with piracy, has it ever occurred to you that Ebay and downloading ROMs aren't your only options?

Don't feel like spending $100 on an SNES game on Ebay? Try the flea market or the bargain bins at Gamestop or wherever you go to buy games. You'll be surprised what you'll find. Not only that, they'll be 80-90 percent cheaper than if you were to buy it online.

EDIT: Case in point, that $100 Mega Man X3 someone spoke of. I went to EB Games one day, found it, and got it for less than $30.
I have always wanted a thing called tuna sashimi.
Capt. Takehiko

Post by Capt. Takehiko »

Though I don't live in the country of origin, I assume it is extremely unlikely that you would find a cheap DC Border Down in one of those bargain bins.
The Captain.