Will Border Down ever be emulated?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware

Will Border Down ever be emulated?

Post by Guest »

Mame version .97 just came out, and there's still no support for Border Down. Does anybody know the exact reason why it is not supported yet? Are they having trouble emulating the game's hardware properly, or have they just not even tried yet?
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I believe Naomi has not been cracked yet.. Might be wrong though.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Bar81

Post by Bar81 »

If you're Jonesing that bad why not just buy the DC version?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Dark Saibot wrote:Mame version .97 just came out, and there's still no support for Border Down.
LOL! I nearly pee'd my pants laughing when I read this post!
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

:lol:

Post by Guest »

Do you mean why would I rather download it for free than spend $100+ on the DC import version? Tough one :)
...are you on crack dude?
black mariah
Banned User

Post by black mariah »

There are ways other than emulation. I'm not really into game piracy, but when it comes to games I can only play by buying a second hand version for stupid-high prices I'm all for it. :lol: I'll PM you some info. ;)
Blow up self to involve enemies.
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Naiera

Post by Naiera »

Dark Saibot wrote: Do you mean why would I rather download it for free than spend $100+ on the DC import version? Tough one :)
Are customs stricter in Iceland than in Denmark? Usually eBay and Play-Asia are safe havens for people who don't like paying an extra 38%. It seems you've waited around for this to be emulated, but until recently this game was no more expensive than most other games, so the $100+ to get an original copy seems like an exaggeration.
jp

Post by jp »

Naiera wrote:
Dark Saibot wrote: Do you mean why would I rather download it for free than spend $100+ on the DC import version? Tough one :)
Are customs stricter in Iceland than in Denmark? Usually eBay and Play-Asia are safe havens for people who don't like paying an extra 38%. It seems you've waited around for this to be emulated, but until recently this game was no more expensive than most other games, so the $100+ to get an original copy seems like an exaggeration.

Maybe he really wants the LE? *shrugs*

I don't know when the LE will be emulated though. :lol:
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
Bar81

Post by Bar81 »

Dark Saibot wrote:
Do you mean why would I rather download it for free than spend $100+ on the DC import version? Tough one :)
...are you on crack dude?
You mean, why are you such a jackass that you would ask why you can't pirate a game yet?
black mariah
Banned User

Post by black mariah »

:roll:
visuatrox

Re: Will Border Down ever be emulated?

Post by visuatrox »

Lol there is just so many things wrong with this thread, this must be a joke :lol:

Although if is not, then this is just sad. Mame is for preserving old arcade games, not a tool for pirating new ones.
black mariah
Banned User

Re: Will Border Down ever be emulated?

Post by black mariah »

visuatrox wrote:Mame is for preserving old arcade games, not a tool for pirating new ones.
Keep telling yourself that...
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

First of all for those that are lost: How does one read the data off of a GD-ROM?
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Just putting my mark here before the lock. :wink:

A wise man (Landshark) once said:

"I like Tacos."

Words of wisdom for those who have ears.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.

Post by Guest »

That's extremely mature, mannerbot. I bet that your 7th grade classmates also found it amusing.
The Iceland jokes are not funny. In fact, they're pretty retarded. At least come up with something original. :)

Anyway, I don't know how familiar you are with ebay, but ebay prices on alot of things are bullshit. Mega Man X3 going for $80-$100 for example.
Although if is not, then this is just sad. Mame is for preserving old arcade games, not a tool for pirating new ones.
Whatever the hell these people think about what I say, what you just said is about the biggest load of shit I've heard in a long time. I'm sure that everybody who downloads MAME games has an entire room full of arcade machines in their house, right. You must think you live in a fairy tale world or something dude. Border Down is what, 6 years old, therefore it can technically be considered abandonware. It's not exactly like downloading X-Box or PS2 games.

I usually only download games that can not be owned for rational prices. Neo Geo games for example. Spending several hundred dollars on a game when you can download it for free is retarded. I'd rather have the real thing but if it's going to cost me more than about $50 then sorry. Even still, I usually don't download a game unless I already own it or unless it's virtually impossible to obtain the original. There are also many advantages that emulators have, such as graphics/sound dumping, online multiplayer abilities, etc. Think of that before you pass judgement and start labelling people like an idiot.
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Dark Saibot wrote:That's extremely mature, mannerbot. I bet that your 7th grade classmates also found it amusing.
Thanks!
Dark Saibot wrote:Border Down is what, 6 years old, therefore it can technically be considered abandonware. It's not exactly like downloading X-Box or PS2 games.
Try two years genius. So yes, it would be exactly like downloading an Xbox or PS2 game.

Post by Guest »

Wow, the fact that you replied to my message a full 3 minutes after I posted it shows that you must have been sitting here all day waiting for my response. You must have alot of things going on for you, mannerbot.

Anyway, as much as you'd love to rub it in my face that you were right, evidently you were wrong too...so don't apply for Harvard just yet, "Genius." I researched it and sources indicate Border Down as having a 2002 release, making it 3 years old. I was just misinformed the first time around, as I read a review of the game that indicated it as being released in 1999. Ah well, 3 years old is still somewhat defunct, exactly how many people are still in line to profit off the game at this point. Thus, I stand by my original claim, downloading a game that the company no longer stands to make money off of doesn't hurt anybody. You could think of it as like taping a movie you like off of television.

OMG U R PIRATING GO BY THE DVD LOLOLOL!!!111111111 sounds pretty stupid.
black mariah
Banned User

Post by black mariah »

GaijinPunch wrote:First of all for those that are lost: How does one read the data off of a GD-ROM?
I'm not entirely sure of the method, but I do know that it involves extracting it through the broadband adapter. The transfer rate SUCKS ASS so it takes about 12 hours or more to rip a game.
zakk

Post by zakk »

That was amazing. In a SINGLE POST we managed to get a 'lol you have no life' type "response" and piracy justification. Thread of the month here, folks.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Er... discussing the likelyhood of DC/Naomi emulation in the near (or far) future is fine, but we really don't need Piracy Flamewar #12483247. Could we get back on topic please?
Akira
Site Admin

Post by Akira »

Yeah I'll nick this car I've seen all day at the front of my house. It's obvious that after 10 hours of not using it, someone must have abandoned it and it is for me to take for free!

"exactly how many people are still in line to profit off the game at this point"

Yeah, Namco ain't making money out of Pacman!
And no one has invented the IP rights!
.:[ BLAST OFF AND STRIKE THE EVIL BYDO EMPIRE! ]:.
black mariah
Banned User

Post by black mariah »

:roll:
thesuperkillerxxx

Post by thesuperkillerxxx »

:twisted:
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

I'm not entirely sure of the method, but I do know that it involves extracting it through the broadband adapter. The transfer rate SUCKS ASS so it takes about 12 hours or more to rip a game.
Sorry about that. Should've made myself clearer.  I meant a NAOMI GD-Rom... AFAIK, you can't extract the data, which is what makes this post so ridiculous.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

This thread has ultimately lead me to smile for the first time tonight.

The internet is like the old West. If you can't have it for your own price, steal it.

Its kind of backwards in a way, because BDLE will likely always fetch high prices. Yet if you spent $50 on GTA:SA it will likely be worth $12 by Xmas. Which is the better deal?

Oh well its only Entertainment. :D
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
visuatrox

Post by visuatrox »

Dark Saibot wrote:I usually only download games that can not be owned for rational prices. Neo Geo games for example. Spending several hundred dollars on a game when you can download it for free is retarded. I'd rather have the real thing but if it's going to cost me more than about $50 then sorry. Even still, I usually don't download a game unless I already own it or unless it's virtually impossible to obtain the original. There are also many advantages that emulators have, such as graphics/sound dumping, online multiplayer abilities, etc. Think of that before you pass judgement and start labelling people like an idiot.
Personally I always prefer playing the real thing. Well I guess a rational price is subjective, I have paid $100 for many old PS1 games. Border Down is a relatively new game, it is not particularly expensive either if you don't want a sealed limited edition. I couldn't care less if you wanted to pirate/emulate some ancient arcade games, but now you are talking about a game just a few years old. Shmups can also be seen as an investment, they rarely drop much in value, actually many of them go up in value (just like RPG's)

Sure you may not hurt the developers much by copying it now, still wondering why it has not been emulated yet.. isn't it obvious?. Most of the Mame developers want to preserve old arcade games, so emulating something that is fairly new and avaible is pointless. Sure you may see Mame as a way for you to pirate games, but most of the developers don't see it that way. If you want to emulate it now that bad, then start coding :P
teenwolf

Post by teenwolf »

Dark Saibot wrote:
Whatever the hell these people think about what I say, what you just said is about the biggest load of shit I've heard in a long time.
Dark Saibot wrote:I'm sure that everybody who downloads MAME games has an entire room full of arcade machines in their house, right. You must think you live in a fairy tale world or something dude. Border Down is what, 6 years old, therefore it can technically be considered abandonware. It's not exactly like downloading X-Box or PS2 games.
You sir, are a laugh riot. The Border Down NAOMI GD-ROM was released on 2003/09/25. You know how I came by that amazingly rare and hard to find information??? I took all of 4-5 seconds to type "border down" into google and then click on the third result, which is the actual G.rev site. I guess you have less time to spare in Iceland for such frivolities as fact checking though, what with the smaller amount of daylight and all.
http://www.grev.co.jp/border_down/

Maybe it is just me, but I find it quite amusing that you would first actually expect that Border Down should have been working in Mame by now. Not that you even really seem to know much about the game itself, just that it should be working in Mame by now, regardless of any technical issues. But better yet, that you would state that you would rather download it for free, to assumedly play using Mame, than to spend $100+ on the DC import.... Did it ever cross your mind to maybe check for a *gasp* DC pirated solution to your little problem? oh no, that would be just too easy.

I always thought that people from Iceland were a bit quicker than most. What with icy death stalking every misstep in that frozen wasteland.

Dark Saibot wrote:Think of that before you pass judgement and start labelling people like an idiot.

Like I said, you are a laugh riot.
"Jessica never tries to be sexy. She just is sexy. If you put her in a T-shirt or you put her in a bustier, she's sexy in both. She's got double D's! You can't cover those suckers up!" - Joe Simpson, Jessica Simpsons father
Kron

Post by Kron »

Also there is no such thing as abandonware, Its just another term made up by internet thieves to justify to themselves that stealing a piece of software beyond a certain number of years is somehow acceptable.

It even says as much in the HoTu FAQ.