15KHz RGB...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
ED-057

15KHz RGB...

Post by ED-057 »

I am looking for a way to display 15KHz RGB video, particularly because I got an Amiga 2000, although my Saturn, Genesis, SNES, and Apple IIGS also output such a signal if I understand correctly.

Is there any chance that *random SVGA monitor* supports 15KHz?

What would be an appropriate VGA box (scan doubler) and how would the cost compare to buying/shipping a real Amiga monitor?

Alternatively, is there a doodad that would convert RGB to a chroma signal I could feed into my Commodore 1702?
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

An SVGA monitor will not support 15khz. In the US, you're kind of screwed. You've got the Commodore/Amiga route, or you can find a professional Sony (PVM, etc) broadcast monitor and get custom cables made. That's about it for real RGB.

You can get an XRGB2 and display it on a monitor with pretty good "fake" results. There are lots of ways to tweak the picture. I could be mistaken, but I would think different games look better in different settings. Not as good as traditional, but is not a terrible option considering the cost/effort involved in getting RGB in the US.
matt

Re: 15KHz RGB...

Post by matt »

ED-057 wrote:Is there any chance that *random SVGA monitor* supports 15KHz?
Yes! There are a number of monitors that work with 15khz. A good (but not 100% complete) list can be found here:

http://www.msxpro.com/mon15khz.html
What would be an appropriate VGA box (scan doubler) and how would the cost compare to buying/shipping a real Amiga monitor?
An XRGB2 would cost more than buying a dedicated RGB monitor. But, shipping would be much less.

If you're patient, you can almost certainly find a used RGB monitor locally, which could cost almost nothing depending where you buy it.
Alternatively, is there a doodad that would convert RGB to a chroma signal I could feed into my Commodore 1702?
Yes, there is. The popular "Jrok" converter will do the job. IIRC there were a few such devices produced for the Amiga market back in the day - you may be able to find one of these used.

You'd get much better image quality with a real RGB monitor, though, and the price wouldn't be too much more.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Didn't know those Mitsubishi's did 15Khz. Had one a LOOOONG time ago. If I'm not mistaken, everything on that list is pretty old. Ebay to the resque.
matt

Post by matt »

Most of the Mitsubishi monitors will do higher resolutions than 15khz as well, which is perfect for Dreamcast, Xbox, etc.

There are some newer Mitsubishis (and others) that'll work. As I said, the list I linked to isn't totally complete.

Besides, old = cheap = good!
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Do you have to make your own cables? I can't recall what I had but it was a Diamondscan. I don't recall anything on it other than a standard VGA connection. Indeed it might not've been capable for the older frequency.
matt

Post by matt »

Not all Diamond Scans take 15khz - only a few models.

There are a number of 15khz-capable monitors that use a normal VGA connector.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Crazy news... I was sure it was either one or the other.
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

Thanks for the info everyone. I have an old Samsung monitor which I'll have to check to see if it's one of the lucky ones. If not I want to get one of the RGB->YCr converters.
jdsony

Post by jdsony »

What's the benefit of running games at 15khz? I have an old Commodore 1084 monitor which is 15khz and I love it but if I'm just plugging in with an S-Video connection converted to 2 RCA's does that mean it's going to be 15khz or does my PC need to be outputting the correct signal as well? I plan to rig up an RGB connection to it but haven't gotten around to it yet.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

15Khz monitors usually have some type of RGB input. Often it's something that has to be homemade, but they're usually not too tricky if you have patience. RGB is better quality than S-Video. If the monitor in question has no RGB input, then you shouldn't bother.