ps2 boot disk for playing imports?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dboeren

ps2 boot disk for playing imports?

Post by dboeren »

I just realized that there are some pretty good shooters for PS2, but they are mostly for japanese PS2. Can anyone recommend a good PS2 boot disc to enable playing imported games? Who sells them?

Thanks!
ForteMP3

Post by ForteMP3 »

Unfortunately, boot discs like Swap Magic still require some modifications to your PS2, there is no method that's 100% software based that will let you play imports.

I hear Swap Magic is pretty reliable, but it does involve removing part of your PS2's disc cover and using a slide card to manually release the tray from the locked position. This is assuming you have a classic PS2...I have no idea how one goes about playing imports and the like on the new Slim model.
YOU ARE APPROACHING THE TARGET OF ATTACK! THE MISSION STARTS NOW! ARE YOU READY?!
Neon

Post by Neon »

get swap magics from modchipstore.com. Cheap and easy to use ("modifications?" no, just take the front cover off the disc tray, just yoink that off and your modification is finished).

wrong section, btw ;)

It's good that more people will see this though.
cdawg4949

Post by cdawg4949 »

I sure as heck wanted to know, I was under the idea that I had to mod a ps2 to play these games. This may just open a whole new shumpping world to me. Then again, it's my roomates ps2 and I dont think he would enjoy me ripping the cover off.

-CODY-
Neon

Post by Neon »

it's just the front little traypiece, if he cares about that he should probably be stabbed in the eyes.
Berty

Post by Berty »

I use the independance sxploit to play original imports on my PS2 without modification. The only trouble is that when you get a new import you have to put your ps2 hard drive in the pc and copy it accros that way. It was quite easy to do once i had all of the stuff.
vek

Post by vek »

Berty wrote:I use the independance sxploit to play original imports on my PS2 without modification. The only trouble is that when you get a new import you have to put your ps2 hard drive in the pc and copy it accros that way. It was quite easy to do once i had all of the stuff.
what does this involve? just copying the disc image to the ps2 hard drive and connecting it up? nothing else needed?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

SwapMagic will not play Korean imports at all. I have a flip top with swapmagic, and HDLoader/HDAdvance, and nothing will let me play Psyvariar Complete and XII Stag. Getting a modchip is the only way to play ALL imports.
cdawg4949

Post by cdawg4949 »

Since we are talking about it anyways, (prolly should move the thread)
why are some modchips 90 bucks while others are 30?
Wouldn't cheaper be better, they only serve 1 purpose.

-CODY-
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Moved to Hardware.
the2bears

Post by the2bears »

Dave_K. wrote:SwapMagic will not play Korean imports at all. I have a flip top with swapmagic, and HDLoader/HDAdvance, and nothing will let me play Psyvariar Complete and XII Stag. Getting a modchip is the only way to play ALL imports.
By "flip top" you mean the new slimline PStwo? That's what I've got. Did swapmagic play Japanese imports? I'm thinking of getting sm but I want to be sure it works...

Thanks,

Bill
system11

Post by system11 »

Eventually, after looking at all the options, I just bought a Japanese PS2 - they're not expensive 2nd hand.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

the2bears wrote:
Dave_K. wrote:SwapMagic will not play Korean imports at all. I have a flip top with swapmagic, and HDLoader/HDAdvance, and nothing will let me play Psyvariar Complete and XII Stag. Getting a modchip is the only way to play ALL imports.
By "flip top" you mean the new slimline PStwo? That's what I've got. Did swapmagic play Japanese imports? I'm thinking of getting sm but I want to be sure it works...

Thanks,

Bill
No, I got a fliptop case for my origingal PS2. The new Slim PS2's will have to be modded as well to work with SwapMagic. Anyway, the point is SwapMagic doesn't cover all import needs, so its better to have a modchip installed.

Like cdawg4949, my only question now is whats the main difference between these expensive, and cheaper modchips (when it comes to just playing original import discs).
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Dave_K. wrote:Like cdawg4949, my only question now is whats the main difference between these expensive, and cheaper modchips (when it comes to just playing original import discs).
With a lower priced clone there's an increased risk of getting a bad chip. Otherwise for the sole purpose of going all-region, the differences between the brands seem to be negligible. The more expensive ones have some extra features for homebrew devs, RGB capable all-region DVD movie player, etc.
TalkingOctopus

Post by TalkingOctopus »

Hey Dave. You can play XIIStag using HDAdvance. First, I made an iso image on my computer. Then I connected the ps2 hd to my computer. I transfered the image from my computer to the ps2 hard drive using WinHIIP. I have the image using the default mode. It runs fine. I have a v10 ps2 w/ HDAdvabce and a maxtor 120 GB. I used the Korean version of XII Stag. Kind of a pain but it works...

However, Psyvariar Complete is incompatible with hdloader/advance.
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Anyone figure out a way to play Psyvariar 2 final on a modded ps2? I get a black screen after the boot up intro supposely due to a second region check.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

TalkingOctopus wrote:
Hey Dave. You can play XIIStag using HDAdvance. First, I made an iso image on my computer. Then I connected the ps2 hd to my computer. I transfered the image from my computer to the ps2 hard drive using WinHIIP. I have the image using the default mode. It runs fine. I have a v10 ps2 w/ HDAdvabce and a maxtor 120 GB. I used the Korean version of XII Stag. Kind of a pain but it works...

However, Psyvariar Complete is incompatible with hdloader/advance.
Hmm...I've tried something similar but used HDL_Dumb to load the ISO on the drive. I'll have to try WinHIIP (although I don't see how it will make a difference). What program did you use to cut the ISO? I think that may have been my problem. BTW: nice to see a fellow BYOAC'r over on the boards here :-)
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Wanderer wrote:Anyone figure out a way to play Psyvariar 2 final on a modded ps2? I get a black screen after the boot up intro supposely due to a second region check.
My modded PS2 runs the game perfectly, so it sounds like you've got an old-fashioned mod chip. I don't know enough about these things to say if it can be "upgraded" or replaced with a better model.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
PC Engine Fan X!

It is better to get your PS2 chipped with an DMS3 mod chip

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

oxtsu wrote:
Dave_K. wrote:Like cdawg4949, my only question now is whats the main difference between these expensive, and cheaper modchips (when it comes to just playing original import discs).
With a lower priced clone there's an increased risk of getting a bad chip. Otherwise for the sole purpose of going all-region, the differences between the brands seem to be negligible. The more expensive ones have some extra features for homebrew devs, RGB capable all-region DVD movie player, etc.
Oxtsu is correct in that the more expensive PS2 mod chips do allow one to have all-region DVD player, RGB-green screen removed option, all-region PS2 game support, and homebrew devs like being able to play MAME emus on your PS2 (via a 160 GB HD) is all possible with a DMS3 mod chip. I've got the very first DMS3 mod chip version and it was professionally installed by Matt (moderator on the old Shmups.com site) and worth the money for it alone.

Oxtsu, your Psyvariar2 goods/Cannon Spike package arrived at my addy safe & sound. Thanks again! ^_~

PC Engine Fan X!
Berty

Post by Berty »

I wondered where this thread went...

anyway, I am using the memcard exploit to boot HDLoader under PS2Menu-K. I can confirm that Psyvariar Ultimate Fianl does not work under any circumstances, nor is their a patch for it.

Most of my other shmups allwork fine though, except for gradius 5 which i always have to use the original for :(

I use HDLoader to play imports as well as backing my stuff up and the load times are heaps faster.
TalkingOctopus

Post by TalkingOctopus »

Dave_K. wrote:Hmm...I've tried something similar but used HDL_Dumb to load the ISO on the drive. I'll have to try WinHIIP (although I don't see how it will make a difference). What program did you use to cut the ISO? I think that may have been my problem. BTW: nice to see a fellow BYOAC'r over on the boards here :-)
First, I tried Nero, but I was not having any luck with it. So I went searching for an alternative and found a WinXP power tool that records iso images that seems to work nicely. http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/Beta.htm Use the non-beta if you don't have SP2 installed.

I actually read on another forum that XII Stag is incompatible w/ hdloader, but at that point my order had already been made. When it arrived, I was quite surprised that it worked without a hitch.
Berty

Post by Berty »

The best program for making ISO's to the PS2 is WinHiip or Clone DVD

This site here has the most comprehensive compatability list for HDLoader

http://ps2hd.com/
Darkcomet72

Post by Darkcomet72 »

Can anyone tell me if the Magic Switchfor the new PStwo is any good?
Ed: He asked for mustard Eddy! Do you have corn in your ears mister?