candy cab recommendation for vertical shmups?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
droid

candy cab recommendation for vertical shmups?

Post by droid »

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a japanese cab to play verts on..Which would you recommend between a sega astrocity, konami windy or capcom impress?

Thanks,
Droid
BIG

Post by BIG »

Astro City,since it has the nicest monitor (Nanao) out of the three.

B-
greg

Post by greg »

Let us know where you're planning on buying your cab from. I'd like to get one someday myself, but I'm hesitant to buy from some places like Arcade Infinity after reading the horror stories.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

All the variations of the Astro cab are mono. The Windy has true stereo. The windy monitor is also very good. But you have to be a little more cautious rotating the Windy as its not mounted using a standard frame.

*edit* This should probably be in the hardware forum.
raiden

Post by raiden »

well, there aren´t that many shmups which output stereo, are there? CPS2, Seibu, maybe other systems like ST-V and F3... but the majority of single board games probably don´t. If there is a list somewhere showing which games do, I´d be pretty interested to see that.
BIG

Post by BIG »

Dave_K. wrote:All the variations of the Astro cab are mono. The Windy has true stereo. The windy monitor is also very good. But you have to be a little more cautious rotating the Windy as its not mounted using a standard frame.

*edit* This should probably be in the hardware forum.
Since most JAMMA boards output mono,that shouldn't be a problem.

B-
BIG

Post by BIG »

raiden wrote:well, there aren´t that many shmups which output stereo, are there? CPS2, Seibu, maybe other systems like ST-V and F3... but the majority of single board games probably don´t. If there is a list somewhere showing which games do, I´d be pretty interested to see that.
All of the forementioned boards output mono,with the exception of CPS2,which is capable of outputting both stereo and mono.

B-
raiden

Post by raiden »

Seibu boards have a separate stereo output. You need a PC audio cable to connect it to the speakers, from the top of the PCB, not from the Jamma harness.
So ST-V and Taito F3 don´t have stereo? That´s too bad. What about PGM?
black mariah
Banned User

Post by black mariah »

raiden wrote:If there is a list somewhere showing which games do, I´d be pretty interested to see that.
http://www.klov.com has that kind of info. :wink:
Blow up self to involve enemies.
raiden

Post by raiden »

http://www.klov.com has that kind of info.
yeah well, I was looking for a list showing at a quick glance which games have stereo. If I´m not mistaken, at KLOV I have to browse each game separately, making this a job of several days...
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

black mariah wrote:
raiden wrote:If there is a list somewhere showing which games do, I´d be pretty interested to see that.
http://www.klov.com has that kind of info. :wink:
KLOV has incorrect info on sound, because they got most of that stuff from the mame roms...and mame reports most sound chips as stereo even though they are wired mono (for the jamma spec).
BIG wrote: Since most JAMMA boards output mono,that shouldn't be a problem.
B-
True, I just thought I'd post the difference for those that may care like me (I run consoles inside my cabs as well which sound much better in stereo :D ). I also have Namco System 10 boards which use a stereo-out connector.
BIG

Post by BIG »

Dave_K. wrote: True, I just thought I'd post the difference for those that may care like me (I run consoles inside my cabs as well which sound much better in stereo :D ). I also have Namco System 10 boards which use a stereo-out connector.
I play my consoles (PS/2,DC) via cab as well,and the difference between mono and stereo isn't that big of a deal.

Are you sure you're getting stereo out of your Windy? I know Windys are mono by nature,so are you using a seperate connector for stereo,then?

'sides,I think the guy is looking for a nice cab to play vert-PCBs,not consoles.

B-
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

BIG wrote:
Dave_K. wrote: True, I just thought I'd post the difference for those that may care like me (I run consoles inside my cabs as well which sound much better in stereo :D ). I also have Namco System 10 boards which use a stereo-out connector.
I play my consoles (PS/2,DC) via cab as well,and the difference between mono and stereo isn't that big of a deal.

Are you sure you're getting stereo out of your Windy? I know Windys are mono by nature,so are you using a seperate connector for stereo,then?

'sides,I think the guy is looking for a nice cab to play vert-PCBs,not consoles.

B-
My windy came with a seperate konami stereo plug which can bypass the jamma mono lines. The volume control is a single gang-pot wired for both right and left. For standard PCB shmup playing an Astro is just fine. The only stereo pcb I have is dimahoo.
japtor

Post by japtor »

greg wrote:Let us know where you're planning on buying your cab from. I'd like to get one someday myself, but I'm hesitant to buy from some places like Arcade Infinity after reading the horror stories.
supposedly ai is fine...if you can go there yourself. i havent tested this out, but if i put some machines in public ill probably do so.

a few days ago i saw someone in anaheim, ca selling an astro w/sf ex for $400, no bids at that time. youd have to rotate the monitor but otherwise it looked ok if you dont mind multiple button and stick colors.

anyways, i say astro, just cause i think it looks the best :P im fine with the mono sound on mine, but i dont have any stereo output boards so it doesnt matter. some hardware questions myself, how hard is it to mod it for stereo, or do you just swap speaker wires to a different connector? and whats the easiest dreamcast->jamma method? everything seems to point to scart cable mod + some audio board thing. ive seen some stuff on modding a vga box, but i forget if that handled audio.
What about PGM?
on ketsui and doj at least, they seem to be mono only.
BIG

Post by BIG »

Dave_K. wrote:
BIG wrote:

B-
My windy came with a seperate konami stereo plug which can bypass the jamma mono lines. The volume control is a single gang-pot wired for both right and left. For standard PCB shmup playing an Astro is just fine. The only stereo pcb I have is dimahoo.
So it basically outputs mono by default,correct? The Konami stereo plug is useless on non-Konami games,is it not?

Now,what I want to know is,how are you able to output stereo via consoles through a traditionally mono cab? Modification?

BTW,Dimahoo is mono by default,and not Stereo. You can only get stereo through those RCA jacks.

B-
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Moved to Hardware.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

droid wrote:Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a japanese cab to play verts on..Which would you recommend between a sega astrocity, konami windy or capcom impress?

Thanks,
Droid
Taito Egret II is better for the 'toggler'(switching between hori+vert), though it seems near impossible to find in the US right now. The monitor can be rotated without lifting the whole monitor out. Though if you plan to use the cab for verts only, it's a non-issue. Just speaking of the ability to play vertical games, the other three cabinets are all suitable.

I have a Konami Windy (monitor is FUBAR at the moment due to a botched rotating session). Very nice cab in general, but as Dave_K. mentioned, the monitor lacks a surrounding metal frame to protect the critical parts should anything go awry during the rotating process. It does have handles on the side of the monitor to make things slightly easier, which I haven't seen on the different Astro cabinet (someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). For rotating the Windy it's better to not pull the monitor out too far, rather just enough to clear the monitor support brackets.
Dave_K. wrote:All the variations of the Astro cab are mono.
Just from discussions I've had with a friend here (New Astro owner) and other documents, I'm thinking the New Astro and Astro 2 are stereo capable. Though it needs whatever PCB/system's seperate stereo cable wired into 4pin Astro sound connector (not included).
BIG wrote:So [Windy cabinet .edit] basically outputs mono by default,correct? The Konami stereo plug is useless on non-Konami games,is it not?
Default is dual-speaker mono, though it's very easy to change.. By switching connectors, the other options are the normal one speaker mono and stereo.

In general the outboard stereo connectors are specific to the arcade hardware or company, so yes, that one is useful only for Konami games like Xexex, etc.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

BIG wrote: So it basically outputs mono by default,correct? The Konami stereo plug is useless on non-Konami games,is it not?

Now,what I want to know is,how are you able to output stereo via consoles through a traditionally mono cab? Modification?

BTW,Dimahoo is mono by default,and not Stereo. You can only get stereo through those RCA jacks.
B-
The seperate konami sound plug uses a molex 4 pin sip connector. It works fine with Namco System 10 extra sound pins. I haven't hooked it up to my CPS2 board yet, but shouldn't be any problem wiring a sip->rca plug.

As for consoles...I don't have one in the windy at the moment. On one of my other cabs, I bypasses the jamma harness completely. I could do the same on the windy, but plan on making my own console->jamma+ converter.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

oxtsu wrote: I have a Konami Windy (monitor is FUBAR at the moment due to a botched rotating session).
The way to rotate a windy is to tip it on its back, pull up using handels and rotate. I do it myself. You will need 2 people to do it horizontally and risk cracking the neck.
oxtsu wrote:
Just from discussions I've had with a friend here (New Astro owner) and other documents, I'm thinking the New Astro and Astro 2 are stereo capable. Though it needs whatever PCB/system's seperate stereo cable wired into 4pin Astro sound connector (not included).
I have an Astro2, and a friend that has a New Astro. They are both mono amps.
oxtsu wrote: In general the outboard stereo connectors are specific to the arcade hardware or company, so yes, that one is useful only for Konami games like Xexex, etc.
For the newbie yes, but for anyone who can work a pair of wire strippers, there is nothing holding you back from making your own connectors. I do it all the time.
Last edited by Dave_K. on Mon May 30, 2005 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Dave_K. wrote:The seperate konami sound plug uses a molex 4 pin sip connector. It works fine with Namco System 10 extra sound pins.
Interesting, I wasn't aware that it was compatible with other hardware. Apologies for my error before. I was hoping it would work with Taito G-NET as well (looks almost identical 4-pin stereo connector), but it does not. I'll have to add the G-NET spec stereo cable later.
I haven't hooked it up to my CPS2 board yet, but shouldn't be any problem wiring a sip->rca plug.
Wouldn't there be the problem of speaker level vs line level output? Or are you thinking to amplify the CPS-II RCA output first?
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Dave_K. wrote:
oxtsu wrote: I have a Konami Windy (monitor is FUBAR at the moment due to a botched rotating session).
The way to rotate a windy is to tip it on its back, pull up using handels and rotate. I do it myself. You will need 2 people to do it horizontally and risk cracking the neck.
Yes, good idea. I pondered doing it that way, but didn't think it was necessary at the time. My situation, the problem was that a third guy came in and tried to help... a little too much. He kind of took over and swung the monitor too low (the top was rested on the mounts, bottom was swung at too extreme an angle). It looked like the neck would clear...not the case there. :cry: Ah well, live and learn. Still deciding whether to get the replacement monitor (US brand 27" model) or just chuck the thing for parts.
Dave_K. wrote:
oxtsu wrote:
I have an Astro2, and a friend that has a New Astro. They are both mono amps.
Ok, it's more theory here, hopefully you can shed some light...are the different PCB's sound amp supplying the 'sip',etc, stereo sound output or not? I assume it is, unlike CPS-II stereo sound from it's RCA jacks.
Dave._K wrote:
oxtsu wrote: In general the outboard stereo connectors are specific to the arcade hardware or company, so yes, that one is useful only for Konami games like Xexex, etc.
For the newbie yes, but for anyone who can work a pair of wire strippers, there is nothing holding you back from making your own connectors. I do it all the time.
I was only commenting that the stereo cable are mostly hardware specific. Not trying to imply that you're stuck with what you got, so to speak.
raiden

Post by raiden »

The seperate konami sound plug uses a molex 4 pin sip connector. It works fine with Namco System 10 extra sound pins. I haven't hooked it up to my CPS2 board yet, but shouldn't be any problem wiring a sip->rca plug.
where´s the stereo connector on the Namco System 10 board (I don´t know, is Mr. Driller 2 System 10 or another one)?
I can confirm there is a problem wiring speakers to a CPS2 rca output, I tried that and got no sound, because the rca outputs are designed to be wired to an amp. I´m still looking for a nice switch solution to have the speakers get their sound signal either through or around an amp.

Btw.: you mentioned the Astros to be "mono amp". I was thinking cabs don´t have amps at all, because most PCBs have an amp section on board already. Coinopexpress sells small amp PCBs for use with those games that don´t have a sound amp on board.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I bought 2 new astros.

One for hori, one for verts.

However, due to my collection of non jamma boards that wasn't enough. I have 3 boards which are vert but upside down with no means to flip without rotating the monitor. So I am building my own cabinet using a supergun and a TV, LS32's and happs buttons (or Sanwa depending if I can find a decent plate).
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
droid

Post by droid »

However, due to my collection of non jamma boards that wasn't enough. I have 3 boards which are vert but upside down with no means to flip without rotating the monitor.
Thats got to be frustrating. What are the 3 titles btw? I will be in a similar situation soon. I currently have a capcom impress for horis & trying to decide between the impress, astrocity or Windy to serve as a 2nd cab for verts. Go with the same or something different for variety...

Droid
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

raiden wrote:where´s the stereo connector on the Namco System 10 board (I don´t know, is Mr. Driller 2 System 10 or another one)?
There is a 4-pin connector on the System 10 board for stereo. I think Mr. Driller 2 is actually on a System 12 board...so I'm not positive the same connector is there. Mr Driller G is on a System 10 board and is what I have.
raiden wrote: Btw.: you mentioned the Astros to be "mono amp". I was thinking cabs don´t have amps at all, because most PCBs have an amp section on board already. Coinopexpress sells small amp PCBs for use with those games that don´t have a sound amp on board.
Oops, sorry. Yes Raiden you are correct. I should have said the Astro's are wired for mono.
raiden wrote:I can confirm there is a problem wiring speakers to a CPS2 rca output, I tried that and got no sound, because the rca outputs are designed to be wired to an amp. I´m still looking for a nice switch solution to have the speakers get their sound signal either through or around an amp.
Ah, ok, this answers Oxtsu's question too then. I just assumed it would be amplifed. Guess this wouldn't be as easy as I had initially thought.
black mariah
Banned User

Post by black mariah »

oxtsu wrote:Still deciding whether to get the replacement monitor (US brand 27" model) or just chuck the thing for parts.
Neither. You want to let me come up and take it off your hands for you. Don't worry, I'll give it a good home. :wink:
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

black mariah wrote:
oxtsu wrote:Still deciding whether to get the replacement monitor (US brand 27" model) or just chuck the thing for parts.
Neither. You want to let me come up and take it off your hands for you. Don't worry, I'll give it a good home. :wink:

Heheh....considering it cost $800 all told, it'll take more than a "good home" to convince me. :wink:
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

droid wrote:
However, due to my collection of non jamma boards that wasn't enough. I have 3 boards which are vert but upside down with no means to flip without rotating the monitor.
Thats got to be frustrating. What are the 3 titles btw? I will be in a similar situation soon. I currently have a capcom impress for horis & trying to decide between the impress, astrocity or Windy to serve as a 2nd cab for verts. Go with the same or something different for variety...

Droid

Basically anything non jamma that is vert is usually upside down.

Of my current games I think Mr DO! and Galaga are definately upside down. I almost bought amidar but the seller said it was left side up (not right side up like Jamma games) so I passed on it for the time being.

Sky Shark has a dip switch to flip. Galaga you can get in Jamma format and I think it would be stupid if it were not the same way up as the other Jamma games.

I think hori games are the same way up as neo geo.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
black mariah
Banned User

Post by black mariah »

oxtsu wrote:
black mariah wrote:

Heheh....considering it cost $800 all told, it'll take more than a "good home" to convince me. :wink:
What do you want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? 'Cause I'm married.

*/family guy*