Japanese PS2 in America?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
miroku

Japanese PS2 in America?

Post by miroku »

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend is in Tokyo right now and we were wondering if she buys a Japanese NTSC PS2 there we will have any issues using it in the US. I'd like to be able to play all the good shmups that havent been ported over here. She went to a shop in Akihabara but the guy there told her that the PS2 wouldnt work in America because of some plug or something. Based on everything I have heard he is wrong but I thought I would double check here. Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry if this topic has been covered before, but I searched and couldnt find anything that answered my question.
miroku

Post by miroku »

oops I think I posted this in the wrong forum... meant for hardware, sorry. Mods, feel free to move it.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

I have a Japanese PS2 and it works great here in the US-- no problems.
sffan

Post by sffan »

If it's built for 110V then it's okay. I don't know what the voltage is in Japan.
SHOOT IT QUICKLY !
FatCobra

Post by FatCobra »

It should be fine. Most Japanese and American appliances use the same kind of outlet and around the same amount of voltage. I know my Saturn works fine, but just to be safe, I plug it into a surge protector and unplug it when I'm done using it for now.

You may want to a little careful with the PS2 however, the Saturn's is much older than the PS2, and may be more solidly built, while the PS2 is very fragile. I think most Japanese consoles run on 100 Volts but American outlets run between 110 and 125. Ten to twenty-five extra volts doesn't seem to hurt my Saturn, by I don't know what the extra voltage will do to a more fragile system like the PS2. But the Saturn was made 10 years ago, so maybe the NTSC outlets are bit more standardized now. I really don't know.
Shmups: It's all about blowing stuff up!
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

The plug is only a problem if you get an Asian PSTwo, NOT a Japanese PSTwo.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Moved to Hardware.
miroku

Post by miroku »

Excellent. Thanks for all the replies. My girl just picked up a ceramic white slim PS2 and we'll be getting some game shortly. Can't wait :)