How easy is it to mod a Saturn?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
BUHA

How easy is it to mod a Saturn?

Post by BUHA »

I've heard that it's REALLY easy to mod a sega saturn. Exactly what do you have to do to mod it to play backups and play JPN games? I'm thinking of getting a USA saturn to mod, but I'm a total noob when it comes to modding. anybody know a site i can go to or something for help for a beginner?

also, how much would a mod cost me?

thanks a lot!
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

The model 2 Saturns with the round buttons are the easiest to mod, and I hear they are REALLY easy to mod. I think it involves pulling out a ribbon wire, plugging in the mod board in the cable's place, and plugging the cable into the mod board. There may be 2 wires to solder as well.

As far as model 1 goes, it's damn near impossible to find mod chips for it, but if you end up with a model 1, the swap trick is also dead easy to do.
BUHA

Post by BUHA »

i've heard about the swap trick. does it really work? it doesnt work for CDRs, does it?
Andi

Post by Andi »

My cart drive died, so I've also been forced to mod my Saturn, however, I'm having trouble finding enough technical instructions. I know about the FAQ on GameFAQs and also the one at GamesX, but does anyone else have any links they could hook me up with?

Thanks a lot.
theevilfunkster

Post by theevilfunkster »

I tried a 2 switch mod on my PAL Saturn and blew the bastard up.
D

Post by D »

Switches OK, but for simple mortals You can take a little wire and solder it onto two points on your PCB.

Or take two wires and wire them together (rotating motion) and then solder it onto two points on your PCB.

I don't have links handy, but there are some great sites.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

if anyone is looking for a cheap project in this vein. i have a us model 2 with a dead cart slot i will let go for cheaps.
I have no sig whatsoever.
ac_slatercore

Post by ac_slatercore »

Get a Game Shark for the Saturn. You can play imports and cheat if you care to. It fits into the RAM expander slot and also has more memory for the system. I have had mine for ten years and it still works fine.
FatalError

Post by FatalError »

Here are some links for help with this:

The following two web pages have detailed instructions on how to do the Saturn MOD:
http://www.gamesx.com/importmod/saturncon.htm
http://www.mameworld.net/pc2jamma/satmod1.html

and for those who don't know how to solder:
http://www.gamesx.com/misctech/solder1.htm

Hope that helps.
PFG 9000

Post by PFG 9000 »

ac_slatercore wrote:Get a Game Shark for the Saturn. You can play imports and cheat if you care to. It fits into the RAM expander slot and also has more memory for the system. I have had mine for ten years and it still works fine.
Will that let you play backups as well?