PS2 Shmupping solutions

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Neith

PS2 Shmupping solutions

Post by Neith »

Hello everyone I'm new to this forum and relatively new to the genre (compared to you guys). I've played shmups casually and infrequently all my life, and I've more recently been getting into it with the Dreamcast for which I now possess all of the best titles which I've played a great deal of (particularly Mars Matrix ^^). The next step seems to be import PS2 games. I own a US model slim ps2 which I just bought, so I'm hoping I can mod it. I've never modded a system or imported games before so I was hoping to get some info here. What mod chip is suitable for my SCPH-70011 slim ps2 and where should I buy my import games? Anything else I should know?

BIG

Post by BIG »

I wouldn't recommend modding a slimline,since blown lasers are a common occurance.

However,I do recommend that you use a SwapMagic 3.3 w/clips,instead.

B-
Blade

Post by Blade »

I'm thinking that I should get me a Japanese PS3 because it would be compatible with the older PS2 games and new stuff so, that would be my idea anyway.
The world would be a better place if there were less shooters and more dot-eaters.

Jesus' BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS:
1. Pure, Mournful, Humble Heart
2. Merciful Peacemaker
3. Suffer for Righteous Desire
Cthulhu

Post by Cthulhu »

Good idea, but that's still a ways off. :wink:
Capt. Takehiko

Post by Capt. Takehiko »

BIG wrote:I wouldn't recommend modding a slimline,since blown lasers are a common occurance.
Shit, then it must be about time mine does that... because its been working faithfully for ages, still I would mind just having my normal JPS2 - most of my games are Japenese.

Still, I find it worrying that one of my PS2s could screw any time soon. :?
The Captain.
system11

Post by system11 »

It can be cheaper to simply buy a second hand Japanese PS2. It's much easier too.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
D

Post by D »

Blade wrote:I'm thinking that I should get me a Japanese PS3 because it would be compatible with the older PS2 games and new stuff so, that would be my idea anyway.
Not me, I'm waiting for the PS4. I heard rumors that this console will blow the PS3 away.
Nei First

Post by Nei First »

I'm considering this also, my friends modded PS2 sometimes has problems playing some Jap games, funny thing is those same games used to work before.

PS: Shouldn't this topic be moved to Hardware? :?
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Welcome to the Boards Neith! :D

The SwapMagic 3.3 discs can only boot import PS2 games NOT import PS1 games-not saying this was a bad suggestion, but just be aware of this.

What I would do is wait until the PS3 comes out in Japan. It won't come out here in the US for about another year, but it will come out in Japan before that, and when it does, the Japanese PSTwo will correspondingly drop in price. Check out www.play-asia.com for your import PSTwo buying needs, as well as a lot of PS2 and PS1 import shmups. www.japanvideogames.com out in California, has a lot of new PS1 import shmups.

There is www.ncsx.com, but they either don't know, or don't care that they're being out-classed in game and console prices AND shipping by a store in Hong Kong! (Play Asia)

If you want more shmups then the JPSTwo offers, then you should also get a Japanese Dreamcast and a Japanese Saturn. By this time, you could probably apply for a Zoning Permit to declare your house an Arcade, and charge admission for anyone to enter.

In any case, whatever you decide to do, have fun with it! :D
Neith

Post by Neith »

Thanks a lot for the responses, I definitely have a better idea of how to approach the situation. What I do depends on $$$ and my patience I suppose. Can anyone recommend an online seller of swap magic discs? There seem to be a lot of places selling them after a web search and I'm sure some are more trustworthy and better to deal with than others.

I've also been considering getting a neo geo style arcade stick for the ps2

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?catego ... ts_id=6335&

and a smart joy plus ps2 -> pc usb adapder

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?catego ... ts_id=3833&

Then play some games on MAME, as well as some authentic feeling metal slug 4+5 on my ps2. It seems that most shmups are available on MAME and it also seems like an affordable way to try out a great selection of games before I buy even though a rom will never be the same as owning the real thing and yes I know it is slightly immoral blah blah :wink:

Does anyone have that stick? How does MAME compare to console shmupping?
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

www.modchipstore.com has the Swap Magic 3.3 discs-but unfortunately it seems that you have install a whole new top on your PSTwo! I don't know where the clip business is coming from, because they don't mention using clips with these discs on their website. :?