Picture upside down in my cab

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
yojo!

Picture upside down in my cab

Post by yojo! »

I just got a new Wells gardner 25inch monitor in my cab but the picture comes upside down for "Gemini Wings" PCB. There is not dipsetting on the board to revert it. Someone told me to get a "yoke switch". I'm not a tech at all (I just know on to discharge the monitor, but that's about it) , it something easy to do ?. Where can I find the part ?.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

If all games are upside down you might want to reinstall the monitor going the other way?
dpful

Post by dpful »

There actually is a way to reverse the picture- (and is it a japanese board? as the default settings for US and Japanese seem to be opposite).

The big plug that connects the wires from the back of the tube to the circuit board can be rearanged. I believe that theres four wires, and you want to cut the connector in the middle and then swap each two. Or perhaps cut it in the middle and swap each plug, keeping them facing the same way--- Anyways, I'm not much help. One of those (or something similar) will rotate the image, and one will MIRROR the image (rotate it both ways) so you can use it in a cab with a real mirror in it (some gun games) and then the words will read forwards instead of backwards.

That will do it, but don't try it until you find the right combination because I believe that a combination other then the right two will break something.
system11

Post by system11 »

http://www.homearcade.org/BBBB/yoke.html

Most modern monitors have a switch or more commonly a second yoke connector, the above may not be required. Check the manual for your monitor (or simply look at the chassis to find the plug) - you may see an identical one next to it.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Yes, all of my cabs have a "reverse" plug next to the "normal" plug on the monitor PCB for flipping the picture (via the yolk lines). But maybe first you want to make sure A) there is no option in the game video settings to flip the picture as most have this feature, and B) make sure your monitor is oriented correctly for the majority of verticale games, and you aren't doing this just for one in particular that is backasswards.

Oh, one more thing, you may want to wait for your cab to be turned off for at least a few hours before touching that yolk connector on the main board, or you risk getting a nasty shock (as some tubes take awhile to bleed off the charge after being turned off).
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

thanks a lot all of you guys. That was really helpfull. The monitor is a brand new 25" wells gardner; it does not have any yoke switch , but the 4 wires conectors is already split in 2 sub connectors.

Now I can finally enjoy gemini wings. Well worth the wait !. I remember the day I first saw it in a bar 15 years ago, and Mame does not do it for me.

Cheers. !