Sanwa or Seimitsu??

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
rib

Sanwa or Seimitsu??

Post by rib »

this was mentioned in an earlier post, im at the situation of making sure which of the hori sticks i will buy.
so whats the differences between both?
and is there a third worth checking arcade stick for shmups?
thanks
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

I like the Sanwa sticks.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Moved to Hardware.
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

Sanwa jlf-tp-8y's by miles, i find Seimitsu way too stubby and a little too tight. But thats just me
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

I saw the web site for a Japanese arcade called Daytona III. A lot of top players come there and I know some of the recent "Insanity DVD" footage was done there including the GAP-LUS Raiden Fighters 2 world record.

I looked at the sight with an auto translator and it said that they're using Seimitsu sticks for the shooting games. In the pictures, you can tell that the buttons are Sanwa if you look really closely. Joysticks it's impossible to really confirm, but I'd take their word for it about the Seimitsu's. Also, the cabs are a variety that included New Astro City and Super Neo etc., but the sticks all looked like LS-32 (silver metal shaft w/o plastic cover) so I don't think it's just a matter of having super old cabs with original LS-32 in place. These guys set their cabs up a certain way for a reason probably down to how fast the auto fire circuits are on a game by game basis. Don't have the link to that page, but I can track it down if anyone really wants to see it.

About the height of the joysticks: The JLF-TP-8Y should actually sit at about the same height if not the exact same height as the LS-32 the way that it's installed in the New Astro City. Of course the height can vary depending on the type of mounting plate used and is up to preference.

Anyway, I think it's just whichever one you like best despite what the experts are using, because those guys would get good results with any joystick or probably even pad just because of pure knowledge and skill. i.e. having air Jordans will not make you dunk like Jordan ;) All the Seimitsu and Sanwa sticks are high quality and can give you good results.
rib

Post by rib »

thanks a lot for this infos.
well i was going to order a hori sanwa stick from play asia but noticed that it would cost $60 shipping plus those extra fees and of course the stick itself $80, ending with ~$150 for the stick makes me feel bad and i didnt order it.

does anyone know how i can get the stick cheaper than from play asia, even saving the extra fees by buying from a privat seller would be nice..
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Rastan78 wrote:Anyway, I think it's just whichever one you like best despite what the experts are using, because those guys would get good results with any joystick or probably even pad just because of pure knowledge and skill. i.e. having air Jordans will not make you dunk like Jordan ;) All the Seimitsu and Sanwa sticks are high quality and can give you good results.
Yes sir. It is true. [Previous comment as well.]

There are some difference between Seimitsu-Sanwa and it can be complex or insignificant depending on what's important to you, etc.
[I'm wanting to write some long detailed explanation, but there is no time atm.]

Personally I have grown to use Seimitsu LS-32 stick and Sanwa OBSF-30-RG button for most shooting game. The exception would be for some intensive stick movement game like XII Stag, where the light touch is coming in handy. For that it is my preference the optical Sanwa JLHS-8Y FLASH1.
rib wrote:does anyone know how i can get the stick cheaper than from play asia, even saving the extra fees by buying from a privat seller would be nice..
Check out www.ncsx.com They have the original Hori Real Arcade Pro for about $115 shipped I believe.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

I don't see how you can possibly tell the difference between Sanwa or Seimitsu buttons unless you look under the control panel. About the only difference I've seen is a very slight color variation between the two (and thats only noticable when they are next to each other).

As for the sticks, I recently bought a few Sanwa JLFs from Cosmic, and they did not come with the black plastic shafts. So this is also no confirmation that those were Seimitsu sticks in that video.

But I will say this, its easier to adjust the tightness/action of the seimitsu sticks than the standard Sanwa JLFs (by bending the blades on the microswitches). Now I've herd there is another version of the Sanwa that uses blades on the microswitches, but nobody has confirmed this for me.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Dave_K. wrote:I don't see how you can possibly tell the difference between Sanwa or Seimitsu buttons unless you look under the control panel. About the only difference I've seen is a very slight color variation between the two (and thats only noticable when they are next to each other).
The difference is much more distinct between OBSF-30 and PS-14-G, not so much PS-14-GN (screw type). Quite naturally, I think it depends more on the person whether they will notice such differences in feeling.
Dave_K. wrote:But I will say this, its easier to adjust the tightness/action of the seimitsu sticks than the standard Sanwa JLFs (by bending the blades on the microswitches). Now I've herd there is another version of the Sanwa that uses blades on the microswitches, but nobody has confirmed this for me.
Is that really affecting the distance to micro? It's hard to imagine the real benefit (I mean feeling vs. actual gain in response).

About the Sanwa with 'bladed' microswitch, I'm only guessing it is JLW model (had one in the past but couldn't say right now from memory). I will have another one to take apart soon, so I should be able to confirm the assumption either yes or no.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

oxtsu wrote:
Dave_K. wrote:I don't see how you can possibly tell the difference between Sanwa or Seimitsu buttons unless you look under the control panel. About the only difference I've seen is a very slight color variation between the two (and thats only noticable when they are next to each other).
The difference is much more distinct between OBSF-30 and PS-14-G, not so much PS-14-GN (screw type). Quite naturally, I think it depends more on the person whether they will notice such differences in feeling. .
The context of my remark was of the guy watching the video and making the assumption they were all sanwa parts based soley on looks. But anyway I agree that in person a veteran might detect the differences in action/response of the button.
oxtsu wrote:
Dave_K. wrote:But I will say this, its easier to adjust the tightness/action of the seimitsu sticks than the standard Sanwa JLFs (by bending the blades on the microswitches). Now I've herd there is another version of the Sanwa that uses blades on the microswitches, but nobody has confirmed this for me.
Is that really affecting the distance to micro? It's hard to imagine the real benefit (I mean feeling vs. actual gain in response).

About the Sanwa with 'bladed' microswitch, I'm only guessing it is JLW model (had one in the past but couldn't say right now from memory). I will have another one to take apart soon, so I should be able to confirm the assumption either yes or no.
Yes bending the tip of the blade closer to the middle adjusts the microswitch response. This is similar to what operators did on old school wico leaf switch buttons/joysticks back in the day (in US arcades).

Yes, JLW is what I herd uses microswitches with blades. I don't even know if they are made anymore, but if you get some, I'd be interested in hearing what the response difference is to JLFs.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Dave K., the difference between Sanwa and Seimitsu snap-in type is pretty obvious from a close-up. Seimitsus are perfectly flat like the buttons in the grey Namco PS sticks. In person it's very easy to tell them apart. But you're probably right, I should only say that it's my best guess that they're using OBSF-30. The difference isn't really important I guess. With buttons the feel is different but not enough to really change anything.

On the joysticks, the website did actually say that they had Seimitsu sticks. Only ones made with a silver shaft are LS-32 and LS-56 (compact version of LS-32). Not saying LS-32 is better than JLF or anything by the way.

What I've read some arcades with shooters will do is have Seimitsu on 1P side and Sanwa on 2P side for example. I'd imagine even among top players the preference varies. It's really just a matter of trying both and seeing which one you like or if the difference even matters to you as far as gameplay.

If I had to tell someone who hadn't tried either which RAP to buy, I'd say the Sanwa one. In general with regards to buttons as well as sticks, Sanwa will feel a little bit lighter to the touch (the buttons barely have to be flicked) Seimitsu will feel just a little meatier for lack of a better word.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Dave_K. wrote:Yes, JLW is what I herd uses microswitches with blades. I don't even know if they are made anymore, but if you get some, I'd be interested in hearing what the response difference is to JLFs.
I ordered a JLW, but was given an extra JLF-TM instead. Sorry, I will not have the detail right now.
thchardcore

I have a JLW

Post by thchardcore »

It's a lever actuated stick and It's quite precise. Mine was modded with an Octagonal gate and I don't use it anymore. Interested parties hit me up.
A camel is a horse designed by a committee
SAM

Post by SAM »

rib wrote:well i was going to order a hori sanwa stick from play asia but noticed that it would cost $60 shipping plus those extra fees and of course the stick itself $80, ending with ~$150 for the stick makes me feel bad and i didnt order it.
Well I am sorry to tell you that PlayAsia have overcharged your postage. :x

The Baby weight 2.6 Kg and it would cost $30 in postage (Air Parcel Post) from Hong Kong (where PlayAsia HQ located) to the States. And $45 in EMS. (Not include Packing and Handling.)

http://www.hongkongpost.com/

$60 for shipping?!?! :shock: :shock: They dinfinately over charged you. Unless you are living in Europe.

PlayAsia only charged me $7.5 for shipping the same Joystick. I ordered it on Sunday (2 days ago), and I am expacting it when I gone home. 8)
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*