The Supergun discussion and Q&A thread.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
rolins

Re: The Supergun discussion and Q&A thread.

Post by rolins »

mojo wrote:I'd stick fuses in just to be safe. You might accidentally case a short somewhere or get a damaged board that will nuke the first time it is plugged in. The PSU you have will have some safety features to prevent it catching fire etc. but it could still easily cook the board. Unlikely but fuses and holders are what, a couple of quid max?
I guess so, better safe than sorry right? :)
My supergun has everything wired up and I hate to take it apart just to drill holes for panel mounted fuse holders. So I'm gonna pickup in-line fuse holders like this one http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=070-609. Just place them in-between the power lines with QDs.
rolins

Post by rolins »

Just want to show where I'm at with the supergun I'm building. I'm very happy with the way it turned out. I just need to install fuse holders on the +5v and +12v lines. Also wondering whether I should get a JROK encoder or not, since my XAV-2s does an impressive job at RGB to S-video already.

The PSU is mounted on top of the case for 2 reasons: (1) no worries about overheating and (2) easy access to +5v adj which most of my older boards need. The PSU was going to be external anyway, might as well be mounted to the enclosure. :)

Features:
-Pactec Enclosure 10.4 x 11.4 x 2.3in
-Happ Suzo 130w PSU
-2x DB15 wired for Neo Geo controllers
-Test and Service buttons
-Kick harness for CPS and MK
-DB9 wired for RGB composite sync
-RGB pots
-Variable attenuator (yellow knob) for audio-out thru 3.5mm stereo-mini jack
-Internal 3inch 8Ω speaker (Tang Band W3-881SJ this speaker is awesome!)
-DPDT toggle to switch between internal speaker or stereo-mini jack

ImageImageImage
mojo

Post by mojo »

I am prototyping my Supergun at the moment and have been looking at ways to avoid using edge connectors. I find they are very hard to fit to some boards so I'd rather do it once and then leave it in place.

My current design uses a little PCB with the edge connector, two Molex sockets (+5V/GND/GND/+12V on one and -5V/GND/SPK+/SPK- on the other) and a 40 pin IDC header like the ones used for IDE drive connectors on motherboards. I then use two Molex male-male cables and a 40 wire IDE cable to connect to the Supergun. The idea is to keep the little PCB with the edge connector permanently connected to the game.

The only caveat is that you can't use 80 wire IDE cables, only the older 40 wire ones which are getting harder to find. Few other connectors have enough pins.

Thoughts?
rolins

Post by rolins »

mojo wrote:I am prototyping my Supergun at the moment and have been looking at ways to avoid using edge connectors. I find they are very hard to fit to some boards so I'd rather do it once and then leave it in place.

My current design uses a little PCB with the edge connector, two Molex sockets (+5V/GND/GND/+12V on one and -5V/GND/SPK+/SPK- on the other) and a 40 pin IDC header like the ones used for IDE drive connectors on motherboards. I then use two Molex male-male cables and a 40 wire IDE cable to connect to the Supergun. The idea is to keep the little PCB with the edge connector permanently connected to the game.

The only caveat is that you can't use 80 wire IDE cables, only the older 40 wire ones which are getting harder to find. Few other connectors have enough pins.

Thoughts?
Frequently inserting & removing IDC headers will eventually break'em. How about using a Mini D-Ribbon 40-pin. This is just a breakout box but those kind of connectors will handle the stress of tugging and pulling. Winford also sell those 40pin ribbon cables you're looking for too.
Madscientist0

Post by Madscientist0 »

I'm currently trying to super gun a Sega RingWide board.

But I've been having some trouble with input lag.

1. Does anyone know if the Sega JVS to Jamma adapter (rev. B) has lag? (similar to this one)

2. If so, where can I find a lagless JVS I/O board?

3. Also does this PSX to Jamma converter have lag?
Last edited by Madscientist0 on Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dosucol1

Post by dosucol1 »

rolins wrote:Just want to show where I'm at with the supergun I'm building. I'm very happy with the way it turned out. I just need to install fuse holders on the +5v and +12v lines. Also wondering whether I should get a JROK encoder or not, since my XAV-2s does an impressive job at RGB to S-video already.

The PSU is mounted on top of the case for 2 reasons: (1) no worries about overheating and (2) easy access to +5v adj which most of my older boards need. The PSU was going to be external anyway, might as well be mounted to the enclosure. :)

Features:
-Happ Suzo 130w PSU
-RGB pots

ImageImageImage
To finish up,you could cover the jamma harness with expandable braided cable and matching colour heat shrink over the end of the braid.Like i use on my cmvs and own built cables.
http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/im ... raser3.jpg
http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/im ... raser1.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-PC-Cabl ... 484049f5a8
rolins

Post by rolins »

dosucol1 wrote:
rolins wrote:Just want to show where I'm at with the supergun I'm building. I'm very happy with the way it turned out. I just need to install fuse holders on the +5v and +12v lines. Also wondering whether I should get a JROK encoder or not, since my XAV-2s does an impressive job at RGB to S-video already.

Features:
-Happ Suzo 130w PSU
-RGB pots

ImageImageImage
To finish up,you could cover the jamma harness with expandable braided cable and matching colour heat shrink over the end of the braid.Like i use on my cmvs and own built cables.
http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/im ... raser3.jpg
http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/im ... raser1.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-PC-Cabl ... 484049f5a8
Heh. :) I actually bought some black braid for that purpose. Stupid me that I forgot to put it on the harness before wiring up the supergun. :lol:
I went to my local hardware store yesterday and got some black spiral wrap. Looks nice and keeps the wires tucked in pretty good.
mrsmiley381

Post by mrsmiley381 »

Damn, rolins, that's a sick design! Might if I plagiarize it a bit? I've been trying to come up with a solid modular design of some sort and what you've done is pretty damn smart. Here's the data I've collected so far, organized by general relevance:

General:
30 AWG wire of eight or so colors used for all wiring. Shouldn't cause any problems.

Power-Related Parts:
Arcade PSU mounted to top of enclosure.
10A fuse on +5v rail.
2A fuse on +12v rail.
One DPST power switch.
One power cable connector.

Controller-Related Parts:
Two DB-15 Male connectors wired using suggested pinout in thread.
Kick harness.
Two buttons for test and service.

Audio-Related Parts:
One 1K Ohm resistor.
One 10K Ohm resister.
One white phono jack.

Audio-Related Optional Parts:
One DPST audio attenuation switch.
One speaker.
One audio POT.

Video-Related Parts:
Red 220 Ohm POT.
Green 220 Ohm POT.
Blue 220 Ohm POT.
Encoder (Scratch-built, JROK, whatever I can get my hands on).

Video-Related Optional Parts (At least one of these is necessary):
DB-9 Straight RGB Output.
S-Video jack.
Composite jack.
YPbBr jacks.
DB-9 VGA connector.
SCART jack (Or whatever my European shmup friends would call them).

Anti-electrocution Parts:
One enclosure; acrylic or plastic, custom-cut via fabrication lab.
Braided cable.
Heat shrink.
Various nuts, screws, and other nonsense.

This should be an almost-complete list of parts one would need to make a high-features Supergun. Please correct me on anything I might have wrong. I don't know what kind of POT to use for the audio, actually, so that would be a good detail on which to enlighten me.

I'm personally at a bit of an impasse on how to handle video encoding. If I could find the proper schematics I would simply build one, probably with a bit of aid from the fabrication lab to cut down on wiring time, since I've been informed it can do some custom board work. In my ghetto-style cab I have the RGB-to-VGA adapter, which works well enough. Personally, I would want the YPbBr, S-video, and composite outputs and no on-Supergun speaker, but since I might end up building Superguns for others I might as well find a way to plan for it. Would there be any problem in using RGB POTs on the front of the Supergun and then running it through a JROK which already has RGB POTs? I wouldn't think so, but I've never tried.

The idea here is to build a Supergun that can handle any standard JAMMA game board you can throw at it. In theory there would be MVS, CPS2, PGM, and Atomiswave support. I know wiring for Atomiswave buttons means Neo Select and Atomiswave E will be shared, but that's more of a controller problem, not a Supergun problem. I also recall hearing that JROK has problems with Atomiswave video, and I don't know much about PGM. Basically, if any board sets or specific boards have problems with Superguns or video encoders of any kind I would like to plan for it far ahead of time. You know, aim twice, fire once. That sort of deal.

I also recall hearing about one and two player buttons interfering with players three and four on four-player games like TMNT and the Dungeons and Dragons beat 'em ups, so I would like to plan for that if I decide to make an optional 4/6 player adapter.

Sorry for the wall of text, I just want to isolate every possible problem.
Why is it called the Vic Viper/Warp Rattler? Because the Options trail behind it in a serpent-like fashion, and the iconic front fins are designed to invoke the image of a snake's fangs.
rolins

Post by rolins »

mrsmiley381 wrote:Damn, rolins, that's a sick design! Might if I plagiarize it a bit? I've been trying to come up with a solid modular design of some sort and what you've done is pretty damn smart. Here's the data I've collected so far, organized by general relevance:

General:
30 AWG wire of eight or so colors used for all wiring. Shouldn't cause any problems.
Yeah, go ahead. I copied most of my ideas from other SG builders too. :)

30ga is okay, but use thicker wire like 20ga or 18ga for the Power & GND. I've noticed a huge difference when powering my boards with thicker wire. Sandwich boards like Ikari Warriors runs smooth with my PSU @ 4.9V with the 18ga. When I had 20ga for power + gnd, I had to crank the PSU to 5.2V just to get Ikari Warriors to run stable.
Power-Related Parts:
Arcade PSU mounted to top of enclosure.
10A fuse on +5v rail.
2A fuse on +12v rail.
One DPST power switch.
One power cable connector.
You sure you want the PSU mounted on the enclosure like mine? I think if you're going to sell superguns, customers would expect the PSU internal. Far more professional looking I think.
Audio-Related Parts:
One 1K Ohm resistor.
One 10K Ohm resister.
One white phono jack.
Just so you know this type of attenuation circuit with 1k and 10k resistors doesn't work with some Cave pcbs. The one I'm using is a variable attenuator which you can read more about here. Works with Cave pcbs and works well with every game I tested, but I much prefer to use my internal speaker.
Video-Related Parts:
Red 220 Ohm POT.
Green 220 Ohm POT.
Blue 220 Ohm POT.
Encoder (Scratch-built, JROK, whatever I can get my hands on).
I suggest using 1k ohm pots on the RGB.
Anti-electrocution Parts:
One enclosure; acrylic or plastic, custom-cut via fabrication lab.
Braided cable.
Heat shrink.
Various nuts, screws, and other nonsense.
Don't forget those rubber grommets. :wink:
I'm personally at a bit of an impasse on how to handle video encoding. If I could find the proper schematics I would simply build one, probably with a bit of aid from the fabrication lab to cut down on wiring time, since I've been informed it can do some custom board work. In my ghetto-style cab I have the RGB-to-VGA adapter, which works well enough. Personally, I would want the YPbBr, S-video, and composite outputs and no on-Supergun speaker, but since I might end up building Superguns for others I might as well find a way to plan for it. Would there be any problem in using RGB POTs on the front of the Supergun and then running it through a JROK which already has RGB POTs? I wouldn't think so, but I've never tried.
There's no problem having separate pots with an encoder that has them already. Just connect the RGB inputs from the jamma harness to the external Pots, and then send its output to the encoder.

There are some tutorial online for DIY RGB to NTSC encoders using the AD725. Compatibility and quality is meh. I'd just stick to encoders that give better quality like jrok or neobitz w/ sync cleaners. Pricey but you get what you paid for.
mrsmiley381

Post by mrsmiley381 »

rolins wrote: You sure you want the PSU mounted on the enclosure like mine? I think if you're going to sell superguns, customers would expect the PSU internal. Far more professional looking I think.
The reason I liked that so much was because you could play with the +5v setting and cool the PSU without a fan. If someone really wants an internal PSU, I'll do that for them. However, in terms of pure functionality making the PSU external makes the most sense, unless I can fiddle with that using another knob.
rolins wrote: Just so you know this type of attenuation circuit with 1k and 10k resistors doesn't work with some Cave pcbs. The one I'm using is a variable attenuator which you can read more about here. Works with Cave pcbs and works well with every game I tested, but I much prefer to use my internal speaker.
That's why I put up a parts list! Glad you caught that little bug of mine there. I've noted it and will likely update my parts list to reflect that when I'm supposed to be totally working hard at my job tomorrow. My job, of course, being a programmer who has already done all his work.
rolins wrote: I suggest using 1k ohm pots on the RGB.
I got 220 ohm from some other builder's Supergun, but I imagine using 1k ohm might actually be better, so long as it doesn't screw one kind of board's video in place of another.
rolins wrote: There's no problem having separate pots with an encoder that has them already. Just connect the RGB inputs from the jamma harness to the external Pots, and then send its output to the encoder.

There are some tutorial online for DIY RGB to NTSC encoders using the AD725. Compatibility and quality is meh. I'd just stick to encoders that give better quality like jrok or neobitz w/ sync cleaners. Pricey but you get what you paid for.
The price is the biggest turnoff, really. I found a full Supergun schematic earlier today, though I've currently lost the link. Quite honestly I'd like to build the encoder because my good friend has access to some tools that can really shorten the time necessary for wiring the damn thing. Maybe I'll take another crack at it.

I found a list of games compatible with the component output on the NeoBitz: http://www.multimods.com/NeoBitzCompat.html

I wonder if he actually sells the kits any more, the site looks like it hasn't even been updated in years aside from a copyright date, and that's probably just good HTML. If I get this working and working well I'm going to have to put a full guide up. I keep finding good info but it's all over the place. I might as well learn as much as I can and put it in one place for everyone else to use.
Why is it called the Vic Viper/Warp Rattler? Because the Options trail behind it in a serpent-like fashion, and the iconic front fins are designed to invoke the image of a snake's fangs.
rolins

Post by rolins »

Last night I finished adding the last piece to my supergun. I installed a Jrok v3.1 and Jrok sync cleaner with an ON/OFF switch. I wish I could add controller ports for 3rd and 4th player but I'd be very difficult now and messy, so probably never.

I took a few pictures of the end result. I tried to do the least amount of soldering as possible. I used barrier strips, quick disconnects, and breakout pcbs with screw terminals. In photo#4 that's actually 3 barrier strips stacked on top each other definitely saved me a ton space. :)

I actually enjoyed putting this together. Wish I more time to build another one because I think I can do better.

ImageImageImageImage
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

rolins wrote:Last night I finished adding the last piece to my supergun. I installed a Jrok v3.1 and Jrok sync cleaner with an ON/OFF switch. I wish I could add controller ports for 3rd and 4th player but I'd be very difficult now and messy, so probably never.

I took a few pictures of the end result. I tried to do the least amount of soldering as possible. I used barrier strips, quick disconnects, and breakout pcbs with screw terminals. In photo#4 that's actually 3 barrier strips stacked on top each other definitely saved me a ton space. :)

I actually enjoyed putting this together. Wish I more time to build another one because I think I can do better.
This is ... so awesome

I'm calling it the Sexygun :wink:
guldberget

Post by guldberget »

One of the reasons I´ve been holding out on building a supergun is that I have a compulsive need for it to be "clean" but the urge of building one is growing really strong now. My main concern is regarding the PSU. So I´m wondering if a open frame PSU can be used to put internaly in a supergun. For example this one https://www.elfa.se/elfa3~se_sv/elfa/in ... &toc=19593. Never mind the actual specs but just the type of PSU. But for the sake of argument, could I use this specific open frame PSU?

I´ve also been eyeing the Pico Psu that I´ve seen someone else use in a supergun. For example this one http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/it.A/id.41 ... ategory=13. Does anyone know if you have to do the turn-on-atx psu-without motherboard-paper clip trick with these?

All I´m really interested in is an output of +5 and +12 V since I´m monstly intrested in Neo Geo and PGM games

Thanks!
WTB PCBs: Armed Police Batrider JP ver B, Deathsmiles, Demon Front
WTB console games: Battle Garegga (sat), In The Hunt (sat)
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

guldberget wrote:I´ve also been eyeing the Pico Psu that I´ve seen someone else use in a supergun. For example this one http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/it.A/id.41 ... ategory=13. Does anyone know if you have to do the turn-on-atx psu-without motherboard-paper clip trick with these?
If the supergun is designed for an ATX power supply, it shouldn't be necessary. I have a Vogatek Mk II, and as soon as I flip the switch on the PSU, the whole thing powers up.

If you're designing your own, I'm sure there's a way with relays or something to trigger the PSU on once the 5VSB line is active. Clearly that's how the Vogatek does it.
rolins

Post by rolins »

guldberget wrote:One of the reasons I´ve been holding out on building a supergun is that I have a compulsive need for it to be "clean" but the urge of building one is growing really strong now. My main concern is regarding the PSU. So I´m wondering if a open frame PSU can be used to put internaly in a supergun. For example this one https://www.elfa.se/elfa3~se_sv/elfa/in ... &toc=19593. Never mind the actual specs but just the type of PSU. But for the sake of argument, could I use this specific open frame PSU?

I´ve also been eyeing the Pico Psu that I´ve seen someone else use in a supergun. For example this one http://www.mini-box.com/s.nl/it.A/id.41 ... ategory=13. Does anyone know if you have to do the turn-on-atx psu-without motherboard-paper clip trick with these?

All I´m really interested in is an output of +5 and +12 V since I´m monstly intrested in Neo Geo and PGM games

Thanks!
Open frame PSU is definitely doable. You just need to make sure that your PSU has adequate cooling. A 12vdc fan and good ventilation in your project box should suffice.
guldberget

Post by guldberget »

shmuppyLove wrote: If the supergun is designed for an ATX power supply, it shouldn't be necessary. I have a Vogatek Mk II, and as soon as I flip the switch on the PSU, the whole thing powers up.

If you're designing your own, I'm sure there's a way with relays or something to trigger the PSU on once the 5VSB line is active. Clearly that's how the Vogatek does it.
Thanks! I think I will go with this approach. It should be pretty easy to make a more stable and safe solution than the "paper clip" trick once I get around to building the darn thing.
rolins wrote:Open frame PSU is definitely doable. You just need to make sure that your PSU has adequate cooling. A 12vdc fan and good ventilation in your project box should suffice.
Ugh... A fan would be catastrophical for my love of compact designs :). I should have realized that a fan would be necessary...
WTB PCBs: Armed Police Batrider JP ver B, Deathsmiles, Demon Front
WTB console games: Battle Garegga (sat), In The Hunt (sat)
kowal

Post by kowal »

someone have foto AV7000
joystick port DIN13 on this MAK is male or female?
MKL

Post by MKL »

female of course. male din connectors don't even exist as pc-mount or panel-mount versions.
kowal

Post by kowal »

Hi
I have white artefacts on screen and screan is unstable by them
i use RGBS to TV GBS 8108 the same problem is on CGA to VGA scaler it is sync problem or something different? on RGB (scart) all is OK, I must use 1881 sync cleaner?
ImageImage
kowal

Post by kowal »

RGB scart with 1k minipot
for my MAK blast city
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

A co-worker recently picked up one of these for a mini-ITX system he was building and I thought, "Hey, that's cool, I wonder if it would work well for my supergun?" (Vogatek MkII)

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=29462 ... e=Mini-Box

It's a 60W Pico PSU, basically an AC-DC converter with a small DC-DC converter with an integrated voltage regulator packaged on a really small PCB with a 20-pin ATX power connector. The PCB pigtails out into drive connectors (could be handy for a fan) and a female connector where the AC adapter plugs into, which looks like it could be panel-mounted without much effort.

I have a feeling if 60W is enough to power a whole computer, it should be plenty for PCBs, but thought I would ask those that are more knowledgeable about power draw for various boards. This would mainly be for single PCBs and a 1-slot MVS, I'm sure it wouldn't be enough for the PC-based stuff (246, TypeX, etc). There are higher-output models available for a bit more $$$, would it make more sense to go to 90W or 120W just in case?
rivals

Post by rivals »

Does anyone have suggestions on finding good enclosures? I just finished building my supergun and for now I'm just using a cardboard box but I want to upgrade to something nicer. I'm not the greatest with a dremel but I can get by. I have one of those arcade PSUs that's about 6"x6"x2" and my video encoder is about 4.5"x4.5". Other than that it's just gotta fit a couple of controller converters (Toodles FGW converters) but the size is pretty negligible given the other things that need to fit. Thanks for any suggestions. I've checked the pactec and other related sites but I couldn't find anything quite big enough for what I need.
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

rivals wrote:Does anyone have suggestions on finding good enclosures? I just finished building my supergun and for now I'm just using a cardboard box but I want to upgrade to something nicer. I'm not the greatest with a dremel but I can get by. I have one of those arcade PSUs that's about 6"x6"x2" and my video encoder is about 4.5"x4.5". Other than that it's just gotta fit a couple of controller converters (Toodles FGW converters) but the size is pretty negligible given the other things that need to fit. Thanks for any suggestions. I've checked the pactec and other related sites but I couldn't find anything quite big enough for what I need.
Is DigiKey an option for you? They have a huge selection of enclosures and boxes.
rivals

Post by rivals »

Of all the places I checked, I completely forgot about digikey. I even checked sparkfun :| Thanks, I'll check it out today!
undamned

Post by undamned »

rivals wrote:Of all the places I checked, I completely forgot about digikey. I even checked sparkfun :| Thanks, I'll check it out today!
I like Polycase. Easy web interface. Decent prices.
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
rivals

Post by rivals »

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll hopefully order one this weekend so I can start measuring and rewiring everything to slim it all down. There's way too much unnecessary wire coming off of this harness.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

Madscientist0 wrote:I'm currently trying to super gun a Sega RingWide board.

But I've been having some trouble with input lag.

1. Does anyone know if the Sega JVS to Jamma adapter (rev. B) has lag? (similar to this one)

2. If so, where can I find a lagless JVS I/O board?

3. Also does this PSX to Jamma converter have lag?
I believe the namco jvs to jamma adapers are considered to be very good.

I am suspecting the psx converter, myself, though. since the IO boards are used in real arcades.
123thewarrior

Post by 123thewarrior »

Hello fellow members, I have a problem that has been bugging me. I want a supergun that would allow me to play some cps2 games with 6 buttons. I am considering getting either a vogatek mkii or an Mkv but I am unsure on how I would have acsess to 6 buttons on a Mkv. I've heard some complaints about the mkii that make me unsure.
Anyone got some other suggestions or would be able to help me? I basically want to have six buttons but I am not looking to spend alot.
Cheers
Korszca

Post by Korszca »

123thewarrior wrote:Hello fellow members, I have a problem that has been bugging me. I want a supergun that would allow me to play some cps2 games with 6 buttons. I am considering getting either a vogatek mkii or an Mkv but I am unsure on how I would have acsess to 6 buttons on a Mkv. I've heard some complaints about the mkii that make me unsure.
Anyone got some other suggestions or would be able to help me? I basically want to have six buttons but I am not looking to spend alot.
Cheers
You would wire buttons 4, 5 & 6 directly to a CPS2 kick harness, which plugs into the CPS2 itself.
idchappy

Post by idchappy »

Korszca wrote:
123thewarrior wrote:Hello fellow members, I have a problem that has been bugging me. I want a supergun that would allow me to play some cps2 games with 6 buttons. I am considering getting either a vogatek mkii or an Mkv but I am unsure on how I would have acsess to 6 buttons on a Mkv. I've heard some complaints about the mkii that make me unsure.
Cheers
You would wire buttons 4, 5 & 6 directly to a CPS2 kick harness, which plugs into the CPS2 itself.
That sounds familiar to what i told him :lol:
Give me a like on Facebook if you can :-) :
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arcadedr ... 450?ref=hl

Bring back Skykid \O/