The Supergun discussion and Q&A thread.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
St4rwalker

Re: The Supergun discussion and Q&A thread.

Post by St4rwalker »

Hi !

Our wonderful german customs denied the import of the new Sigma AV1 supergun i bought from tops-game :(

CE sign missing, no german manual, no german current connector etc. this sucked big time.

Anyway, bought an older model the AV5000 from a fellow member from otaku.

1.) I wonder if it is possible to easily change the PSU on this beast, since i dont want to use a step-down converter (ordered 300W model; down to 110V)
2.) Wont 110V-115V damage the SG in the long run since its labeled to be used with japanese 100V ?
3.) I hunted the right Stick for it (TB8000), since i dont like the cheap neo-geo sticks. Unfortunately with no cables, will any D15 <=> D15 cable fit ?
4.) Can i use this cable for example? https://www.amazon.de/SVGA-Kabel-Premiu ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

BR
"That’s because any rare Japanese shmup transaction that doesn’t find you waking up short a kidney in a bathtub of ice, is a bargain."
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

I don't know anything about your SG, however I will say eBay usually has really nice Neo Geo extension cables from China for about $5-9 for two, and they are of good quality and also deep enough to work on an actual NG, something that won't work with the cables you're looking at on Amazon.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

What is the best budget friendly, readily available option for a supergun that won't fry my OSSC if directly hooked up?

I see these available for a pretty reasonable price, how are these? Can I directly hook it up to a OSSC?
NoAffinity

Post by NoAffinity »

cave hermit wrote:What is the best budget friendly, readily available option for a supergun that won't fry my OSSC if directly hooked up?

I see these available for a pretty reasonable price, how are these? Can I directly hook it up to a OSSC?
I bought a retroelektronic supergun recently. NOT a great product. Tons of noise in the video. The controller port pinout doesn't match up with UD and other common pinouts. I modded one connetor to work with my UD-USB (a bit of a pain, including cutting traces). I also bought some of the retroelektronic Genesis-to-NeoGeo adapters, which you would think should work great with the supergun. Well, the kicks and punches are reversed - if you intend to use it for 6-button play, the kicks will be on the top row of buttons and punches will be on the bottom row. I modded one of the adapters to correct the situation, and that was a giant pain in the ass.

At the same time I was doing that, I gambled on a Aliexpress supergun. It took about 6 weeks to get it, but this thing is great!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3296707 ... 4c4dfQmmIT

The controller pinout matches up with UD standard. Video and audio work great. Powering it is a slight challenge - you can't simply use a PICO ATX PSU, as you can see. But, I bought this converter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NB ... UTF8&psc=1 I use my PICO ATX PSU with this, with a 4-pin molex connector wired appropriately, and it all works great! Using it with my OSSC as well, and getting pixel perfection.
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

cave hermit wrote:What is the best budget friendly, readily available option for a supergun that won't fry my OSSC if directly hooked up?

Every SG available at https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/ seems to be a good choice (won't fry your system or PCBs).

However, I only have personal experience with the HAS, which is what I recommend.

Getting one is hard though especially this year, so if you can wait for it, do so, if not, any of the ones discussed/sold there are solid choices.

Here is one I'm picking up after they add a few more minor features I'm looking for as a 2nd SG for myself.

https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/ ... /&pageNo=1
low_budget

Post by low_budget »

I have the Parsec Supergun at v2.2 now.
I'm currently taking preorders on arcade-projects.com. I also have the bare PCB available on tindie.com.

It now uses the same 6p JST kick harness connector and pinout as the HAS, Sentinel, Minigun, etc.

I'm still building these by hand so it's hard to meet demand at the moment.

atro_city

Post by atro_city »

Am I wasting my time trying to get a Parsec supergun? I'm on an email list but every time I get an email they're already sold out again. You'd think the things cured cancer with how quickly they sell.
low_budget

Post by low_budget »

I am accepting Parsec preorders on arcade-projects.com

I will have more superguns available late September.

Sorry I sell out quickly when I list them on tindie.com because I usually don't have many available at once. This most recent "restock" I only had 3 Parsecs avalable after shipping the preorders out.
nes.og

Post by nes.og »

Is it correct that old 15 KHz Arcade CRTs display just 240 Progressive lines at 15Khz opposed to 240p over 15Khz 480i on consumer CRT TVs? If that is correct then can a Super Gunoutput the 240 progressive lines to a TV without every other scan line black which is how old games consoles were able to output 240P over 480i.
Cannonballs

Post by Cannonballs »

What is the best power supply for a HAS in America?
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Cannonballs wrote:What is the best power supply for a HAS in America?
This topic is up for a lot of debate...

https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/ ... /&pageNo=1

But a Meanwell seems to be the right way to go. Happs is sort of crap now, but I've used one for 3 HAS' now and no issues. You could also go Happ and re-cap it with better caps if you're super worried.
pfitz1982

Post by pfitz1982 »

Has anyone else experienced SYNC issues with the Parsec supergun when combined with a Sony PVM 20L2MD or other PVM model? If so, how did you correct the issue?
sharak

Post by sharak »

St4rwalker wrote:Our wonderful german customs denied the import of the new Sigma AV1 supergun i bought from tops-game :(
I don't want to derail the thread with a rant on German customs, but this is a complete joke.

I am hoping my Supergun makes it here unscathed.
RuffNEC

Post by RuffNEC »

Id like to buy the newest version of HAS but the Powersupplies makes me really uncertain. It rather want to use a laptop PSU or something like that than to wire it.

So I was never awere of those overvoltaged RGB Syncs which the HAS handels perfectly with a Csync option which is documented here on page 7
https://homearcadesystem.files.wordpres ... manual.pdf

isn't there really any other Supergun out there that doesn't just passthrough the RGB Signal via Scartoutput?
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

RuffNEC wrote:Id like to buy the newest version of HAS but the Powersupplies makes me really uncertain. It rather want to use a laptop PSU or something like that than to wire it.

So I was never awere of those overvoltaged RGB Syncs which the HAS handels perfectly with a Csync option which is documented here on page 7
https://homearcadesystem.files.wordpres ... manual.pdf

isn't there really any other Supergun out there that doesn't just passthrough the RGB Signal via Scartoutput?
What are you uncertain about regarding the power supply? If you use the recommended power supply from RGB he does also offer 3D printed covers for them so that they aren't exposed and is much safer

I love my HAS :D
chrid2001

Post by chrid2001 »

HI just a quick question. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to superguns. I have just ordered a cbox v2.0 jamma from aliexpress. After doing some more reading Ive heard how other items from this manufacturer have killed some ossc's and possibly a pvm. is this also the case with this supergun? if so is there a fix or am i better of trying to cancel my order. I really liked this one as it had saturn ports built right into it. The board i have is a cps2 aliens vs predator, was planning to run it through a hydra v2 revised scart switch to daisy chain through 3 pvms and then from the second output of the hydra to an ossc to a plasma monitor. Sorry if these are dumb questions as I'm a noob heh.

RuffNEC

Post by RuffNEC »

are Min-Hong 16A Switching Arcade Power Supply anygood? they are sold for 20$ which sounds cheap to me
chrid2001

Post by chrid2001 »

Hi so i recently ordered a cbox v2 jamma from aliexpress and now Ive read that other products from this company are killing ossc's, pvms etc. Does anyone know if this particular product is safe or not ? thanks in advance.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32907453394.html
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

chrid2001 wrote:Hi so i recently ordered a cbox v2 jamma from aliexpress and now Ive read that other products from this company are killing ossc's, pvms etc. Does anyone know if this particular product is safe or not ? thanks in advance.

I'd stay away from Scart output

You should be good with component out
RuffNEC

Post by RuffNEC »

I have a unatached HD-15 adapter for my HAS. The Signal frequences would be the same as for the 8pin Scart output right?

Id like to avoid a XRGB-2 in my chain because my LCD Monitor won't sync on those 15khz signals... with the XRGB it works because it outputs 31khz
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

Sorry for being a dingus and not reading the entire thread, but does anyone here have contacts for supergun makers that can build setups for Cave and Psikyo boards?
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Shelcoof wrote:
chrid2001 wrote:Hi so i recently ordered a cbox v2 jamma from aliexpress and now Ive read that other products from this company are killing ossc's, pvms etc. Does anyone know if this particular product is safe or not ? thanks in advance.

I have an older Timeharvest CBOX and I've also been using the RCA RGBS (with composite video as sync) on my 20L5 without any problems, except for some minor sync problems (20 lines or so at the top of the screen look wavy) on some boards. IIRC, the same sync problems occurred when I tried component.

Never tried the SCART output (only have JP21 cables), will have to remember to never do so.

chrid2001, where did you read that the CBOX might damage a PVM?
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

finisherr wrote:Sorry for being a dingus and not reading the entire thread, but does anyone here have contacts for supergun makers that can build setups for Cave and Psikyo boards?
If you're willing to wait for custom work, this is who you want.

http://www.axunworks.com

If it's available, my first choice would be the HAS, but I'm not sure it's for sale right now.

Once I get my new HAS, I'll also be selling my old HAS if you want as well, but I don't know when I'll receive the new one.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

jd213 wrote:
Shelcoof wrote:

I have an older Timeharvest CBOX and I've also been using the RCA RGBS (with composite video as sync) on my 20L5 without any problems, except for some minor sync problems (20 lines or so at the top of the screen look wavy) on some boards. IIRC, the same sync problems occurred when I tried component.

Never tried the SCART output (only have JP21 cables), will have to remember to never do so.

chrid2001, where did you read that the CBOX might damage a PVM?
The information is everywhere including this forum. Wont dig up references but the bottom line is that some of these units do not buffer the RGB signal and that's what causes the damage.

The signal was meant for arcade monitors.

At least that is what I can remember.
jd213

Post by jd213 »

Hmm, heard about these CBOXes damaging an OSSC but not a PVM. Never noticed any problems like an overly bright picture on my 20L5, but I decided to get out my scope and check the RGB signals of some of my arcade boards through my CBOX.

Looks like the voltage is around 1.5 to 2 Vpp, so it's attenuating the signal a bit, but not enough to get it near 0.7V. The 20L5 manual says 0.7 Vpp +-6dB, which I believe could be as high as about 1.39 Vpp. So 1.5 to 2V would indeed be technically out of spec according to the manual, and maybe this would slowly affect a PVM over time, but I'm not too worried considering the build quality of PVMs. Also never had the protection circuit engage while playing an arcade board (unlike the Omega consolized MVS that I had for a brief while, which would cause the tube to click off on all-white screens). Also found a post on arcade-museum saying that they and others had been using direct RGB on their PVMs, which would have an even higher voltage:
https://forums.arcade-museum.com/thread ... vm.454653/
(FWIW, the component output of this CBOX seemed to have about the same voltages, but I only briefly looked at it. My CBOX is dated 2018-01, I believe I read that later ones have proper voltage, but might be a good idea to check).

But maybe I'll see if I can wire in some resistors for peace of mind. Not like I don't already have a dozen soldering projects waiting to get done...
bcass

Post by bcass »

I've been looking for a Sigma 9000TB stick and came across this:

https://www.tops-game.jp/products/detai ... ct_id=5966

Specifically the stick - Σ3TB. Anyone have any experience with that? Is it some kind of modern successor to the 9000TB? Does it have a metal case as per the 9000TB? How difficult to fit a zero-lag USB PCB to one of those?
sharak

Post by sharak »

bcass wrote:I've been looking for a Sigma 9000TB stick and came across this:

Specifically the stick - Σ3TB. Anyone have any experience with that? Is it some kind of modern successor to the 9000TB? Does it have a metal case as per the 9000TB? How difficult to fit a zero-lag USB PCB to one of those?
I have the Σ3TB. It is indeed the modern successor to the 9000TB. It has a metal case. How difficult it is to fit a board etc is more down to your skills; there’s loads of room inside and it’s pretty easy though. The turbo function is controlled by the supergun itself, not the controller (there’s no timing circuit inside).
digitron

Post by digitron »

Has anyone purchased one of those cheap Megadrive RGB scart cables from Aliexpress and used them on your Sigma supergun? Do you know if the pinout worked out of the package or did you have to rewire it? Ty
Housematt

Post by Housematt »

digitron wrote:Has anyone purchased one of those cheap Megadrive RGB scart cables from Aliexpress and used them on your Sigma supergun? Do you know if the pinout worked out of the package or did you have to rewire it? Ty
I bought these (MD2) guys a while back - five bucks including delivery. My expectations were not high. But i was pleasantluy surprised. It's absolutely not RGC or retroaccess quality, but it's 1/5 the price. Worked perfectly with my MiniGun Supergun (MD2 9pin mini-din pinout)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32809222804.html
They are all wired to standard PAL SCART pinout

You use case is a bit differnt - the Sigma is a Master System 1/MD1 (Din-8 ) pinout like this
https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sigma_Supergun_Pinouts
But looks like the pinout changes depending on if the Sigma is in RGBS or composite mode

One of these cheap ali SCART cables looks like it will work in composite mode - standard MD1 pinout into cable that is wired for standard MD1 pintout
but not in RGBS mode - custom Sigma pinout into cable that is wired for standard MD1 pinout. Looks like Right Audio is where Composite/Sync is susposed to be

So if you get one of these cables and it wont sync in RGBS, that might be why
bcass

Post by bcass »

sharak wrote:
bcass wrote:I've been looking for a Sigma 9000TB stick and came across this:

I have the Σ3TB. It is indeed the modern successor to the 9000TB. It has a metal case. How difficult it is to fit a board etc is more down to your skills; there’s loads of room inside and it’s pretty easy though. The turbo function is controlled by the supergun itself, not the controller (there’s no timing circuit inside).
Is it still all Seimitsu parts inside?