The Supergun discussion and Q&A thread.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
moh

Re: The Supergun discussion and Q&A thread.

Post by moh »

shmuppyLove wrote:How are people handling kick harnesses with your superguns?

My supergun (a Vogatek Mk II) has 4-button support for the MVS, but doesn't have facilities for a 6-button setup.

I'm currently using a heavily modified Hori Tekken 6 PS3 stick, and have 4 buttons wired up, which connects to the supergun using a modified PS1/PS2 cable.

I'm thinking I'll build another joystick with a hybrid 7-button layout; have the top 4 buttons wired directly to the Vogatek (for NeoGeo goodness) and have 3 buttons on the bottom row connected to the kick harness which would plug directly into the CPS2.

Make sense? Would I be better off wiring the kick buttons to something like an RJ45 connector then building an RJ45 to kick harness cable?
I would think that just wiring the extra three buttons to the kick harness would be the easiest. that way you could just connect whenever you were using your CPS2 and disconnect whenever you wanna plug something else in.
GaijinPunch wrote:Ketsui with suction cup.
dukenukems

Post by dukenukems »

Ok guys gonna be having a forum member building me a supergun for my ninja turtles.What would be good to lay the board on as it is pluuged to the supergun?
Amasis

Post by Amasis »

Anything antistatic would be best (bubble wrap, esd foil etc.) or other surfaces which don't build up a charge. Avoid putting it on a carpet.
cools

Post by cools »

Bubble wrap isn't antistatic, and ESD foil is conductive...

A wooden board, just like you'd find inside a cabinet is ideal. Head to your nearest DIY or building supplies place and find a cheap offcut of plywood or MDF.
Amasis

Post by Amasis »

My fault. Should have written the pink antistatic bubble wrap and conductive also means it's antistatic :). I think the resistance of the foil is high enough so there won't be relevant creeping currents. But yeah, untreated wood would be the best.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

I just use a cardboard box.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

I always thought pegboard would make a good platform for PCBs. You could find some kind of feet that would fit into the holes on the board and on the PCB, and you could move them around easily.

Wouldn't work in a cab of course where you would normally have the board sitting upright inside, but flat on a table or floor I think would work very well. Or maybe even a piece of pegboard on top of another piece of wood?
CkRtech

Post by CkRtech »

Those of you that placed your power supply inside your enclosure, which method did you use to secure it to the inside of the enclosure?
Azure

Post by Azure »

Generally I just drill holes in the case and use 8mm bolts w/nuts to bolt them down.... done. Not too fancy, but it works.
CkRtech

Post by CkRtech »

Thanks, Azure. That seems like the most reliable way. It would have been nice to not have to drill holes through the case for bolts, but this has to be the best way to secure something that heavy to the case.

I'll probably go in from the bottom of the case, so I will most likely need some feet for this guy.
Azure

Post by Azure »

What sort of enclosurere you using CkRtech?
CkRtech

Post by CkRtech »

ABS plastic enclosure from Polycase. 11.81 x 9.05 x 3.40 in.

All sides are quite flat. If I put a bolt through the bottom, I will need to elevate it to compensate.
Azure

Post by Azure »

Okay. I like polycase stuff:)
dukenukems

Post by dukenukems »

i just bought an ultimate mk3 jamma board from ebay ans the supergun i'm having made for me is gonna be able to use saturn pads.Would all the buttons still work for the game since it's a jamma+?Sorr y for something that may be simple to know since this is my first time venturing in to using a supergun.
CkRtech

Post by CkRtech »

Hey dukenukems,

I believe your board uses a kick harness for wiring up the extra buttons. If you are having the Supergun made for you, you probably want to check with the person making it and make sure that it will support this kick harness. The builder will either need to wire this particular kick harness directly to the device/plug handling your Saturn controller inputs (not recommended), or put some sort of connector (such as a DB-9 for example) on the Supergun which will allow you to wire various kick harnesses into your Supergun for different games. This would naturally require the kick harness itself to have a matching connector put on the opposite end of the PCB plug.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

dukenukems wrote:i just bought an ultimate mk3 jamma board from ebay ans the supergun i'm having made for me is gonna be able to use saturn pads.Would all the buttons still work for the game since it's a jamma+?Sorr y for something that may be simple to know since this is my first time venturing in to using a supergun.
You need to discuss this with the person making the SG. My SG has a "kick harness" plug which should allow some extra buttons to be connected - nothing on the side of the controller used, but rather you connect the kick harness or extra controls to the SG itself. At least that's one way of making it go.

Also, Neo Geo connector style would be better to use.
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

For anyone interested in building a supergun I used to use a computer power supply to power my arcade boards. With a lot of boards this worked fine, but some boards would have trouble starting and another board would randomly reset. I recently picked up a cheap ebay arcade power supply which has adjustable voltage on it. My supergun is powered by an atx power port, so I wired my new power supply into an atx molex. With the new power supply the same pcbs that used to give me trouble gave me the same trouble. Next I adjusted the voltage on my power supply and now all of my pcbs run problem free. I can't stress enough how important it is to build a supergun where you can fine tune the voltage (atleast I assume that's what you're adjusting when you turn that knob). My power supply is just one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ARCADE-SWIT ... 1c2a310e76

You need to wire up everything yourself and build a power switch for it. I removed the screw connectors and hard wired my power supply 120v input and atx output. Here's how my psu looks once everything is done:

It's not the prettiest thing but finally all of my arcade boards run without any issue. When I first built my supergun I read on the internet that using a computer psu will work fine. The vogatek that my supergun is based on even comes with an atx port on it. Without that little voltage adjustment knob some boards just won't work right. I hope nobody else ever has to go through the frustration of trying to get their board to boot just because they're missing that little adjustment knob.
RGB

Post by RGB »

Well, while I do agree that a PSU with the adjustable 5V line is your best bet, I think the problem you had with your ATX PSU was of different nature. As I see now in the picture, your setup uses single wires for GND and 5V from PSU. This wouldn't be too bad, but these are really thin wires right there and probably can't (well, couldn't with the old atx psu) provide enough juice for more power demanding PCBs.
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

RGB wrote:Well, while I do agree that a PSU with the adjustable 5V line is your best bet, I think the problem you had with your ATX PSU was of different nature. As I see now in the picture, your setup uses single wires for GND and 5V from PSU. This wouldn't be too bad, but these are really thin wires right there and probably can't (well, couldn't with the old atx psu) provide enough juice for more power demanding PCBs.
I used (and still use) thick power supply wires. Before I even tried using thicker wires and it made no difference. Then I found a youtube video of an arcade collector demonstrating a board he bought on ebay listed as "not working". He plugs it in, it gives garbled graphics. He adjusts the 5v line slightly, and it runs fine. That's where I got the idea that maybe it was just the voltage (which turned out to be true).
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Isn't there some possibility of boards overheating if they're in a totally enclosed space?
Drakon

Post by Drakon »

Ed Oscuro wrote:Isn't there some possibility of boards overheating if they're in a totally enclosed space?
I cut air holes in the sides of my cheap cases. So I wouldn't know.
justice99

Post by justice99 »

Hello guyz,

I will receive very soon some jamma PCB and an XRGB-3.
I have 2 PS2 arcade stick with PS2 to NeoGeo adapter, what is the cheapest supergun that i can buy ?
I am looking for a simple and normal supergun.

Thanks in advance and happy new year.
rivals

Post by rivals »

Quick video question. If I'm building a supergun that I know is always going to be plugged into something with RGB/sync inputs (upscaler or otherwise), is there any need for a video encoder in it? Theoretically I could just tap the lines into whatever I want (BNC, rca, etc) and be good, right? Would probably be a good idea to add some pots though, any recommendations?
RGB

Post by RGB »

You won't need any video converter for your setup, but potentiometers are always a good idea. 500R or 1K will do.
moh

Post by moh »

hmmm. do you guys put fuses on your 5v and 12v lines? I'm wondering whether they're completely necessary.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

There was a project a while back (I don't think it was completed) to create a JAMMA extender with (self-healing) fuses on all voltage lines: link.

Also, this might be a photo of the thing: link
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

So, I'm thinking of building my own custom supergun, well, starting to anyway.

I bought a Vogatek a while ago, and it works pretty well, but it only has composite and s-video output, and I want to be able to use a VGA LCD monitor instead.

Here's what I'm thinking, let me know if it's dumb/crazy/impossible:

- Use a JAMMA extender, cut the video lines from the supergun side and feed the video to the GBS-8220 instead.
- Power the GBS-8220 from existing PC power supply that also powers the Vogatek.

Should work fine, right? Basically I'd be using the GBS-8220 instead of whatever's on the Vogatek. I might also get a mini SLG later on, but I'm not too picky about that stuff.
moh

Post by moh »

shmuppyLove wrote:So, I'm thinking of building my own custom supergun, well, starting to anyway.

I bought a Vogatek a while ago, and it works pretty well, but it only has composite and s-video output, and I want to be able to use a VGA LCD monitor instead.

Here's what I'm thinking, let me know if it's dumb/crazy/impossible:

- Use a JAMMA extender, cut the video lines from the supergun side and feed the video to the GBS-8220 instead.
- Power the GBS-8220 from existing PC power supply that also powers the Vogatek.

Should work fine, right? Basically I'd be using the GBS-8220 instead of whatever's on the Vogatek. I might also get a mini SLG later on, but I'm not too picky about that stuff.
I dont see why that wouldn't work, I did something similar, but built from scratch instead of using the Vogatek.
2 Neo Geo Controller ports:
Jamma harness running out the side, with video running to the top-mounted GBS-8220 along with +5V running to it
service, test buttons, and attenuated line level mono audio in 2 channels
and a spot to plug in any pc power supply
Lynx Winters

Post by Lynx Winters »

In the near future I'll be getting my Sigma AV7000 back out of storage and I'm planning on making a 13-pin DIN to DB15 cable so I can connect a PS2 controller to the supergun using the etokki PSX to JAMMA converter. I've found the pinouts for both ends so it's a simple matter of just matching them up, but I noticed that the Sigma's pinout doesn't have a ground pin while the PSX/JAMMA converter does. Will I need to find a way to ground the converter, or can I just skip that pin on the connector?
RGB

Post by RGB »

There obviously is ground, it's just connected to the shield.