The Supergun discussion and Q&A thread.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
moltomolto

Re: The Supergun discussion and Q&A thread.

Post by moltomolto »

Hey guys any suggestions on the best pre-built SuperGuns out there? I'm trying to decide between the arcadeforge mak strike or the multimods custom ones. Any good or bad experiences with these? I've heard and seen some great work from RGB on this forum, but as of a few pages back it looks like his pre-orders were sold out, so I'm not sure if that's an option. I'm mostly concerned with playing MVS and CPS2 games if that helps. Thanks in advance
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Here's RGB's sales thread on the HAS - looks to be available. I got one. Excellent work and nice cable add-ons.

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=52895
moltomolto

Post by moltomolto »

That looks great, but I was really hoping to get one built into an enclosure, such as the deluxe mak superstrike, or some of the custom ones people have shared in this thread. I'm still trying to decide so I may still go for the HAS. I know they cost a little bit more, but I just love the appearance and console-like form factor when they're built into an enclosure. Any recommendations for that type? Thanks again
d0s

Post by d0s »

Even though I have an AV5000 I'm going to build my own supergun as a project because I'm starting to teach myself basic electronics. I'd like to have a 3-gang pot to control the RGB signal instead of having one for each, so I can adjust the brightness uniformly the way I can on my Sigma. I've heard that brightness pots need to have a resistance around 1K ohms but the lowest 3-gang I can find is 4.7k: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251620741173 . I'm also not sure how to tell if this is a log or lin pot (I know I need linear). Would this work for me despite the high resistance, or does anyone know where to find a 3-gang pot with the proper resistance?

e: if it makes a difference I won't be using any encoder in this supergun, just sending pure RGB out thru SCART
Mandarake

Post by Mandarake »

How can I buy a supergun from RGB??
Thanks a lot
ryu

Post by ryu »

Send him a PM
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

Anyone know how I activate the lower three buttons on my TB9000 stick / Sigma AV7000?

Just come to use a game that actually requires four buttons and I cannot get buttons 4 - 6 to register.

Tried the I/O test on several boards and buttons 4 - 6 aren't recognised :(

Is it the JAMMA loom or do I need some additional harness to activate the extra three buttons?

Haylp!! :?
RGB

Post by RGB »

Hey Tarma,

What game is that? Most PCBs that use more than 3 buttons require a kick harness; I believe this is what your setup is missing.
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

RGB wrote:Hey Tarma,

What game is that? Most PCBs that use more than 3 buttons require a kick harness; I believe this is what your setup is missing.
PGM mobo and ibara kuro

I always thought the kick harness was for CPS1 & 2 stuff!
RGB

Post by RGB »

Yeah, those two PCBs should work, the 4th button is available through the JAMMA edge of the PCB. I would check the continuity of the JAMMA harness and the TB9000 stick.
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

Ah, how do I do that?

The loom was supplied with the Sigma. Could do with one with a test switch though.
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

So this has turned out to be a rather straight forward solution - the JAMMA loom is not wired for buttons 4 - 6 just 1 - 3.

I find this slightly odd given the Sigma TB9000's standard six button layout, but there you go.

So kids, just remember, buy your JAMMA loom from MAK JAPAN and it may not be fully wired.

Trip to Maplins tomorrow to get some cable and time to break out the soldering iron.
CouryC

Post by CouryC »

Hi everyone, I'm a new Supergun owner - I sold some extra N64 carts for way more than I was ever expecting so I went ahead and bought one of Jasen's Customs MK30ADCAP Superguns ( http://www.jasenscustoms.com/MK30ADCAP- ... _p_14.html ) because it seemed to be exactly what I wanted. I felt like I'd have no issues, plus having an internal power supply was a must for my setup.

Anyway, I purchased a TMNT '89 arcade board at the same time from a local arcade owner because that was one of my must have games and couldn't turn it down. Unfortunately, things haven't gone as smooth as I was hoping for.

First off, the RGB image has just a ton of noise in it. I'm running the Supergun to an XRGB Mini Framemeister. I originally thought that this was due to the 8 pin minidin to SCART that I purchased from Retro_Console_Accessories on eBay was a bit longer than it should be - about 9 feet. When I ordered it, I didnt know how far away I'd be putting the Supergun, so i got this length to be safe. I ended up ordering a normal length cable (~5 ft) with the pro cabling option just to be sure...and while it cut down on the noise a little bit, its still there.

Secondly, I'm also running the supergun to a couple of PVMs. I'm using a gscartsw SCART switcher, which has two video outputs. One video ouptut goes to the framemeister (SCART) and the other is a VGA D Sub output that goes to a VGA to BNC cable into a Sony PVM 14M4U, which then feeds via a BNC cable to a Sony PVM 20L5. And this is where things really go all over the place.

The image is really dark and has a very strange color banding on screen. In additon, specifically on my 20L5, theres a weird curvature at the top of the screen that could be a sync issue.

I've run a whole bunch of comparisons and tweaks to see what if I could troubleshoot the issue, and heres what I've found.

1.) The MK30ADCAP has other outputs - component, s-video and composite. Component looks great on the PVMs, except it still displays the curve at the top of the screen on the 20L5. Noise is greatly reduced. Unfortunately, the Framemeister won't register the the Supergun over component. I do wonder if this is because the Framemeister seems to see TMNT as 241p over RGB, and maybe thats too out of spec for Component. S-video looks good, and the Framemeister sees it...but...I don't want to use S-Video, y'know?

2.) I've tried going directly to the PVM and it exhibits the same issue. I used a SCART to BNC cable.

3.) Thinking it could be an issue with the board, I took it too a local arcade and they put it in the cabinet and it booted up and displayed with none of the issues.

4.) I HAVE tried a second board on it. Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. NO sync issues on the 20L5 and NO color banding at all. But there was still a bunch of noise present. Of course, this was before I got my heavy duty cable, but the noise was the same that I've been seeing from the TMNT board.

5.) I've tried running it through a Extron RGB 201Rxi and it did not fix the issues.

Anyway, if you want to see a video on it, I put together a video log on the issue. Of course, this is a couple of weeks ago, before I had a chance to check the board on another setup or try the heavier duty cable. You can watch that video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dkZKf86rh8

Sorry for my rambling in that video, i cut it down as much as I could while retaining the info. It was done totally unscripted and off the top of my head. I'm bad without a script.

So, has anyone seen anything like this before? Any suggestions of what it could be? I've been working on this for what feels like forever and I just want to figure it out and see what my next course of action should be.

Thanks so much for all of your help, and any advice would be appreciated!
system11

Post by system11 »

Just a note - a lot of Konami boards cause problems for some monitors - the effect where you see weird shadows appearing due to things disappearing off the left edge, both my cabs and my test bench do that with Crime Fighters for example, three different types on monitor right there. Sega have a similar problem with System 18 games at least. Taito have loads of problems with sync on anything evolved from the oldest Toaplan hardware and anything Seta based which can cause a small droop/wobble on the top edge. Namco on the other hand tend to have a lovely clean image. Irem are mostly dim, Capcom are always excellent.

My point is, if you expect perfection in an arcade setup given the approximate 20,000 different qualities and standards of video signal, you're going to be disappointed. It's very analogue.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
CouryC

Post by CouryC »

I really appreciate this. I guess i just have to remember that I might run into issues - its all not as easy as consoles. I can, thankfully, play via component on my PVM with a fully bright, non color banding image. RGB is the only one that seems to have problems. I can capture through the Framemeister without the issues though, and thats what matters in the long run.

Thanks for the break down, I still have a lot to learn about all of this - I guess I was just kinda bummed because I ran into this right out of the gate with TMNT.
S1nn3r

Post by S1nn3r »

Hi all,

Have not posted in a very long time. Need some advice..

Years ago I bought a Ibara PCB and a Supergun, this didn't work out so well, see my really old thread here: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=12538

Now I no longer have the supergun, but I still have the PCB. So I was wondering if a "bare minimum" supergun would work with it so I can maybe get some use out of it ? something like the following:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAMMA-ARCADE- ... xyVLNS4DiW

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jamma-Arcade- ... Sw~bFWNl7X
axlblazeadam

Post by axlblazeadam »

Sorry if this is a noob question, but there is so much information i can't see the wood for the trees...

I want to buy a Supergun to play Jamma PCB's, but there are so many options available.

Looking for a "consolized" Supergun, like the Jamma Nation X Supergun, but that one isn't available anymore. I have no technical background, so building one myself is out of the question. :lol:

I'm looking for a unit that has:

- The Jamma breakout cable already installed, so i can just plug in the Jamma-ready PCB
- The power supply breakout cable for the PCB installed, so i won't need to to power the PCB from a seperate source
- RGB output, so i can hook it up to my Framemeister (including the audio output over SCART, if that's possible?)
- Controller inputs (Neo Geo arcade stick?)

What is a good choice here? Or isn't it really that simple?

Again sorry for probably a very basic question, but i'm really lost here.

Thank you
kardus

Post by kardus »

axlblazeadam wrote:Sorry if this is a noob question, but there is so much information i can't see the wood for the trees...

I want to buy a Supergun to play Jamma PCB's, but there are so many options available.

Looking for a "consolized" Supergun, like the Jamma Nation X Supergun, but that one isn't available anymore. I have no technical background, so building one myself is out of the question. :lol:

I'm looking for a unit that has:

- The Jamma breakout cable already installed, so i can just plug in the Jamma-ready PCB
- The power supply breakout cable for the PCB installed, so i won't need to to power the PCB from a seperate source
- RGB output, so i can hook it up to my Framemeister (including the audio output over SCART, if that's possible?)
- Controller inputs (Neo Geo arcade stick?)

What is a good choice here? Or isn't it really that simple?

Again sorry for probably a very basic question, but i'm really lost here.

Thank you

The HAS satisfies many of your requirements:

- NEO GEO controller inputs
- RGB output (in fact it outputs via an 8-pin mini din that can go straight into the framemeister)
- Power supply is connected via a separate cable, powers both the supergun and the board
- No breakout cable, the supergun plugs directly into the board. You can always buy a separate jamma extension harness if you don't want to plugging into your boards directly for whatever reason
axlblazeadam

Post by axlblazeadam »

kardus wrote: The HAS satisfies many of your requirements:
Thank you for your response! The HAS sounds tempting and the price is really good for what you get. I will check out if the HAS can support the 6 button controller and 4 player config too.

What do you think about the MAK Supergun (the enclosed unit?) http://arcadeforge.net/Supergun-MAK-Str ... ::171.html

I love the consolized look.

Again, thanks for taking your time to respond, it is really hard to decide on which Supergun to get if you are not capable of building it yourself. I don't want to buy consolized controllers like the Raijin, but a seperate unit, which i can use my own contollers on, without having to have a seperate PSU etc.
kardus

Post by kardus »

I don't have any experience with the MAK stuff but it've heard from others that the cheaper MAK stuff isn't really that great, not too sure about the more expensive ones. I got the HAS mainly for convenience- I can build my own supergun so honestly I find most of them way overpriced.

The HAS doesn't have the streamlined look of a metal enclosure but for your purposes I think it's one of the best choices if you can't DIY. You can connect to directly to the FM with a $5 cable. With kick harness it will also support 6 buttons + start plus I think it's possible to assign coin up to a button on the controller as well. Not entirely sure about 4-player mode, though. Might want to ask in the HAS thread.
atheistgod1999
Banned User

Post by atheistgod1999 »

Got some questions:
1. Should I bother getting one if I don't yet have a good monitor I can flip on its side for vertical-orientation games?
2. Is $200 enough for a good one?
3. Should I build one myself or buy one?
4. What are some recommended ones?
Xyga wrote:It's really awesome how quash never gets tired of hammering the same stupid shit over and over and you guys don't suspect for second that he's actually paid for this.
Mantrox

Post by Mantrox »

Quick question, as RGB is currently on vacation i thought maybe somebody has already had this problem.

I'm using a supergun Atro from Neo-Geo made for me with a saturn-neogeo converter from RGB.
When i play Outzone everything works fine, shoot, bomb, directionals, etc...
When i play Dimahoo(or any CPS2 game with another MB), shoot, auto fire, directionals work but the bomb(B) button doesnt work.

Has anybody had a similar issue?

Edit: Nevermind, it was the supergun acting weird, everything is working now.
Alex25

Post by Alex25 »

thanks for the reply, yeah i'm using a tv with scart, tried 3 different tv's all had the same problem to different extent.
DashKrimson

Post by DashKrimson »

Right, it's been way too long now, and I need to get my Pana Custom fixed before the end of the year. But who to send it off to, where, and with what? I'm in the UK, by the way.

Can anyone make any recommendations as to good repair services for superguns in the UK? I don't mind paying out the ear, as long as it's not the price of a whole new supergun, I'm fine with it.

Oh, and what should I send along with the machine? Would buying a new PSU and sending it with that reduce the repair price? How long would it take? Aiiiiyaiiyai, so many n00b questions...
furntree

Post by furntree »

Hey guys! Was hoping to be pointed in the right direction to have someone build a custom supergun for me. (RGB maybe?) Not the biggest fan of the current off the shelf competition and was looking for a bit of a custom made box! Have cash in hand and ready to get started on this project! :)
mortron

Post by mortron »

RGB Go MIA? I tried to click on a link, but do not have permission...
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

@CouryC - I am seing what you are seing on my MK30. The best way that I can describe it is like small waves in a pond, like if you have a tub full of water and the water is not moving, now drop a quarter in the middle of the tub and small waves will run on all directions.. This is what I am seing on my MK30 connected on an xrgb mini with an 8pin mini to the MK30. At some point I will ask Jasen if I can ship it and if he could take a look.. I reached out to a member at the Arcade-Projects that also has an MK30.. He mentioned that he gets a perfect picture. He is using the 9 feet 8 mini a pin cable.. I am using the 5 feet..

I had it for almost a year and was using it for my JVS systems with the VGA video going directly to my monitors.. I never looked into the RGB video out put until I read your post.
The Future Is Now
GGA_HAN

Post by GGA_HAN »

@SNK-NEO-GEO and @CouryC

Re: MK30 ADCAP supergun, I get the same type of signal noise over RGB, check out this video of my CPS1 Knights of the Round PCB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASc62RIQ4Z4

Its pretty easy to see at 00:10 -00:11 seconds in. Not sure what causes it, but it's not there when I try to capture a/v or component.
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

Yes.. that is what I was seeing on my unit..CPS2, Neogeo, System 16 Shinobi..anything over RGB..sorry to hear that you are also having the same issue.. whatever you do not open the unit and try to fix it.. I opened it, tried to fix the problem and in the process I F'ed it up. Opening the unit will also void the warranty, so do not do it.. Best thing is to reach out to Jasen and link him to the video and see if you can ship it back to him so he can look into the issue.
GGA_HAN wrote:@SNK-NEO-GEO and @CouryC

Re: MK30 ADCAP supergun, I get the same type of signal noise over RGB, check out this video of my CPS1 Knights of the Round PCB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASc62RIQ4Z4

Its pretty easy to see at 00:10 -00:11 seconds in. Not sure what causes it, but it's not there when I try to capture a/v or component.
The Future Is Now
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

That artifacting is switching noise from the power supply. Those superguns still use those shitty HAPP power supplies that don't filter out that switching noise well (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Switching-Power ... 23367f9ce9).