shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:25 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 545 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
 Post subject: Re: The Supergun discussion and Q&A thread.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:49 am 

Well that sucks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:46 pm 

Hello guys, Im pretty new to the supergun business, but have been using it for MVS carts for a while, which works fine. However, just got my first board (WWF Superstars), and the supergun cuts the power when i try to boot it up. So ive been thinking, maybe its not the right voltage? After all, there is an option to change from 5V (which the MV1FZ use) to 12 volt, so ive been thinking, maybe that is what i have to do? But i dont want to do it if i can damage something.

Anyways, i use a retroelectonik supergun, works great as i said with the MV1FZ. Shuts down instantly when i try the WWF Superstars board. So do avoid damage to anything, i ask here. Any tips? Thanks in advance!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:48 pm 

Are you using the "ProGamer" version of the retroelectronik supergun? If so what voltage is it displaying?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:36 pm 

Since this may be helpful to anyone who's considering it: I can put in my recommendation NOT to buy the Retroelectronik supergun. I bought one back in May, and given the warnings of a number of people here and elsewhere, I made sure to look it over to ensure it was good. Nothing was touching any traces, nothing seemed cold-soldered, etc... It was all fine, I assumed.

Then my MV1B died. Which I chalked up to being a used piece of hardware, and moved on to a MB1A. Which immediately started acting up.

After troubleshooting everything I could, I finally found, while cleaning the JAMMA ends of things, that one of the grounds in the connector on the supergun was snapped off. Now, it could've been me (unlikely), or it could've just been made with a really shitty connector. But it was broken. Also, it was last week, so I couldn't exactly get a refund on the thing.

In addition: I had bought the 15 pin to 9 pin Sega adapters and one immediately fried on me. When I went for a refund, I received it after Ebay defaulted to a refund because the seller did not respond. He was similarly radio-silent when I had sent other messages post-purchase.

This thing might look like a great deal to someone new to the scene (as it did to me, and as I am/was), but it's a complete waste of time and money. Do not buy the Retroelectronik supergun, and I would highly suggest anyone who has recently purchased one return theirs. Given my experience, I wouldn't be surprised if the dude just doesn't respond at all and you get a refund and a (piece of shit, dangerous) supergun to chuck in the garbage.

I lost a perfectly good piece of hardware (possibly two; waiting on a MAK Strike now to see if the MV1A is permanently screwed) on this thing. I'd really like if others could be saved from taking a similar risk.

DO NOT BUY THE RETROELECTRONIK SUPERGUN.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:48 pm 

The switch for 5v<->12v is simply to change what is measured and displays on the LCD. It does not actually switch voltage anywhere. You have (or should have) +5V, +12V and -5V available from your power supply and via the jamma connector. Check the appropriate jamma pins with a multimeter to confirm.

There is a switch, however, that will enable the retroelektronic to generate -5v, if you are using a power supply that does not provide it and is connected to the ATX (PC power supply) connector. Neo Geo does not require -5v, but WWF might. I would start with confirming you have -5v at the edge connector, and if not, rectifying that situation.

All that said, I recently had a Strikers 1945 board doing the exact same thing that you describe, and I've got an arcade power supply supplying my retroelektronic, with +5v, +12v and -5v present. So, possibly the issues are related, possibly not. But I am watching for any more responses, in case other users are having the same problem.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 545 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19