using projector for gaming?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
gundamalpha

using projector for gaming?

Post by gundamalpha »

is this possible if the projector has component, 15-pin D-sub, composite and s-video input? or do i need an upscan converter to get display? if this is possible will the quality be as good as on regular monitor or tv using same hook up?
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Projectors designed with home theater in mind will work fine with any console. No upscan device is required because it is built into the projector.

Best place to go is -

www.projectorcentral.com

They have almost every projector listed, if the projector you have supports 480i resolution it will work. The only projectors that I am aware of that do not support TV resolutions are for presentations and PC's and usually they only have HD15 input for SVGA.. Yours has all the inputs so I am thinking its 99% chance of it being for home theater.

The quality of a projector image is not just dependant on the unit. There are so many factors. Lumens output, contrast are the 2 biggest technological factors. But also you have to look at other factors like -

1) How far is the projector from the wall your projecting onto?

Obviously the further away the bigger the picture, the bigger the picture the less light and contrast you will get. With projectors, anything less than 12 feet should give you a picture similar to a TV.

2) Is this a dark room or living room environment?

The more light that can get through the windows the worst the projector will perform.

take into account that shmups are usually very low resolution. Blowing them up to even 4 or 5 feet is going to get ugly. Somebody once played Street fighter on a projector with a huge screen, he stated each pixel was almost as big as his thumb nail. :shock:

DC VGA stuff will look much better than say PS2 stuff.

You can tate projectors easily if your using a white wall, just make sure the vent/intakes are not on the side of the unit which its laying on.

Hope thats answered your questions.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
gundamalpha

Post by gundamalpha »

thanks for your help, really appreciate :wink: i guess it's not a good idea to play non hi res games with it and since i'll be mainly playing those i'll just stick to the tv.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

My opinion is that if your wanting to play videogames on a projector. Stick with DC, GC, PS2 and Xbox and beyond. But also make sure the games you buy are at least progressive scan enabled or VGA compatible.

So if your wanting to play Burnout, Tekken, Soul Calibur (DC, PS2 versions via progressive/vga) or any Xbox title you will probably be happier with a projector.

Unfortunately Shooters are not made for the Hidefinition market they are made usually in low resolution.

Basically, any high resolution polygon game will be better served on a projector. Any sprite 2D based game will probably look worse than on a TV.

The only good shooters in hi-res are ikaruga and gigawing 2.. Maybe Zero gunner 2 as well. Apart from those you will be ill served on a projector shooter wise.

Of course you could move the projector really close to the wall your playing on.. say about 6 feet.. but then your defeating the objective of having a projector.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Ikaruga and Border Down should look delicious on that setup. Try them.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
gundamalpha

Post by gundamalpha »

what is this thing lumen? something the more the better or the other way round? also is pixel count an issue when using projector? sort of like the ability of crt monitor display several different pixel settings vs lcd monitor
black mariah
Banned User

Post by black mariah »

Lumens are the unit of measurement for light bulbs.
Blow up self to involve enemies.
D

Post by D »

Are there any projectors that support the input of a RGB SCART cable?

Is it wise to TATE a projector? besides making sure that the ventilation holes are not blocked?

I want to buy a big projector and play Battle Garegga or Raiden Fighters Jet on the world trade center TATE'd

(hearing people wonder: how old are you)
:lol:
Bishamon

Post by Bishamon »

I have a projector that I occasionally use for videogames, but more commonly use for movies. It is my secondary display, and is only used a few hours per week at most.

IMO, the primary concern with an LCD or DLP projector is lamp life; If you are using it very often (i.e. as your primary display) you will burn through the $250-400 lamps in no time. Other than that, there is no reason why you can't use it with just about anything the inputs will accept.