NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
StarCreator

Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360

Post by StarCreator »

Elixir wrote:
dieKatze88 wrote:2. I've been looking at Konami's stuff again, and region downloads seem to be the thing. I bought Castlevania HD from the US store, and while some things are different on my Japanese console, the game is still in English, defaults to English voices (Which is annoying) and has (ENGLISH) after each piece of content in my storage manager, even when signed into my Japanese account.
I actually have Castlevania HD (obviously, since I'm rank #1 on the leaderboards), bought it from my NZ account and play with my Japanese account. The menus are still in English, as are the voices, but the title screen shows 悪魔城ドラキュラ, which is based on my account's region. I guess I could edit this, but it's really game-specific though.
I believe the default language you get in-game in Castlevania HD is based on what you set your system language to - even on an NA console you could get it defaulting to Japanese voices if you set the system language to Japanese. The title screen is based on the console's region, not the gamertag's (I play on a J360 and an NA gamertag and I get the 悪魔城ドラキュラ title screen).

Do either of you still play? I could use a reason to activate Gold again...
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

Elixir wrote:
dieKatze88 wrote:1. No longer correct, you can now remove a credit card from an account easily using the Xbox.com website. It doesn't involve Microsoft's phone support or punching yourself in the dick.

2. I've been looking at Konami's stuff again, and region downloads seem to be the thing. I bought Castlevania HD from the US store, and while some things are different on my Japanese console, the game is still in English, defaults to English voices (Which is annoying) and has (ENGLISH) after each piece of content in my storage manager, even when signed into my Japanese account.

I'm too much of a chicken to buy the Japanese release and test the waters though.

3. I think my recent posts have proved this wrong. I was able to purchase directly, so this may work now, but this apparently only works with a Credit Card. Someone could try with points.
I think credit card removal is still US-only, maybe works in the UK too. Can someone who is not in the US or UK and who has a credit card attached to their Xbox Live account check the site, to see if there's an option? There's no way I'm adding a credit card again myself.

I actually have Castlevania HD (obviously, since I'm rank #1 on the leaderboards), bought it from my NZ account and play with my Japanese account. The menus are still in English, as are the voices, but the title screen shows 悪魔城ドラキュラ, which is based on my account's region. I guess I could edit this, but it's really game-specific though.

As for GoD, I can't add a non-Japanese credit card to my account, but I did try purchasing Bullet Witch using points last year, which didn't work. Even if this does work with a credit card, you can't add most credit cards, and it only seems like the Paypal credit cards (which are US-only?) are exempt for the rule. I did put this in the OP previously though.
No you can definitely remove a credit card from any region. the delete button is on every region of the website I've seen (which is like 3)

Yeah, on a side note, if you used Soma Cruz, you aren't rank 1. Soma Cruz is cheating. :-P

Actually I think I have found the underlying cause for the paypal card working and local cards not working. Will post more after research.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

StarCreator wrote:Do either of you still play? I could use a reason to activate Gold again...
I still need another Val +1 from Chapter 10, but aside from that, I'm pretty much done. I've put in almost 200 hours.

Good news concerning the credit card removal, maybe Microsoft is finally pulling their head in. I'll update the thread now.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
wariomona

Post by wariomona »

So I finally got around to getting an NTSC-J 360 Slim and it has died within two days :cry:
I'm not sure whether to try returning it to Play-Asia (risk massive costs, risk getting another broken one) or return it to Microsoft (risk getting a PAL one in exchange)...
Because the Slims seem to be much more reliable would they even consider repairing it?
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

wariomona wrote:So I finally got around to getting an NTSC-J 360 Slim and it has died within two days :cry:
I'm not sure whether to try returning it to Play-Asia (risk massive costs, risk getting another broken one) or return it to Microsoft (risk getting a PAL one in exchange)...
Because the Slims seem to be much more reliable would they even consider repairing it?
Email Play-Asia and see what they say. Otherwise, you could most likely have it repaired locally. When I had mine repaired, I specifically told them that I wanted a repair, not a refurbish, and to make a note on file. I also marked the console discretely so I knew the one I was receiving was the one I sent.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

Senko no Ronde DUO is up on Games on Demand, in case anyone cares.
:lol:
Aliquantic

Post by Aliquantic »

I'm planning on selling my JP 360 and want to know if it's possible to store DLC on the memory unit itself? (Mainly for Futari 1.01 and maybe a couple other things) Alternatively, is it possible to transfer DLC from one hard-drive to another hard-drive on the same console? Thanks, I don't fully understand how DLC works on the 360 :|
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

Aliquantic wrote:I'm planning on selling my JP 360 and want to know if it's possible to store DLC on the memory unit itself? (Mainly for Futari 1.01 and maybe a couple other things) Alternatively, is it possible to transfer DLC from one hard-drive to another hard-drive on the same console? Thanks, I don't fully understand how DLC works on the 360 :|
Absolutely, go to My Xbox and scroll all the way to the right to System Settings

then, Go to Memory.

Highlight the source drive and push Y

Choose Transfer Content and follow the onscreen instructions.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

To add to the above - if you want to retain the ability to play your DLC while not signed in to LIVE on a console other than the one you originally purchased it on, you'll want to do the once-a-year license transfer online, then re-download your content. I believe the license transfer tool should be somewhere on http://live.xbox.com/
Aliquantic

Post by Aliquantic »

Actually, allow me to clarify my question: DLC is only "keyed" to a console and you can transfer it freely to other storage devices to be used on the same console, correct? (I know you need to transfer the license to use on other consoles, and I've done so already, but now I wanted to check you can move DLC between hard-drives on the same console) Thanks :)
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Yes, you should be fine moving things between storage devices on the same console.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Here's a little general tip for people buying Microsoft Points. If you login to the Zune website with your Live ID, you can add MSP in units of 400 (instead of 500 as per Xbox Live). Most games on Live are sold in multiple units of 400 so buying your MSP via the Zune website means that you can add the exact amount you need. MSP are shared across Zune, Xbox Live and Games for Windows. To add points on the Zune website, login with your Live ID then click on My Account which appears in the drop down menu when you hover your mouse over your Live ID at the top right of the screen. Then click the Buy Points button.

Also, there's rumour that the upcoming NXE update being rolled out later this month will allow us to buy Live content using paypal, which may make buying GoD titles a little easier.
bcass

Post by bcass »

dieKatze88 wrote:Actually I think I have found the underlying cause for the paypal card working and local cards not working. Will post more after research.
Any further news on this?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Awesome tip on the ZUNE store! 8)
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

Actually yes. After talking to some people at Microsoft (There are some import friendly tech reps who understand our pains) the problem boils down to two main causes:

1. Most credit card issuers will refuse transactions that aren't in the currency they were issued in or close to it, so a US card issuer will typically refuse to process anything but USD and CAD. So the issuer has to be willing to accept a transaction in yen. Paypal's card likely does this because paypal doesn't give a fuck what format the money is in, just as long as it is money.

2. Microsoft refuses to activate one card on two accounts. I'm going to make an educated guess and say that most of you, like me, have two Xbox Live Accounts, one for your native country, and your Japanese account. My bank issued me a Visa debit card that is attached to my US Xbox Live account that I only use for purchasing things (dieKatze88u), as a result, even if it would like to accept yen, I can't attach it to my Japanese Xbox Live account (dieKatze88) because it's already attached somewhere else.

Thats the long and short of it.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

Bump.

Today to the end of the month is the rollout of the Spring 2011 refresh of the Xbox dashboard. In this dashboard includes the ability to pay for any content using paypal, now presumably that means we probably can't get credit card only content, but this adds most of the paypal credit card functionality I discovered to anyone who can get a paypal account (which is just about anyone). Just a heads up.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

dieKatze88 wrote:Bump.

Today to the end of the month is the rollout of the Spring 2011 refresh of the Xbox dashboard. In this dashboard includes the ability to pay for any content using paypal, now presumably that means we probably can't get credit card only content, but this adds most of the paypal credit card functionality I discovered to anyone who can get a paypal account (which is just about anyone). Just a heads up.
If this works for scoring points, I'm happy!
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
bcass

Post by bcass »

The problem is, you have to link an existing paypal account. If your paypal a/c region does not match the region of the Live a/c you're trying to purchase points in, then there could be problems. Someone needs to test it out.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

bcass wrote:The problem is, you have to link an existing paypal account. If your paypal a/c region does not match the region of the Live a/c you're trying to purchase points in, then there could be problems. Someone needs to test it out.
I'd get right on that, but because its a gradual rollout, and I haven't been selected yet, I can't.

Now on the other hand, my Paypal Account is USA, and my credit card works, I don't forsee any problems really.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Preserving thread, 21/05/11.

Paypal is now an option for US accounts, but not Japanese accounts. It's only giving me the option to add a credit card, still.

dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

Elixir wrote:Preserving thread, 21/05/11.

Paypal is now an option for US accounts, but not Japanese accounts. It's only giving me the option to add a credit card, still.
Is your Xbox updated? Have you signed in from an updated Xbox?
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

It was already mentioned on Major Nelson's blog among other places that Japan and several other countries won't be receiving the PayPal functionality.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

dieKatze88 wrote:
Elixir wrote:Preserving thread, 21/05/11.

Is your Xbox updated? Have you signed in from an updated Xbox?
Updated to what?

Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

Elixir wrote:Updated to what?
Updated to the newest firmware, which is currently being rolled out on a region-by-region basis.
:lol:
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Cuilan wrote:
Elixir wrote:Updated to what?
Updated to the newest firmware, which is currently being rolled out on a region-by-region basis.
I haven't had any firmware updates, but the US account I recently made allows me to buy with Paypal through Xbox.com, yet my main Japanese account doesn't have that option.

StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

The newest firmware, which started rolling out on Thursday, adds the ability to use PayPal directly from the dashboard (except for in Japan and several other regions). It also adds an auto-standby feature for people who constantly forget to turn their 360 off.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Just to confirm (from a UK perspective) - there were no problems linking my UK paypal account to my US Live account. I just purchased 2400 US points via paypal which came to a total of £18.94 after paypal's conversion rate to US dollars. What now remains to be seen is if one paypal account can be linked to multiple Live accounts so Japanese points can be bought as well.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

StarCreator wrote:The newest firmware, which started rolling out on Thursday, adds the ability to use PayPal directly from the dashboard (except for in Japan and several other regions). It also adds an auto-standby feature for people who constantly forget to turn their 360 off.
If it isn't going to work for Japanese accounts, I don't see how it's going to benefit this thread at all.

bcass

Post by bcass »

I suppose it's possible, although unlikely, that the option to buy points might be added to the Japanese website (similar to how it is right now on the US website), even if it isn't added to the dash.

Also, if Cave (or any other Japanese publisher) continue to sell Japanese games on the US store that work on Japanese consoles, then being able to buy those Japanese games using paypal is relevant to the thread, I would have thought.
BT2

Post by BT2 »

So I accidentily added an EU 800MSP code on my JP account..
I'm not sure what made it accept the points, did MS change something recently? Perhaps the paypal update disabled the region point-locking thing or perhaps it was because Marketplace was acting wonky earlier today with all those empty boxes on the screen.
Might be interesting to look into.

Anyways, I wanted to download some DLC for the EU version of a certain game so I attached my HDD to my EU 360 and got me an european 800 MSP card but I forgot I turned on auto sign-in and thus signed in on my JP account. So I entered the code without giving it a second thought and it got accepted. Afterwards I noticed I entered the code on the wrong account..

Bleh, got me some iM@S2 DLC instead with the points though.