NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

As far as I know its safe to use a 203W power brick on a Falcon/HDMI 360 as the Falcon will only use 175W of the bricks capabilities. Now using a 175W brick on a non HDMI older console is a no no. As far as the powerbricks connector being different sizes, that I'm not completely sure about.
stuntman

Post by stuntman »

Yup, I'm using a 203W power supply on my Falcon X360 (requires 175W) and it works without any issues.
Don't bomb. DON'T BOMB.
Damn! Should have bombed.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

What flag icon?
for example those shown on the leaderboards:
http://www.mygamercard.net/leaderboard. ... &x=44&y=15
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Fudoh wrote:
What flag icon?
for example those shown on the leaderboards:
http://www.mygamercard.net/leaderboard. ... &x=44&y=15
I guess this is affected by Locale, not your ISP, but note that the site is completely unrelated to owning a Japanese 360, so I won't add it to the FAQ.

http://profile.mygamercard.net/Megalixir%20360

Also, this site sucks, since it's missing over 7000 of my gamerscore.
RackGaki

Post by RackGaki »

This is an awesome FAQ that should have been written years ago. Kudos to you, Elixir!

Now, I just need to get a 120GB HDD so I can install of the new STG's that are coming out.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

RackGaki wrote:This is an awesome FAQ that should have been written years ago. Kudos to you, Elixir!

Now, I just need to get a 120GB HDD so I can install of the new STG's that are coming out.
I've installed both Raiden IV and Otomedius on my HD and quite frankly I don't see much gain in loading time and you still do need the DVD in the tray in order to start the game. The only pro I could see is extending the life the laser lens.
Guardians Knight

Post by Guardians Knight »

just to stick my oar in regarding places to buy your 360's from, anyone reading the trade forum will know i recently had some hastle with yesasia, i'll let anyone interested to do the search for the thread.

also ive just ordered my 360 from gaijinpunch who can be trusted if anyone else wants to buy one - you dont get a possible $10 off coupon like at playasia but i think he sells them for slightly cheaper.

i could really do with a definitive answer about the power supply issue as im going to need one soon. i assume i'll be getting the newest ntsc-j jap model so am i best looking for a 110v/175w power supply from a u.k. unit? - im not up to date with volts versus watts if i got that wrong.
E. Randy Dupre

Post by E. Randy Dupre »

A 203W UK PSU will take whatever type of 360 you plug into it. I don't know why I didn't just say that earlier, actually.
RackGaki

Post by RackGaki »

yojo! wrote:I've installed both Raiden IV and Otomedius on my HD and quite frankly I don't see much gain in loading time and you still do need the DVD in the tray in order to start the game. The only pro I could see is extending the life the laser lens.
Extending the life of the laser is high on my priorities, considering the state of the disc drives I've been privy to.
EatenByGrues

Post by EatenByGrues »

Is the backwards compatibility region-locked on the japanese 360? (i.e. can you play the american version of jet set radio future?)

Is it backwards compatible with Metal Wolf Chaos? (because if I purchase a japanese x-box there is definitely going to be some presidential mech action going on)

Does anyone have experience with using a US power supply on one? If so which model did you have success with?
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

EatenByGrues wrote:Is the backwards compatibility region-locked on the japanese 360? (i.e. can you play the american version of jet set radio future?)

Is it backwards compatible with Metal Wolf Chaos? (because if I purchase a japanese x-box there is definitely going to be some presidential mech action going on)

Does anyone have experience with using a US power supply on one? If so which model did you have success with?
No, no, and it's too much of a gray area to cover.
Pda

Post by Pda »

Here my situation: I have no 360 yet,i live in France,i wanna play the big blockbusters in english(menu/ingame)and JP games only as well.Lastly i plan to download a few games,like Braid etc

Should i get directly a JP box or go for one JP/one other ?
E. Randy Dupre

Post by E. Randy Dupre »

Go over to Play-Asia and check out whether or not the Asian versions of the 'big blockbusters' you want have English translations. If they don't, you'll need to get two machines. If they do, you'll only need a Japanese/Asian one.
nem

Post by nem »

If anyone wants to have a go at ordering one from Renchi, I have $10 off $100+ coupon you can use. PM me.
Battlesmurf

Post by Battlesmurf »

Has anybody bought a system from Play-Asia recently? The more I read- the more it looks like Jasper's are out stateside (US/multiple stores). I shot PA an email asking if they could check their stock- but not sure what fruit (if any) that will bear.

Jasper Tell tales-

on the box:

So far 12.1A anywhere on the box
Team FDOU Lot #0843X

on the system:
a COMBINATION of 0843x and a date of 2008-10-23 or higher
Team FDOU Lot #0843X
150w Power Brick (can be more, may be more with overseas versions?)
256MB internal storage

Honestly- if Play-Asia (or GP?) has Jaspers- with that knowledge and elixirs's guide- more people should be snatching up units.
My trade/wanted list
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1135521

Twitch.tv/RedHotHero
XERO

Post by XERO »

with all this talk of buying a japanese xbox360, i wonder why no one has suggested getting your current xbox360 modded...or is that topic forbidden?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

cause modding just allows you to play burned copies OF THE REGION OF YOUR BOX, but won't allow you to play imports.
RackGaki

Post by RackGaki »

Yeah, the region-locking on the Xbox 360 is still intact. Besides, wouldn't you prefer to support the already frugal shoot 'em up scene rather than simply steal all the games?
XERO

Post by XERO »

hmm....thought i read that one of the features of one xbox360 mod i was looking at was to be able to play import games....
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

There is a mod to convert a USA or PAL 360 to JAP but it will make your console JAP permanently. The smartest thing is to just browse ebay for somebody selling a JAP 360 for under 200 dollars.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Yeah, it's not allowed here. I'm not going to cover the modding side of things regardless.

Sticky please.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Adding this to the repair section, as requested:

Forum member Ceph reports that people living in Europe cannot get their Japanese Xbox 360 units repaired, only PAL models.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

RackGaki wrote:Yeah, the region-locking on the Xbox 360 is still intact. Besides, wouldn't you prefer to support the already frugal shoot 'em up scene rather than simply steal all the games?
I totally agree with this, please buy all 360 shmups. The only thing keeping the ports coming is sales at this point. Piracy will just reduce the chance of seeing more ports in the future (ESPgaluda II, Mushi Futari, etc.)
antron

Post by antron »

XERO only suggested this as a way to play imports, not backups and as far as I have seen on this forum the discussion of mods for the purpose of playing imports is not forbidden. but it is not practical on the 360 as it requires the removal and flashing of surface mount chips. that really is all there is to say.
dai jou bu

Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360

Post by dai jou bu »

EatenByGrues wrote:Is the backwards compatibility region-locked on the japanese 360? (i.e. can you play the american version of jet set radio future?)
If it was region-locked on the original Xbox, then it also applies to the 360. I'm not too sure if they remove this once it becomes downloadable from the Xbox Marketplace.

Good news is that Outrun Coast to Coast is backwards-compatibile AND region-free.
EatenByGrues wrote:Is it backwards compatible with Metal Wolf Chaos? (because if I purchase a japanese x-box there is definitely going to be some presidential mech action going on)
No, because Michael Wilson is the President of this Great United States of America.
Elixir wrote:- What if I download a game from the Japanese marketplace? Won't it be in Japanese?
Also be aware that you can't purchase original Xbox titles from the Japanese marketplace unless you fiddle around with your ip settings as Microsoft has "region-locked" this content along with whatever movies that aren't related to videogames that's distributed in that region.
Battlesmurf

Post by Battlesmurf »

Silly question- when was the last time someone bought a 360 arcade from Play-Asia? I am really curious as to when they'll start getting Jaspers in.
My trade/wanted list
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1135521

Twitch.tv/RedHotHero
Joe T.

Post by Joe T. »

Just to let everyone know...I jacked up my NTSC-J 360 a few weeks ago trying to wire up an arcade stick. Got RROD. I sent it to the repair center in Texas and have just gotten it back today repaired. I made sure to leave a note stating that I wanted this unit repaired and not replaced and everything worked out.

So, yes you can get your Japanese 360s repaired in the US, if there was any uncertainty there.
Davey

Post by Davey »

Battlesmurf wrote:Silly question- when was the last time someone bought a 360 arcade from Play-Asia? I am really curious as to when they'll start getting Jaspers in.
I just got mine today. How can you tell, by manufacturing date? Mine is 2008-09-08. Mine's a Pro, though, not Arcade.
pcb_revival

Post by pcb_revival »

Davey wrote:
Battlesmurf wrote:Silly question- when was the last time someone bought a 360 arcade from Play-Asia? I am really curious as to when they'll start getting Jaspers in.
I just got mine today. How can you tell, by manufacturing date? Mine is 2008-09-08. Mine's a Pro, though, not Arcade.
Jasper is somewhat offtopic.

However.

http://benheck.com/12-10-2008/inside-an-xbox-360-jasper
incognoscente

Post by incognoscente »

Thread (finally) stickied. I provided a link to it in the Board FAQ a few weeks ago but forgot to sticky it.