NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
nosorrow

Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360

Post by nosorrow »

This guide has been very helpful for me too, thanks for the hard work.

Play Asia has the Eschatos/Ginga Force Wonder Pack sitting at around $80 and the Shooting Love 10th Anniversary package at $70. I have $7 in credit over there and was wondering which of the two I should go after first? i.e. which is more likely to go up in value in the near future (I'm guessing the Wonder Pack, but I'm welcoming the more knowledgeable opinions of those who've been following the import scene closely in the last few years).

P.S. I already have all the main shooter releases on the system save those two, Shikigami No Shiro III and Caladrius (though I have no interest in the latter), so no need in suggesting SDOJ or Raiden or something. :P
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

I caved in (ha!) and bought a NTSC-J console despite owning an NTSC X360 already. My only question is: I can always use my existing NA profile to gain achievements and the like, but I won't be able to access the online features correct? Is this limited to the Xbox Live store only? What about game leaderboards?

Also, if I have my data and replays saved on a 32 GB USB hooked to the console, can I pass it between both X360 models and have everything in a single place?
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

Oniros wrote:I can always use my existing NA profile to gain achievements and the like...
Yes.
Oniros wrote:...but I won't be able to access the online features correct? Is this limited to the Xbox Live store only? What about game leaderboards?
The region of the online store you have access to depends entirely on the region of your XBL account. The console region has absolutely no effect on that. Your console's region only comes into play if you try to buy a region-locked Games on Demand game through the NA stores (it won't let you buy/download it).

Leaderboards have no restrictions. Online play also has no restrictions, unless the game's multiplayer is IP-locked (like Monster Hunter Frontier), but such games are rare.

Some DLC redemption codes can only be redeemed with accounts from specific regions. I believe codes that are merely unlock keys aren't region restricted.

Some games have DLC that is cross-region compatible, meaning you can buy DLC for it from the NA/EU stores even though the game is the Japanese version (Futari is like this). A good way to tell if a game has DLC like this or not is to insert the disc into the console, go to the Home screen, and hit X when the game's tile is highlighted. If the Extras tab loads up, then any DLC that shows up there should be compatible with that version of the game (always check the descriptions on the purchase screen to be sure).
Oniros wrote:Also, if I have my data and replays saved on a 32 GB USB hooked to the console, can I pass it between both X360 models and have everything in a single place?
Yes.
:lol:
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

It's never going to be an issue for anyone but me, but I'll mention it. Games with online play are not required to be cross region. I originally planned on never opening my US copy of Otomedius Excellent, which was all fine and dandy until I actually tried to play online with my friends. Oto X has separate leaderboards and online services for its two regions, and the DLC is not cross compatible. I think Deathsmiles is also this way. Either way, Don't assume that it'll just work because it does on one game, it's game to game sadly.
dosu

Post by dosu »

I was thinking of picking up a Japanese 360 but play-asia seems to be twice the price I can get a North American one used with a 1 year warranty here for. Thinking of getting

Japanese:
Mushihimesama Futari Version 1.5 - region free
Muchi Muchi Pork! - region free
Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi Extra (I have on the PS3)
EspGaluda II - Black Label - region free
Dodonpachi SaiDaiOuJou - region free
Bullet Soul - region free

North American:
Raiden Fighters Aces
Akai Katana

Europe:
Dodonpachi Resurrection Deluxe Edition - region free - that comes with 1.5 but not black label?

List looks ok or some errors?
I'm not a fan of deathsmiles games and I can Mushihimesama and Dodonpachi DaiOuJou on MAME and not so interested in the Japanese XBL marketplace shmups so am I really missing out paying double for an import?
d3vak

Post by d3vak »

dosu wrote:am I really missing out paying double for an import?
What about DFK? :mrgreen:

Edit: OH, I meant Ketsuipachi xD
HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN !!
dosu

Post by dosu »

d3vak wrote:
dosu wrote:am I really missing out paying double for an import?
What about DFK? :mrgreen:

Edit: OH, I meant Ketsuipachi xD
Is that Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Black Label? Or something else? guess I'll miss out on the Black Label Arrange mode?
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

dosu wrote: Europe:
Dodonpachi Resurrection Deluxe Edition - region free - that comes with 1.5 but not black label?
Dodonpachi Resurrection Deluxe Edition is not region free - it will work on a PAL/NTSC-U console but not on a NTSC-J console.

The Dodonpachi Resurrection Black Label arrangement is availlable on the european marketplace but the DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu Black Label disk release (which is also part of the double pack) also contains the KetsuiPachi arrangement (preferred by some over the Black Label arrangement).

The much pricier Japanese "Raiden Fighters Aces" tends to come with the INH Superplay DVD "The Onslaught Raiden Fighters Special Edition" - if you are into that sort of thing.

Owning a Japanese console you might a well get Instant Brain for DoDonPachi - but as you are bypassing Mushihimesama HD and DoDonPachi DaiOuJou Black Label EXTRA for MAME anyway that wouldn't be an issue for you.
dosu

Post by dosu »

HydrogLox wrote:
Dodonpachi Resurrection Deluxe Edition is not region free - it will work on a PAL/NTSC-U console but not on a NTSC-J console.

The Dodonpachi Resurrection Black Label arrangement is availlable on the european marketplace but the Do Don Pachi DaiFukkatsu Black Label disk release (which is also part of the double pack) also contains the KetsuiPachi arrangement (preferred by some over the Black Label arrangement).

The much pricier Japanese "Raiden Fighters Aces" tends to come with the INH Superplay DVD "The Onslaught Raiden Fighters Special Edition" - if you are into that sort of thing.

Oh ok thanks for clearing that up, also with a North American account is buying the European BL arrangement as easy as switching regions on my current account, buying points and buying it then switching back? Or I have to make a new account and all again? I guess I can buy Dodonpachi Resurrection on the Euro marketplace too? Maybe other games I listed are on the market also? Or they have to be bought in disk form?
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

dosu wrote:also with a North American account is buying the European BL arrangement as easy as switching regions on my current account, buying points and buying it then switching back?
You need to create a separate account on the European marketplace AND acquire currency for that marketplace (I don't know what the current restrictions on credit cards and PayPal are).

Personally I also like to use the Japanese console for Trizeal Remix on Shooting Love. 200X but that is an acquired taste.

You may also want to have a look over Why are people reluctant to import a Jap 360 for some other insights.
dosu

Post by dosu »

Alright thanks I'll check that game out and that thread.
Can Shooting Love. 200X be played on a NTSC-U console or market place games have region locks too?

Out of my list do you or anyone know what other games can be acquired on the marketplace?(Euro, US, Japan) I guess it should be cheaper buying there then the disk ones I'll order online.
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

dosu wrote:Can Shooting Love. 200X be played on a NTSC-U console or market place games have region locks too?
Shooting Love, 200X is NTSC-J region-locked. Marketplace games can be locked to the region of the console and worse "IP-locked" (i.e. can only be downloaded within the specific geographic region - unless you are using a proxy server within that geographic region).

The main issue with non-physical media is what happens to your license to your digital content when the Xbox 360 portion of Xbox Live goes dark (just like Xbox Live 1.0 went dark on April 15, 2010). Much of your digital content is tied to your main console. When your console dies you can move your discs to another console ...
dosu

Post by dosu »

HydrogLox wrote:
dosu wrote:Can Shooting Love. 200X be played on a NTSC-U console or market place games have region locks too?
Shooting Love, 200X is NTSC-J region-locked. Marketplace games can be locked to the region of the console and worse "IP-locked" (i.e. can only be downloaded within the specific geographic region - unless you are using a proxy server within that geographic region).

The main issue with non-physical media is what happens to your license to your digital content when the Xbox 360 portion of Xbox Live goes dark (just like Xbox Live 1.0 went dark on April 15, 2010). Much of your digital content is tied to your main console. When your console dies you can move your discs to another console ...

I guess I'll stick to disks then, they aren't much cheaper on the market as I could tell anyway, at least for Dodonpachi Resurrection that's $25 free shipping on play-asia
What's the difference with some platinum collections? They are like half the price of regular games.
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

dosu wrote:What's the difference with some platinum collections? They are like half the price of regular games.
Game-wise there is nothing wrong with them. Typically the same disc-master as the first regular edition print run but without any "package pack-ins" and a plainer disc-label.

For example the first run Eschatos included a soundtrack while the "Wonder Price Version" did not (might as well get the Ginga Force and Eschatos Wonder Pack though). "Cave The Best" is similar in nature. "Collectors" tend to only want first-run editions.
dosu

Post by dosu »

HydrogLox wrote:

The Dodonpachi Resurrection Black Label arrangement is availlable on the european marketplace but the DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu Black Label disk release (which is also part of the double pack) also contains the KetsuiPachi arrangement (preferred by some over the Black Label arrangement).

Oh yeah so if I buy Dodonpachi Res for my NTSC-U 360 and make a Euro account and buy Black Label from the market I can switch back to my US account and play it just fine or I'll always have to log into my secondary Euro account to play the DLC?
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

dosu wrote:Oh yeah so if I buy Dodonpachi Res for my NTSC-U 360 and make a Euro account and buy Black Label from the market I can switch back to my US account and play it just fine or I'll always have to log into my secondary Euro account to play the DLC?
As long as "your" console is the first one that you download the DLC to, any user using that console has access to the DLC without a connection to Xbox Live (XBLIG content always needs a connection to Xbox Live). However only the European account can use the DLC on any additional console, be it your own or somebody else's. The issue is that you will only be able to transfer the license from one console to another as long as the licence transfer service is operational. Currently Microsoft plans to end the Xbox 360 support lifecycle sometime in 2016 - which could essentially freeze DLC to the console that it is licensed to.

If you have no interest in the Japanese marketplace you could entertain the possibility of entering the grey area of acquiring a 2nd domestic Xbox 360 for off-line use - i.e. have it modified to access discs from any region and use NTSC-J (and PAL) discs on it. In essence you would learn now how to manage and use an Xbox 360 in the post-support era.

Try to get an "S" model. It's probably the most reliable and has the most AV options - the current "E" model has fewer USB ports and no longer has the multi-AV connector that makes VGA, component, SCART, and S-Video connections possible.

Some other Xbox 360 NTSC-J only titles:
Otomedius G
Shikigami No Shiro III
Radirgy Noa Massive
Strike Witches Shirogane no Tsubasa
Senko No Ronde Duo (Sequel to Senko No Ronde released in North America as WarTech)
Of course all of these are mentioned in the opening post of this thread.

Due to Xbox Backward Compatibility Psyvariar 2: Extend Edition can be played on an NTSC-J 360.

Any particular reason Raiden IV wasn't on your list? You may already have Raiden IV Overkill for the PS3 - but it still is just DLC (enjoy it while it lasts). The older Xbox 360 version is available on disc as an NTSC-U and NTSC-J release.
dosu

Post by dosu »

Yeah I have Overkill on the PS3
The grey area 360 you can modify just to play all region retail discs without messing around each time you pop a disc in? But of course chances to be banned as it's modified?

edit: Actually I don't think I want to bother messing with that any time soon, maybe if I pick up a banned console later on or something I'll just stick with a new NTSC-U one for now and hopefully some place still sells the S model around here(Matte one too because I'm not a big fan of shiny plastic) :)
bvzxa

Post by bvzxa »

I have two 360's. I stopped paying Microsoft to use my own internet so I had one of my 360 JTAG'd years ago.
Oniros

Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual

Post by Oniros »

Roughly after 1 hour of use, the power supply that came with my NTSC-J X360 died. The console works fine with the NA brick but still shitty.
Last edited by Oniros on Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
nosorrow

Post by nosorrow »

Are Xbox 360 component cables region free? For instance, is this compatible with a J 360?: http://www.amazon.ca/Xbox-360-Component ... nent+cable
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

nosorrow wrote:Are Xbox 360 component cables region free? For instance, is this compatible with a J 360?: http://www.amazon.ca/Xbox-360-Component ... nent+cable
Yeah the cables are universal.
stoneroses

Post by stoneroses »

Not sure if this will bring the price down for places like playasia or not:

"The Xbox 360 has never been what you’d define a massively succesful console in Japan, but Microsoft seem to be hoping to sell more, or at least to clear some inventory by announcing a price cut.
The 250 GB version of the veteran console used to cost 28,381 yen plus taxes, while the new price is 23,600 yen (roughly $199). Add taxes to the price and customers will have to pay 25,488 yen (just north of $215).
For the moment only the 250 GB version had its price cut in Japan, and there’s no hint of any local holiday price reduction for the Xbox One yet."

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/12/01/ ... -in-japan/
d3vak

Post by d3vak »

So if I have a NTSC-J X360...Can I buy and play games offered in the US Marketplace like Ikaruga or Radiant Silvergun?
HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN !!
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

d3vak wrote:So if I have a NTSC-J X360...Can I buy and play games offered in the US Marketplace like Ikaruga or Radiant Silvergun?
Yes
quash

Post by quash »

I finally purchased a JP 360 the other day. It appears to be a Jasper though I'd have to open it up to be sure. It runs pretty well; the only issue I've ran into so far is that the disc tray doesn't like to open when the console is vertically oriented.

The real kicker? It was only 5000 yen, which at the current exchange rate is ~$41. The RAP EX next to it was also 5000 yen, so the total for both was just over $80. Gotta love this country.

The stick is getting a Hori Hayabusa with Kuro buttons, adhesive steel weights and a felt bottom.
d3vak

Post by d3vak »

dieKatze88 wrote:
d3vak wrote:So if I have a NTSC-J X360...Can I buy and play games offered in the US Marketplace like Ikaruga or Radiant Silvergun?
Yes
Really? So I can buy and play Raiden Fighters Aces and avoid to purchase the ridiculously expensive retail disc from Japan?

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Produ ... 02564707d3
HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN !!
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

d3vak wrote:So I can buy and play Raiden Fighters Aces and avoid to purchase the ridiculously expensive retail disc from Japan?

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Produ ... 02564707d3
Only XBLA games, not the Game On Demand titles, sadly.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
d3vak

Post by d3vak »

emphatic wrote:Only XBLA games, not the Game On Demand titles, sadly.
Crap, I was getting all excited... Anyway, How can you tell a game is from GOD and not from XBLA? I'm sorry I'm a newbie at this.

Edit: I see that (in the website) titles such as Ikaruga or Radiant Silvergun have some text on the top of the game cover which says "Arcade" whereas Raiden Fighters Aces doesn't have that. Does that have anything to do with the issue?
HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN !!
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Yes, Arcade is for XBox Live Arcade (XBLA).
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
antares

Post by antares »

So, after all these years is there still no homepage in existence where you can see which games are region free? I know Playasia has a region compatibility guide for some games but by far not for all.

At the moment I'm trying to find out if Alien Isolation is region free? I own a jp console and want to buy the Pal version of the game. Can anyone help me?
WTB: Arkanoid II Revenge Of Doh PCB, Outzone PCB, Fixeight PCB