NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Shelcoof

Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual

Post by Shelcoof »

Cuilan wrote:brand1bil,

If you haven't bought a Japanese 360 yet, you might want to consider an Asian 360 instead. It might be cheaper than a Japanese console, it has the exact same region coding, and it already includes a 220v PSU.

The Otomedius game released in North America was Otomedius Excellent, which is garbage. However, the previous game Otomedius Gorgeous can only be played on Japanese 360 consoles. Gorgeous includes the original arcade version of Otomedius, which is very good and worth playing.

Senko no Ronde DUO is one of the best reasons to own a Japanese 360. If anyone wants to play some PvP, please let me know.

Raiden Fighters Aces goes for very different prices depending on the version. The North American version may be dirt-cheap, but the Japanese version goes for ~$100, and both versions are region locked. Something to consider when buying a Japanese 360.

I would have thought have thought the sequel would have been the better game for Otomedius..... I'll have to check that out sometime..... but judging from the videos though it looks exactly the same

Senko is great I just got it in the mail but I'm not paying for live lol
I recently picked up Virtual On Force as well :)

For 100$ you can find an NA Xbox 360 and Raiden Fighters Aces
So the only reason why the JP version of Raiden Fighters Aces goes for that much is because of its limited availability?
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

Shelcoof wrote:So the only reason why the JP version of Raiden Fighters Aces goes for that much is because of its limited availability?
Partially but also because the "complete in box" item comes with the updated version of NIH super play DVD from "The Onslaught Raiden Fighters" - "The Onslaught Raiden Fighters Special Edition". The problem is that some of the listings aren't explicit on whether the DVD is included or not but all of them are in the same neighbourhood price-wise - the DVD was reportedly limited to "pre-orders" but it may have actually be limited to the first print run and there may have been only one print run, in which case all copies should have it.

Remember there was supposedly an initial surge (in Japan's retail stores) of "used" PS3 Ketsui copies shortly after the game's release because lots of the limited editions were bought just for the separately packaged super play Blu-ray/sound tracks - apparently there were a number of buyers who split the package and immediately turned around to "ditch" the game package. To some people some of these super play discs are a bigger deal than the actual game.
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

Shelcoof wrote:I would have thought have thought the sequel would have been the better game for Otomedius..... I'll have to check that out sometime..... but judging from the videos though it looks exactly the same
If that's the impression you have, then it's very likely that you were watching videos of Gorgeous mode and not Original (Arcade) mode.

Here's a video of someone who knows what they're doing playing Original mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbQ0lDEsc5w
:lol:
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

HydrogLox wrote: Partially but also because the "complete in box" item comes with the updated version of NIH super play DVD from "The Onslaught Raiden Fighters" - "The Onslaught Raiden Fighters Special Edition". The problem is that some of the listings aren't explicit on whether the DVD is included or not but all of them are in the same neighbourhood price-wise - the DVD was reportedly limited to "pre-orders" but it may have actually be limited to the first print run and there may have been only one print run, in which case all copies should have it.

Remember there was supposedly an initial surge (in Japan's retail stores) of "used" PS3 Ketsui copies shortly after the game's release because lots of the limited editions were bought just for the separately packaged super play Blu-ray/sound tracks - apparently there were a number of buyers who split the package and immediately turned around to "ditch" the game package. To some people some of these super play discs are a bigger deal than the actual game.
Wow didn't know these soundtracks and Super Plays were that highly desired.
I would have thought they would be valued more paired with the game.

I still have both Xbox 360 and PS3 LE copies of Ketsui :D

Cuilan wrote:
If that's the impression you have, then it's very likely that you were watching videos of Gorgeous mode and not Original (Arcade) mode.

Here's a video of someone who knows what they're doing playing Original mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbQ0lDEsc5w
thanks for the link I'll take a look at it :)
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

Shelcoof wrote:Wow didn't know these soundtracks and Super Plays were that highly desired.
I would have thought they would be valued more paired with the game.

I still have both Xbox 360 and PS3 LE copies of Ketsui :D
On the flip-side I remember catching some ebay listing (ncsxshop) of the "Dodonpachi Dai-Ou-Jou/Ketsui OST" that is part of the Xbox 360 LE. I don't know what is going on there - either they cannibalized some of their LE stock because they didn't have enough regular editions or there is potentially more money to be made by selling both parts separately. (Right now they are selling the Xbox 360 LE for the price of the regular edition - USD 89.90 - it probably means that they only have LEs left.)
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Sooo.... just finished watching Otomedius Gorgeous arcade mode Cuilan posted and wow.... it sure looks like previous Parodius/Gradius games.

I'm thinking of picking it up now if its not too expensive :D

Edit: Does anyone know if there are any difference between the regular and Platinum releases?
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

Shelcoof wrote:Sooo.... just finished watching Otomedius Gorgeous arcade mode Cuilan posted and wow.... it sure looks like previous Parodius/Gradius games.

Edit: Does anyone know if there are any difference between the regular and Platinum releases?
There is no meaningful difference. The original release came with a DLC card for an alternate outfit for one of the characters.
:lol:
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

Cuilan wrote:
Shelcoof wrote:Sooo.... just finished watching Otomedius Gorgeous arcade mode Cuilan posted and wow.... it sure looks like previous Parodius/Gradius games.

There is no meaningful difference. The original release came with a DLC card for an alternate outfit for one of the characters.
I own both, Platinum as Digital Download, there's no difference between the two, and DLC is cross compatible. The Anoa school girl outfit was exclusive to the physical release for a while but has since become available and does nothing.

If you plan on playing online (not that I think anyone still does) you should probably pick up the DLC Stage, Esmeralda and Poini Coon, as they were almost universally used the last time I was playing online.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

I don't even have Xbox Live anymore and I'm not planning on getting it anytime soon.

Appreciate the info guys :)

Post by 3703 »

What I love about the Japanese 360 is the unlikelihood of it being the go-to shmup machine of that generation. Makes it feel decidedly underground, fun system to own.
bvzxa

Post by bvzxa »

Find a JTAG 360. I bought many shumps from Play-Asia. I can just straight dump my game to the 360 Hard drive and Im done.
themachinist

Post by themachinist »

So is the JPN X360 still the go-to console for highest volume of quality shmups these days? Been out of the shmup playing habit for... a while.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

themachinist wrote:So is the JPN X360 still the go-to console for highest volume of quality shmups these days?
Yes if you can't live without owning all Cave ports and the Raiden Fighters compilation maybe.
Otherwise Steam has become a great, more affordable alternative.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Makoto_Nanaya

Post by Makoto_Nanaya »

Hello, I'm posting to ask for clarification about how patches work with a Japanese 360.

I have owned my J-360 for 3 years. It is a slim with 4GB of internal storage. I have installed most of my games on two 360-formatted USBs. I have installed a few of my games on the 4GB internal hard drive.

Recently I have purchased and installed a 500GB internal hard drive. I have deleted all of the information on my two USBs and am re-installing everything to the 500 GB hard drive. Please note I easily transferred all of my downloaded games (from XBox Llive) from the USBs to the 500 GB hard drive, but I could not transfer any disc-based games (thus my need to reinstall them on the new 500 GB hard drive).

Once I reinstall a disc-based game on the 500 GB hard drive, do I need to also download the patches again?

For example, this morning I reinstalled Dodonpachi Daioujou Extra Black Label on my 500 GB hard drive. When I went to play it again for the first time, I was not prompted to redownload the patch. Is this because the patch was saved elsewhere-like the 4 GB internal storage? I see a folder in the 4 GB internal storage called "System Items," so perhaps this is where the download is saved?

I'm assuming the download is saved somewhere since the system did not prompt me to redownload it even though I was connected to XBox Live at the time. Also, the DDP title screen identifies is as Ver. 1.78 and X-Mode is already unlocked (a feature I believe unique to the patch).

Can anyone please confirm where patches are saved? For some games it may not be as important, but for a game like DDP Daioujou it is essential.

Thank you.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

Makoto_Nanaya wrote:Hello, I'm posting to ask for clarification about how patches work with a Japanese 360.

I have owned my J-360 for 3 years. It is a slim with 4GB of internal storage. I have installed most of my games on two 360-formatted USBs. I have installed a few of my games on the 4GB internal hard drive.

Recently I have purchased and installed a 500GB internal hard drive. I have deleted all of the information on my two USBs and am re-installing everything to the 500 GB hard drive. Please note I easily transferred all of my downloaded games (from XBox Llive) from the USBs to the 500 GB hard drive, but I could not transfer any disc-based games (thus my need to reinstall them on the new 500 GB hard drive).

Once I reinstall a disc-based game on the 500 GB hard drive, do I need to also download the patches again?

For example, this morning I reinstalled Dodonpachi Daioujou Extra Black Label on my 500 GB hard drive. When I went to play it again for the first time, I was not prompted to redownload the patch. Is this because the patch was saved elsewhere-like the 4 GB internal storage? I see a folder in the 4 GB internal storage called "System Items," so perhaps this is where the download is saved?

I'm assuming the download is saved somewhere since the system did not prompt me to redownload it even though I was connected to XBox Live at the time. Also, the DDP title screen identifies is as Ver. 1.78 and X-Mode is already unlocked (a feature I believe unique to the patch).

Can anyone please confirm where patches are saved? For some games it may not be as important, but for a game like DDP Daioujou it is essential.

Thank you.
If you unplug your USBs and try to launch the game while connected to Xbox Live, you'll know immediately if you need to repatch. I *THINK* I had to repatch when I did this a million years ago, but it's been forever.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Up to a certain point, all patches were limited to something like 3mb per game and were stored together in a section of system storage sectioned off for that purpose. There is a limit to the number of patches that can be stored, so when it runs out of room, older patches are deleted to make room for new patches.

There is no way to know if a given patch has been rotated out or not other than just launching the game and seeing if Xbox Live wants to update it.

This changed a bit when the ability to create larger patches came about; patches larger than 3mb are stored separately from the reserved patch storage and are visible in the same location you can see the game and save data. This only changed things for large patches; I believe older patches, or patches that didn't need the expanded storage, still use the shared storage.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

StarCreator wrote:Up to a certain point, all patches were limited to something like 3mb per game and were stored together in a section of system storage sectioned off for that purpose. There is a limit to the number of patches that can be stored, so when it runs out of room, older patches are deleted to make room for new patches.

There is no way to know if a given patch has been rotated out or not other than just launching the game and seeing if Xbox Live wants to update it.

This changed a bit when the ability to create larger patches came about; patches larger than 3mb are stored separately from the reserved patch storage and are visible in the same location you can see the game and save data. This only changed things for large patches; I believe older patches, or patches that didn't need the expanded storage, still use the shared storage.
This, and Otomedius G's content upgrade predates this so if you buy it and shove it in and wonder "Why the fuck is there a bunch of runes and then dashboard" Go download the free 670 meg patch.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I just had to wait a fucking month to sign back in to my Japanese 360 account, because Microsoft decided signing in was suddenly a security issue and locked the account down, and the recovery eMail was an old one I no longer had access to (I made the account in 2008, lol)

The automated account recovery process was useless, I tried it multiple times and it just kept rejecting me, claiming I didn't supply enough information.

So I had to use their "Change recovery options" page to change the recovery eMail, which took an entire month to take effect .. finally this morning it told me it took effect, and I was able to recover my account.

Keep those recovery eMails up to date .. because Microsoft is locking down accounts for "Suspicious acticity" now. And you may need it.
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

Hey guys,

I can confirm the following Games on Demand titles are not IP address locked:

-Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets (Japan store)
-Dodonpachi Saidaioujou (Japan store)

Can anyone else provide confirmation about any other titles being IP locked?
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

jepjepjep wrote:Hey guys,

I can confirm the following Games on Demand titles are not IP address locked:

-Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets (Japan store)
-Dodonpachi Saidaioujou (Japan store)

Can anyone else provide confirmation about any other titles being IP locked?
I believe they stopped with the IP Locking. I was able to fully download Otomedius G back in 2010.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Can someone advice on how to save patches for games locally so I can say, play DOJ-BL EX patched even when XBox Live ends? Like, on an USB drive?
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

It's been a while since I've bought JPN Microsoft points and am in the mood for some of the shooters they have on the marketplace.

Where is the best place to buy from, tried Ebay but couldn't find any, Play Asia have f*** all as usual..Any help appreciated
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

garrz32 wrote:It's been a while since I've bought JPN Microsoft points and am in the mood for some of the shooters they have on the marketplace.

Where is the best place to buy from, tried Ebay but couldn't find any, Play Asia have f*** all as usual..Any help appreciated
Before, I used Japan-Codes, and it worked fpr me.

https://www.japan-codes.com/product-cat ... ard-japan/

Your mileage may vary though.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

NeoStrayCat wrote:
garrz32 wrote:It's been a while since I've bought JPN Microsoft points and am in the mood for some of the shooters they have on the marketplace.

Before, I used Japan-Codes, and it worked fpr me.

https://www.japan-codes.com/product-cat ... ard-japan/

Your mileage may vary though.
Cheers Neo, yeah seen them on my google search. Am now sorted thanks to a forum member. Thanks anyway :)
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

emphatic wrote:Can someone advice on how to save patches for games locally so I can say, play DOJ-BL EX patched even when XBox Live ends? Like, on an USB drive?
Hopefully someone can answer this, even if it's just to point folks in a direction where it's documented. I am thinking that the answer is probably down the modded system rabbit hole, but it'd be good to know for sure. I wouldn't mind picking up a cheap domestic console to mod for this purpose. I figure I need a backup solution since NTSC-J 360's got expensive before I snagged an extra.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

brentsg wrote:
emphatic wrote:Can someone advice on how to save patches for games locally so I can say, play DOJ-BL EX patched even when XBox Live ends? Like, on an USB drive?
Hopefully someone can answer this, even if it's just to point folks in a direction where it's documented. I am thinking that the answer is probably down the modded system rabbit hole, but it'd be good to know for sure. I wouldn't mind picking up a cheap domestic console to mod for this purpose. I figure I need a backup solution since NTSC-J 360's got expensive before I snagged an extra.
You need to connect your hard drive to your PC and use one of the few applications out there to read the FATX file system. I use USBXtaf.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H ... UTF8&psc=1

This adapter seems to work for me, I suppose you can also use your on-board SATA connections.

You can pull the TUs from the cache folder and back them up on your PC, unfortunately I don't think there's an easy way to tell them apart until you transfer them all and take a look at them with 360 Content Manager.

I don't think any of these TUs are signed to the console, so you should be able to backup/restore them as you please, or even download them from other sources.

Also, if you have a phat 360, you'll either need to open the drive caddy, or find a SATA adapter. I believe the slim consoles have a hard drive inserted directly.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Thanks a lot djc5166!
djc5166 wrote:TUs
The what?
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

Xyga wrote:Thanks a lot djc5166!
djc5166 wrote:TUs
The what?
Title Updates
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

I'm trying to start Mushihimesama 1.5 that I've never had any issues with before, but now my console tells me it needs to download it again, but I get the error code 800700E8 that translates to "XBOX Service error". XBOX.com's error code page suggests that I clear the system cache. My network connection is fine and I get all green checkmarks.

I have two accounts on my console, one is Swedish that I used for buying stuff from the European marketplace and one is Japanese that I've used for downloading Japanese content. However, I've had issues signing into the Japanese account. Is this why I get this error? Please advice.

Edit: Turns out that it was my two-step authentication that didn't allow me to access XBOX Live and I couldn't download the 1.5 content. All fixed now.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

Hello everyone, I need help troubleshooting a Japanese Jasper 512 MB console I got off eBay last week. Initially, I was only using the internal storage (no HDD), HDMI cable, USA Falcon power brick, and 2.4 GHz wifi adapter.

The console updated when I signed into Live, but both before and after the update it has been super slow running. From power on to Xbox 360 logo takes about 45 seconds, then after that a minute of a gray screen until the dashboard loads. If I'm in a game and go back to the dashboard, it's another minute-plus of black screen loading before the dashboard pops up.

I have reformatted the internal storage, tried clearing cache multiple times, run "Initial Setup," disabled profile auto sign-in, deleted profiles, unplugged wifi adapter, etc.; nothing seems to help it boot/run faster. I have an OEM Pro 60 GB HDD that I've also transferred the internal data to, but the 360 is still slow even after the transfer (no longer running on the internal storage; 450/451 MB are now free).

I have a USA Falcon that runs circles around this JP Jasper (20 seconds to boot up), so I don't believe it could be anything to do with my setup. The same 2.4 GHz adapter and Xbox profiles don't slow down my Falcon console; neither do the same HDMI cable and power brick.

Does anybody have any troubleshooting recommendations? Is it possible for a Falcon power brick to slow down a Jasper console? Or do you suppose this console is slowly RRODing? I might try to exchange with the eBay seller if I can't get it to run faster.