NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dlc28

Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360

Post by dlc28 »

Hi Guys

I've been looking through the forums for a while but this is my first post here.

Im going to Hong Kong in 4 weeks and plan to buy myself an asian Xbox 360 whilst I'm over there.

I was wondering what the price is for a 250gb model without kinect would be and are the readily available in most stores? Where would the best place to buy one be?

After Hong Kong I'm making my way into mainland China. Bearing in mind the stance the Chinese Goverment take on videogames would it be a problem me bringing an xbox into the country, or would I be better off posting it back to the UK from Hong Kong?

Thanks in advance for any help guys.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Is there a way to add points to my jp account using paypal, or is buying them from play-asia the best option?

EDIT: nevermind, the play-asia method was easier than I thought.
bcass

Post by bcass »

You can't use paypal on Japanese Live accounts yet.
analog dog

Post by analog dog »

Hello just a quick question please. :D

I have a particularly beaten up J-TAG 360 which replaced my original JPN launch machine. I recently borrowed a copy of Akai Katana Shin from a friend of mine (I'm skint at the moment!!) when I put the disc in I received a prompt instructing me to update the machine in order to play the game, I tried this, but the update failed leaving me unable to play. Remembering that I had a unopened copy of PINK SWEETS/MUCHI I tried that and it too prompted for the update which this time was successful. My question is have all JPN discs started coming bundled with these updates and does anyone know if there is different versions? I surprised that the Pink Sweets worked and Katana Shin didn't.

Any info will be appreciated, many thanks.
bcass

Post by bcass »

All game discs from all regions contain the latest firmware updates for those people who play offline.
analog dog

Post by analog dog »

Ahh right so they've forced something into the new update that locks out JTAG?

Thanks for the reply but it's still a little unclear :oops:
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

analog dog wrote:Ahh right so they've forced something into the new update that locks out JTAG?

Thanks for the reply but it's still a little unclear :oops:
The updater will not run on a jtag-ed box. Not that we should even be talking about this because we're essentially talking about piracy.
analog dog

Post by analog dog »

Yea I know we are essentially talking about piracy but I can assure you, I have the JTAG for import purposes only. All my discs are originals. :D What I'm trying to ascertain is when these updates began blocking the JTAG hack because all my other discs work fine. Thanks for the info though!
dlc28

Post by dlc28 »

dlc28 wrote:Hi Guys

I've been looking through the forums for a while but this is my first post here.

Im going to Hong Kong in 4 weeks and plan to buy myself an asian Xbox 360 whilst I'm over there.

I was wondering what the price is for a 250gb model without kinect would be and are the readily available in most stores? Where would the best place to buy one be?

After Hong Kong I'm making my way into mainland China. Bearing in mind the stance the Chinese Goverment take on videogames would it be a problem me bringing an xbox into the country, or would I be better off posting it back to the UK from Hong Kong?

Thanks in advance for any help guys.
i leave for Hong Hong a week today and was wondering if any one has any useful info with regards to getting an asain xbox in Hong Kong, availability, prices etc etc.

I was also wondering if Jap shmups are available inHong Kong as asian region games?

Again thank you in advance for any helpful advice.
autopilot

Post by autopilot »

I will be traveling to Korea soon and was considering buying an xbox 360 there. Does anyone know if they are widely available there and if it would have the same region settings as Japanese x360?

I am mainly interested in playing the Cave titles which are Japan-only or have no region protection. Also, I don't plan to use it online.

thanks for any help.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

A 360 obtained in Korea should be identical to a 360 obtained in any Asian country besides Japan (and the differences between an Asian and Japanese 360 beyond the language of the manual and the input voltage accepted by the power brick are very minor, if any). You'll be able to play all Japanese and Asian retail releases and most US releases on it.

Though, why would you keep it offline? Taking the 360 online is worthwhile just to be able to download game patches and extra content, even if you never actually use it for multiplayer.
autopilot

Post by autopilot »

Thanks for the answer!

I guess I'm a little paranoid that going online could get it blocked or something if I'm using it in the wrong country. It's a big investment and I want to be able to keep using it.
nZero

Post by nZero »

autopilot wrote:I guess I'm a little paranoid that going online could get it blocked or something if I'm using it in the wrong country. It's a big investment and I want to be able to keep using it.
No worries about that, lots of us using JPN/KOR/Asian 360s in the US and Europe and vice versa, with every possible region of XBL account. Might as well take it online and enjoy the patches, DLC and leaderboards :)
autopilot

Post by autopilot »

감사함니다 ! (thank you)
power UP

Post by power UP »

How do the 360 ports look on a SDTV?
bcass

Post by bcass »

Via RGB scart, excellent.
power UP

Post by power UP »

Sweet.
AntaresZwei

Post by AntaresZwei »

Well my 360 (Japan 250GB Slim model) is about to get stuck at Customs, and I'm now required to fill out an FCC 740 form. I tried getting through it, but a lot of the information I could not find anywhere. Could anyone provide any help?

The main info I need is the exact Device Model/Type Name or #, its Trade name ( is it Video Game System?), and its FCC ID (which for what I'm aware of, can only be found on the console itself, which I can't get unless I fill out this damn form). Would anyone care to help, please?
fagin

Post by fagin »

bcass wrote:Via RGB scart, excellent.
Hardly excellent..... unless you think interlaced line flicker is excellent. ;)
bcass

Post by bcass »

I've been playing arcade machines since the mid 80s and I can say that playing the 360 ports via RGB scart on my CRT looks excellent compared to playing on an actual cab.
fagin

Post by fagin »

bcass wrote:I've been playing arcade machines since the mid 80s and I can say that playing the 360 ports via RGB scart on my CRT looks excellent compared to playing on an actual cab.
All you're doing is comparing a crap CRT with one that isn't so crap. That has nothing to do with the signal format, which is the issue using SCART on it's own for a CAVE port.

Try it on a CRT screen (whether it's a cab or not is irrelevant) that is actually decent... 480i vs 240p on a CAVE port.

480i output of a game that was designed for 240p looks crap in comparison. I'm sorry, but it doesn't look excellent.

Now... use an EXTRON RGB (or Emotia) between the XBOX360 and your CRT. That looks "excellent" being in pseudo 240p mode as the game was originally intended for.

Granted.... 480i looks OK, but does in no way shape or form compare to 240p for these CAVE ports.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Nothing wrong with my picture here. Might not be quite as sharp as a good arcade monitor, but it's pretty close. I can assure you that in over 25 years of playing on various cabs around the country, I've seen the full range of quality monitors. It's a pretty moot point now anyway given how most of Cave's own ports have HD modes. I love low res but the HD modes look far superior IMO.
jammiejay85

Post by jammiejay85 »

Hi I have just received my japanese 360 which I am happy about but i have had trouble with the 2 pin connection into the mains as soon as i turned it on it made a popping sound and now i can't use the power supply i don't know wether this is to do with the voltage or something else. Please can anyone help i was confident and looking forward to playing now i don't know what to do ? I hope this makes sense I am from the UK. Really worried now :(
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

jammiejay85 wrote:Hi I have just received my japanese 360 which I am happy about but i have had trouble with the 2 pin connection into the mains as soon as i turned it on it made a popping sound and now i can't use the power supply i don't know wether this is to do with the voltage or something else. Please can anyone help i was confident and looking forward to playing now i don't know what to do ? I hope this makes sense I am from the UK. Really worried now :(
Please tell me the popping sound was from your relay and not from your actual console.

You can't use a 110v power supply in a 220-240v area. Simply using a $2 plug adapter isn't going to work. If you really can't swap the power supply to your local region, you're going to need a step-down transformer.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
bcass

Post by bcass »

I think it would be cheaper to buy a UK power supply. With luck, you've just blown the fuse in the Japanese PSU and not the actual console.
jammiejay85

Post by jammiejay85 »

Thanks Elixir, well I was setting it up with my dad and he was sure it was the transformer because we could smell like a burning afterwards. Can we use the power supply from my PAL 360 or is this not advised. I think you hit the nail on the head because we just used a basic adaptor also can you use a visitor to UK travel adaptor if you know what this is apparently it converts European, American, Asian plugs UK electrical systems ??? If not should I just buy a step-down converter. I feel so stupid for not asking more questions about my new 360 now. Much appreciated :|
jammiejay85

Post by jammiejay85 »

bcass wrote:I think it would be cheaper to buy a UK power supply. With luck, you've just blown the fuse in the Japanese PSU and not the actual console.
Cheers i think that could be the solution i'm really not that great with this stuff. I'll keep you guys informed and see if we can resolve the problem.
fagin

Post by fagin »

jammiejay85 wrote:Thanks Elixir, well I was setting it up with my dad and he was sure it was the transformer because we could smell like a burning afterwards. Can we use the power supply from my PAL 360 or is this not advised. I think you hit the nail on the head because we just used a basic adaptor also can you use a visitor to UK travel adaptor if you know what this is apparently it converts European, American, Asian plugs UK electrical systems ??? If not should I just buy a step-down converter. I feel so stupid for not asking more questions about my new 360 now. Much appreciated :|
I very much doubt your 360 is blown. Your PSU will be goosed though.

Assuming the rating and connector of your UK PSU is the same as needed for the JAP model, that will work.
fagin

Post by fagin »

Just to add..... a minimum of 175w stepdown would be required for a JAP model. 200w would be the purchase in reality and they are about £30 off eBay.
jammiejay85

Post by jammiejay85 »

Yeah the power supply is completely knackered my dad's mate had a look at it. He recommended a 240v to 110v step down transformer 4 amps but I have been looking for different one's thanks alot. So if I get a UK PSU with a step down converter I should be good to go? or will I need a Japanese one sorry i'm full of questions now.