NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Makoto_Nanaya

Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360

Post by Makoto_Nanaya »

Cuilan wrote:Whenever you boot up a game that has a patch available, the system disconnects you from Live while the patch is being downloaded, and then reconnects you automatically once the patch has been downloaded and applied. A progress bar should be visible as the patch downloads. Most patches are indeed stored in the cache, though some of the larger patches do appear (and function) as game content files.
Ah, thank you. Based on this, it sounds like I may have correctly downloaded the patches. I did see a progress bar moving its way toward completion. During the Eschatos download it reset my system after downloading, and during the Dodonpachi Resurrection ver 1.5 download it did not.

As a correction to my earlier post, the version of Dodonpachi Resurrection ver 1.5 is listed on the title screen as "version 1.21." The "version" listed on the title screen of Espgaluda II is 1.03. Is there a comprehensive listing of various shmup "versions" after title updates/patches? Or a listing of all title updates/patches released for various shmups in the Xbox 360 era? It would be helpful to know what changes the updates have made to the gameplay.

Thanks again for your time, and I'm sorry once again if this info has already been posted elsewhere.
Bonus!

Post by Bonus! »

Makoto_Nanaya wrote:Ah, thank you. Based on this, it sounds like I may have correctly downloaded the patches. I did see a progress bar moving its way toward completion. During the Eschatos download it reset my system after downloading, and during the Dodonpachi Resurrection ver 1.5 download it did not.
This depends on the patch. Sometimes, the system resets, other times it doesn't. Maybe it's a throwback to the glory that was Windows 95 with its constant restarts. :P
Spyke

Post by Spyke »

Not sure if this has been covered....

I own a PAL 360 and use the wifi adapter to access my wifi in the house, for downloads and Live access.
If I buy a Japanese console, does it need to have its own wifi adapter or can I swap my current one back and forth between consoles depending on which one I'm using and which account I'm playing on?

Ta.

Ant
Jp-chipped PS1 - PAL PS1 - PAL PS2 - Jp PS2 - Jp Saturn - PAL Xbox 360 - Jp Xbox 360 - Jp MD - PAL DC - Region-free DC - PS4 - PS3 Slim - PS TV - OSSC - Pi-3
Handhelds: 3DS-XL - DS-Lite - DSi XL - PSP 3003 - PS Vita
I want to eject...
alpachinko

Post by alpachinko »

Spyke wrote:Not sure if this has been covered....

I own a PAL 360 and use the wifi adapter to access my wifi in the house, for downloads and Live access.
If I buy a Japanese console, does it need to have its own wifi adapter or can I swap my current one back and forth between consoles depending on which one I'm using and which account I'm playing on?

Ta.

Ant
You can use any hardware as it's not region locked.
Bonus!

Post by Bonus! »

The later hardware revisions of the Xbox 360 have wifi built in, so you won't need the adapter anymore.
Spyke

Post by Spyke »

The model I'm getting is a 2008 model... It "looks" like my PAL Jasper mobo model which uses the plug-in adapter so I'm assuming it would need one the same. Built-in would be so handy!

Ant
Jp-chipped PS1 - PAL PS1 - PAL PS2 - Jp PS2 - Jp Saturn - PAL Xbox 360 - Jp Xbox 360 - Jp MD - PAL DC - Region-free DC - PS4 - PS3 Slim - PS TV - OSSC - Pi-3
Handhelds: 3DS-XL - DS-Lite - DSi XL - PSP 3003 - PS Vita
I want to eject...
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

This is a great guide and really useful. Bought a 4GB Jp 360 last year based on the info within this guide and not looked back! A lot of PAL games will work on the system too, but unfortunately not the Rising Star EU Cave releases :(

I'd highly recommend getting a Jpn 360 to any one considering it!
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I just ordered a JP Xbox 360 slim.

Will a US hard drive work with it? I'm pretty sure it will, because I have an older JP Xbox 360 that I use a US hard drive with.

Just making sure.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I just ordered a JP Xbox 360 slim.

Will a US hard drive work with it? I'm pretty sure it will, because I have an older JP Xbox 360 that I use a US hard drive with.

Just making sure.
Hell yes it will. I did this because I'm a cheap bastard too.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

That's the kind of response I wanted!
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

evil_ash_xero wrote:That's the kind of response I wanted!
Those hard disks are made of unicorn horn. I bought one on sale for like 65 dollars when they were a hundred bucks and slid it into my J360 and haven't been happier with that console.
rCadeGaming

Post by rCadeGaming »

Thanks to Elixir for creating this thread. It has been very useful, and I picked up a Japanese slim 4GB model recently. :D

I think the game list in the first post could use some updates though. DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu Double Pack Ver 1.5 & Black Label could be added. Bullet Soul Infinite Burst could be added too, although it doesn't come out until next month. It could also be useful to denote which games were also released in North America or Europe.

Those are just things I found while researching that list. Anyone else have some good recommendations that aren't listed?
BlackCoati

Post by BlackCoati »

http://www.play-asia.com/xbox-360-conso ... -71bl.html

http://www.play-asia.com/xbox-360-conso ... -71bf.html

Any meaningful differences I am missing between these besides the price? Also any reason not to get an Xbox 360 E? I know Nintendo stripped out basically everything with that last Wii release. Did not notice Microsoft pulling anything out, but did not want to assume.
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

BlackCoati wrote:http://www.play-asia.com/xbox-360-conso ... -71bl.html

http://www.play-asia.com/xbox-360-conso ... -71bf.html

Any meaningful differences I am missing between these besides the price? Also any reason not to get an Xbox 360 E? I know Nintendo stripped out basically everything with that last Wii release. Did not notice Microsoft pulling anything out, but did not want to assume.
For whatever reason, the cheaper one includes two games.

This one is even cheaper, but doesn't include those two games or a HDD, and it would also require a step-down converter (or a NA/JP PSU) depending on where you live. But it plays all JP 360 games:

http://www.play-asia.com/xbox-360-arcad ... -41pe.html

As for the 360 E, it's missing optical audio out and does not support the 360 AV multi-cable (VGA, component, s-video, SCART). It only has composite+stereo and HDMI. If those things are important to you, get a 360 S instead.
:lol:
jessiewonka

Post by jessiewonka »

Tarma wrote:This is a great guide and really useful. Bought a 4GB Jp 360 last year based on the info within this guide and not looked back! A lot of PAL games will work on the system too, but unfortunately not the Rising Star EU Cave releases :(

I'd highly recommend getting a Jpn 360 to any one considering it!
Can you share more of your experiences buying a Japanese Xbox? I'm considering it now over a US version, but the current prices on eBay are disappointingly high.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

I'm looking for the install sizes of Caladrius, Shooting Love 10th Anniversary, Ginga Force & Eschatos Wonder Pack and Game Center Love, if anyone can help with these. You will be credited, of course.

Edit: vvvv Thanks, I've added them in. Still looking for the other games though.
Last edited by Elixir on Sun May 25, 2014 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
nZero

Post by nZero »

Elixir wrote:I'm looking for the install sizes of Caladrius, Shooting Love 10th Anniversary, Ginga Force & Eschatos Wonder Pack and Game Center Love, if anyone can help with these. You will be credited, of course.
As reported by the X360 system menu, 802MB install size for Caladrius and 201MB install size for シューティングラブ。 10周年
d3vak

Post by d3vak »

Just wanted to thank you, Elixir and all the collaborators for making this thread!
:D
HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN !!
DEL

Post by DEL »

So my Xbox Disconnected from Xbox Live during a perfectly decent run. Not the first time :|
Is it something to do with peak usage hours?
Is there any way I can avoid the disconnection problem?
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

DEL wrote:So my Xbox Disconnected from Xbox Live during a perfectly decent run. Not the first time :|
Is it something to do with peak usage hours?
Is there any way I can avoid the disconnection problem?
Not really much you can do but get a more stable internet connection.

This is basically the reason I stopped doing Otomedius X runs. That game takes ages.
ozzie_owl

Post by ozzie_owl »

Apologies if the answer to my question is on one of the previous 32 pages.

I've got a PAL Xbox 360 and a UK Gold Xbox Live account. I have recently purchased an old NTSC-J Xbox 360, I can log in to my Xbox Live account on this console and play my Jap region locked games and the achievements get added to my Gamer profile.

My question is, I've been playing Deathsmiles on the NTSC-J and wanted to purchase the DL content. How can I do this? When I go to the Marketplace I just see the PAL releases.

Hope the above makes sense. :?:
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

ozzie_owl wrote:My question is, I've been playing Deathsmiles on the NTSC-J and wanted to purchase the DL content. How can I do this? When I go to the Marketplace I just see the PAL releases.

You'd need to create a JP XBL account and use JP XBL credit to buy the DLC from the JP marketplace.
ozzie_owl

Post by ozzie_owl »

Cuilan wrote:
ozzie_owl wrote:My question is, I've been playing Deathsmiles on the NTSC-J and wanted to purchase the DL content. How can I do this? When I go to the Marketplace I just see the PAL releases.

You'd need to create a JP XBL account and use JP XBL credit to buy the DLC from the JP marketplace.
I did think that would be the case. That would be an whole new account so the achievements I get wouldn't add to my existing account. :(
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

ozzie_owl wrote:I did think that would be the case. That would be an whole new account so the achievements I get wouldn't add to my existing account. :(
Once you buy the DLC, all other accounts on that 360 can also use it. So you can switch back to your regular account and continue playing the game with DLC enabled, allowing you to earn achievements.
ozzie_owl

Post by ozzie_owl »

Cuilan wrote:
ozzie_owl wrote:I did think that would be the case. That would be an whole new account so the achievements I get wouldn't add to my existing account. :(
Once you buy the DLC, all other accounts on that 360 can also use it. So you can switch back to your regular account and continue playing the game with DLC enabled, allowing you to earn achievements.
Cool, never thought of that, cheers. 8)
DEL

Post by DEL »

dieKatze88 wrote:

This is basically the reason I stopped doing Otomedius X runs. That game takes ages.
Aah so its down to my wireless XBox360 modem and not peak usage hours disconnecting me?
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

DEL wrote:dieKatze88 wrote:

Aah so its down to my wireless XBox360 modem and not peak usage hours disconnecting me?
Thats the smart money.
themachinist

Post by themachinist »

OK haven't been here for a while... I'm guessing ntsj x360 is -the- shmupping console to own?
d3vak

Post by d3vak »

themachinist wrote:OK haven't been here for a while... I'm guessing ntsj x360 is -the- shmupping console to own?
For now it is, as for the future, people are having some high expectations of the xbone.
HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN !!
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

d3vak wrote:
themachinist wrote:OK haven't been here for a while... I'm guessing ntsj x360 is -the- shmupping console to own?
For now it is, as for the future, people are having some high expectations of the xbone.
It'll be nice when we start seeing things.