NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
trap15

Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360

Post by trap15 »

1.01 is pre-order DLC only. Also can only be redeemed from a Japanese account.

As a rule of thumb: if it's a redeem code, it's account region locked. If it's on the marketplace, it's account region free.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Ah okay, thanks trap15. I have been consdiering picking up the Futari LE for the 1.01 DLC. Still not sure if its worth it or not, but its good to know that I'll need to use the jp account.
Quantium

Post by Quantium »

nZero wrote:Just check the input voltage range on the power supply when you get it. From experience, using a Japanese X360 with the JP (100-127V) power supply works perfectly fine in the US. My Asian power supply I'm using for the same 360 here in China reads 200-240V and wouldn't be suitable for use in US/JP. I don't know if the X360S systems have switched to a universal power supply yet but I'd check before plugging anything in.
Seems true, just got this reply back from the horses mouth:

"Thank you for contacting Play-Asia.com.

Yes for the Asian model of Xbox 360, they run at 240v power voltage, you
will need a 110v adapter to run the Asian Xbox 360 console in the US. Since
they are all the same, you can buy the US adapter locally and use it on the
Asian console it will work as well."

So it looks like I'll have to find a US power adapter before I plug this beast in.
Astraea FGA Mk. I

Post by Astraea FGA Mk. I »

The guy I bought mine from threw in a UK power adapter in addition to the Japanese one so I got lucky.
Quantium

Post by Quantium »

Does anyone happen to have an updated list of DLC currently available on the US market?
Also, if I buy and DL DSIIX from XBXL, do I have to stay online to play it, or is it playable whenever? Sorry for the doofy question, new to the Xbox scene. This might've been answered before, but not sure. I currently have the NTSCJ version of DS on order from PA. Is the only way to get MBL DLC for it is through the Japanese XBXL market with a Japanese account? Do I need a gold level account to access DLC content?
Thanks.
Tyjet

Post by Tyjet »

Can't answer the first question.
if I buy and DL DSIIX from XBXL, do I have to stay online to play it, or is it playable whenever?
You can play it without internet connection. If you want access to the leaderboards, download replays, and upload scores then you will need an internet connection.
I currently have the NTSCJ version of DS on order from PA. Is the only way to get MBL DLC for it is through the Japanese XBXL market with a Japanese account?
Yes, you will have to open a Japanese account to buy it there. The US and PAL versions already have MBL and MBL1.1 on the disk so it's not DLC for those regions.

The platinum version comes with MBL, but MBL1.1 will need to be purchased through Xbox Live.
Do I need a gold level account to access DLC content?
No, free (silver) members can buy and download DLC. You will need to have Japanese MS points to purchase.
My Youtube Channel | Xbox: Tyjet Poison | My Scores
djvinc

Post by djvinc »

Hello,

I had some troubles DLCing Futari Black label, because in-game the marketplace doesn't show it, which can be very confusing/frustrating...

I had to create one US account, search for "lavel", find it, buy it (my japanese credits worked ok !?), download it, and finally I could play it.
I dit it this week.

No need to wait for Cave shooting collection to play it.
(Drum says : ) Bin Laden, Ghaddafi, Steve Jobs and now Kim Jong Il. It has been a tough year for evil.
Quantium

Post by Quantium »

I also bought and downloaded "Mushihimesama Hutari Black-Lavel" on the US marketplace this week, and downloaded it ok to my NTSCJ system, using the v1.5 360 release as a base. I still don't get why it's misspelled so badly. Oh, that brings up something else. I've been used to playing MSF on MAME up until now. Does the slowdown seem really erratic to anyone else on the 360 version? Or is it supposed to be like that? I'll tell ya, I was getting creamed last night because the slowdown on the 360 was jumping all over the place, in terms of, it was slowing down when they're really wasn't alot of stuff on screen, or I'd be moving, assuming the slowdown would kick off, it wouldn't, and I'd die. It really felt like forced slowdown?
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Quantium wrote:I also bought and downloaded "Mushihimesama Hutari Black-Lavel" on the US marketplace this week, and downloaded it ok to my NTSCJ system, using the v1.5 360 release as a base. I still don't get why it's misspelled so badly. Oh, that brings up something else. I've been used to playing MSF on MAME up until now. Does the slowdown seem really erratic to anyone else on the 360 version? Or is it supposed to be like that? I'll tell ya, I was getting creamed last night because the slowdown on the 360 was jumping all over the place, in terms of, it was slowing down when they're really wasn't alot of stuff on screen, or I'd be moving, assuming the slowdown would kick off, it wouldn't, and I'd die. It really felt like forced slowdown?
Mushihimesama Futari's slowdown simulation is the most accurate to the original arcade hardware of all the 360 ports. It's supposed to be like that. It's MAME that's wildly off.
Pharos

Post by Pharos »

Anybody know if the codes in the cave ports can be redeemed on a Hong Kong XBL acount?

I saw a thread on another site that said the Bullet Soul release on GoD has no VPN, and therefore can be downloaded outside of Japan. It should be possible to load an American account with Microsoft points, then change the region to HK or Japan and buy the game(Japan:2720MSP/HK:1680MSP.) Both are a major discount over importing the game, which still goes for over $80.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/foru ... p?t=380772
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Pharos wrote:Anybody know if the codes in the cave ports can be redeemed on a Hong Kong XBL acount?
Pretty sure they can't.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

trap15 wrote:1.01 is pre-order DLC only. Also can only be redeemed from a Japanese account.

As a rule of thumb: if it's a redeem code, it's account region locked. If it's on the marketplace, it's account region free.
You don't need a jp account for 1.01. I redeemed mine fine with my australian account.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

AntiFritz wrote:
trap15 wrote:1.01 is pre-order DLC only. Also can only be redeemed from a Japanese account.

You don't need a jp account for 1.01. I redeemed mine fine with my australian account.
I recall hearing this but couldn't be sure. But Mushihimesama Futari is definitely the exception rather than the norm. No reports of success with any of the other codes.
thelion1856

Post by thelion1856 »

Im located in the US and am Interested in purchasing a japanese xbox 360 slim and had a few questions.

1) power supply question? Can I use my US-360 power supply on the J-360? Or will the J-360 power supply work fine?

2) what happens with my downloaded games from xbox live arcade and indie games downloaded on my US-360 slim? Can I redownload them on my j-360 slim or will I have to purchase them again?

3) can I use my US gamer tag on my J-360 and continue to download xbox live arcade games on the J-360? Will the game market place be in English if I'm logged in with my US gamer tag? Or will it all be in japanese no matter what? And downloading future games on my J-360 from live will the games be all in japanese or English?

Thanks!
trap15

Post by trap15 »

thelion1856 wrote:Im located in the US and am Interested in purchasing a japanese xbox 360 slim and had a few questions.

1) power supply question? Can I use my US-360 power supply on the J-360? Or will the J-360 power supply work fine?

2) what happens with my downloaded games from xbox live arcade and indie games downloaded on my US-360 slim? Can I redownload them on my j-360 slim or will I have to purchase them again?

3) can I use my US gamer tag on my J-360 and continue to download xbox live arcade games on the J-360? Will the game market place be in English if I'm logged in with my US gamer tag? Or will it all be in japanese no matter what? And downloading future games on my J-360 from live will the games be all in japanese or English?

Thanks!
1) The J-360 power supply works fine.
2) You can easily redownload them.
3) Yes you can. You can set almost the entire UI to English if you like. Most games will default to English if you set your console's language to English, but some like to default to Japanese anyways (typically easily changeable in settings)
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
thelion1856

Post by thelion1856 »

^thanks trap15!

So is there any noticeable difference if I'm logged in with my regular US gamer tag and have the language setting on English? Anything I'd not be able to use on J-360? Indie games? Netflix? HBO app? Etc?
trap15

Post by trap15 »

There are some games that are region locked to US/EU consoles, but those are in the vast minority. Aside from that, nothing I can think of; I haven't tried the HBO app, but I know Netflix works.
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

AntiFritz wrote:You don't need a jp account for 1.01. I redeemed mine fine with my australian account.
That's because 1.01 isn't actually DLC, it's an unlock key which grants access to 1.01 (which is already on every Futari 1.5 disk).
:lol:
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Cuilan wrote:
AntiFritz wrote:You don't need a jp account for 1.01. I redeemed mine fine with my australian account.
That's because 1.01 isn't actually DLC, it's an unlock key which grants access to 1.01 (which is already on every Futari 1.5 disk).
The location of the content is irrelevant in that we're referring to which marketplaces can be used to activate the content. To my knowledge Futari 1.01 is the only preorder DLC that exists in more than just the JP marketplace. Can anyone confirm if MMP+PS Matsuri mode can be downloaded worldwide as well (being the only other Cave region free offering with preorder DLC)?
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

StarCreator wrote:The location of the content is irrelevant in that we're referring to which marketplaces can be used to activate the content.
I believe all unlock key codes on 360/XBL are "region free", or at least I've yet to hear of a case where one hasn't been. And if I remember correctly, Futari 1.01 has been the only time that Cave has used an unlock-key code for a retail game. It's too bad they didn't make it "real" DLC, since it sucks to have content on the disk you already own be made inaccessible for whatever reason.

Edit:

So the MMP+PS pre-order content is 13mb. That seems far too large to be an unlock key (Futari 1.01 is 56kb). Though it is on the small side relative to Cave's actual marketplace DLC items.

Also, I just remembered that I still have an unused DLC code for Otomedius G. I don't know how big the content is, but if it's "unlock key size", perhaps I could test this all out for myself. Hmm...
:lol:
parts

Post by parts »

I set up a Japan account on US xbox, added ms points from pa card. When I went to purchase Bullet Soul from the Japan store I was denied with some message about region. I went through all of this because I thought BS was region free. What do I need now a jp ip add. and a jp xbox? I also have a jp xbox being shipped now from Japan to try this on next.

edit: Figured out the problem. It was a ip location issue, downloaded and works fine now.
Last edited by parts on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

Cuilan wrote:
StarCreator wrote:The location of the content is irrelevant in that we're referring to which marketplaces can be used to activate the content.
I believe all unlock key codes on 360/XBL are "region free", or at least I've yet to hear of a case where one hasn't been. And if I remember correctly, Futari 1.01 has been the only time that Cave has used an unlock-key code for a retail game. It's too bad they didn't make it "real" DLC, since it sucks to have content on the disk you already own be made inaccessible for whatever reason.

Edit:

So the MMP+PS pre-order content is 13mb. That seems far too large to be an unlock key (Futari 1.01 is 56kb). Though it is on the small side relative to Cave's actual marketplace DLC items.

Also, I just remembered that I still have an unused DLC code for Otomedius G. I don't know how big the content is, but if it's "unlock key size", perhaps I could test this all out for myself. Hmm...
Otomedius G's code downloads some incredibly small amount of data, I think it's about a megabyte. Although the text on the card did say those codes expired back in 2011, so they might not work anymore.
hail good sir

Post by hail good sir »

and
Last edited by hail good sir on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThEmperorIsDead

Post by ThEmperorIsDead »

Just won yestersay a NTSC-J 360 (arcade) with Jasper chipset boxed in mint condition on ebay for £132.00, ordered Ketsui for it... can't wait! :twisted:
mookie3three

Post by mookie3three »

I've actually had a Japanese Xbox 360 since launch. I really should get around to fixing the RROD.
SchoBoogie

Post by SchoBoogie »

I am interested in buying a Japanese Xbox 360. I was wondering if anyone has experience ordering from the global "Rakuten" site. I see listings like this...

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/suru ... 1460428-1/

but am not sure what's being lost in translation(customer reviews are interesting). If not Rakuten, are there any other sites currently selling them besides Play-Asia? Any help is appreciated.
There is no spoon.
iggy

Post by iggy »

SchoBoogie wrote:I am interested in buying a Japanese Xbox 360. I was wondering if anyone has experience ordering from the global "Rakuten" site. I see listings like this...

but am not sure what's being lost in translation(customer reviews are interesting). If not Rakuten, are there any other sites currently selling them besides Play-Asia? Any help is appreciated.
I don't know anything about Rakuten, but I just bought a Japanese xbox 360 from here:

http://www.superufo.com/products/xbox/X ... sion_.html

I think they were fine and I'd order from them again. Not sure what people on this board think of them. They're cheaper than play-asia.
The only odd thing was that they listed the price of the console as "$80" rather than "$180" on the paper invoice enclosed in the box. Not sure if that was a typo or if they do that to get around customs or what.
Bonus!

Post by Bonus! »

This looks like a great price! I had been looking into buying a JAP X360, but was deterred by the sticker price on Play Asia, but $180 plus < $40 for shipping to Europe doesn't sound too bad.

How long did shipping take (and to where)?
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

SchoBoogie wrote:I am interested in buying a Japanese Xbox 360. I was wondering if anyone has experience ordering from the global "Rakuten" site. I see listings like this...

Rakuten has been the victim of some pretty nasty credit card hacking, at least via their USA operations. I won't speculate on how their data is processed and stored globally.

Tons of their customers have had their credit cards compromised and needed to get fraud reversed and new cards issued.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
iggy

Post by iggy »

Bonus! wrote:This looks like a great price! I had been looking into buying a JAP X360, but was deterred by the sticker price on Play Asia, but $180 plus < $40 for shipping to Europe doesn't sound too bad.

How long did shipping take (and to where)?
I paid for the most expensive shipping option, because it was the only one which provided tracking and I thought it would be the safest option to go with.
It was $90 USD for 2 - 4 day shipping and if I remember correctly it took three days to ship to Australia.