NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
StarCreator

Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360

Post by StarCreator »

jammiejay85 wrote:Yeah the power supply is completely knackered my dad's mate had a look at it. He recommended a 240v to 110v step down transformer 4 amps but I have been looking for different one's thanks alot. So if I get a UK PSU with a step down converter I should be good to go? or will I need a Japanese one sorry i'm full of questions now.
You should just be able to plug in a power brick from a UK 360 without a stepdown converter - just choose one that has the same or higher output wattage as the one you blew up. If in doubt, actually read the sticker on it to find the input voltage it's asking for.
fagin

Post by fagin »

jammiejay85 wrote:Yeah the power supply is completely knackered my dad's mate had a look at it. He recommended a 240v to 110v step down transformer 4 amps but I have been looking for different one's thanks alot. So if I get a UK PSU with a step down converter I should be good to go? or will I need a Japanese one sorry i'm full of questions now.
110v @ 4amps! Lol That would drive over two 360's. :D

Step-downs are normally rated in watts or va. Both values are the same numeric value. 200watts is ample.... Why, because the PSU only expects to draw 175 watts.

However as already been said. You don't need a stepdown when using a UK PSU on your JAP PSU.
jammiejay85

Post by jammiejay85 »

StarCreator wrote:
You should just be able to plug in a power brick from a UK 360 without a stepdown converter - just choose one that has the same or higher output wattage as the one you blew up. If in doubt, actually read the sticker on it to find the input voltage it's asking for.
I am going to try a UK power supply first hopefully it will work.
fagin wrote:
110v @ 4amps! Lol That would drive over two 360's. :D

Step-downs are normally rated in watts or va. Both values are the same numeric value. 200watts is ample.... Why, because the PSU only expects to draw 175 watts.

However as already been said. You don't need a stepdown when using a UK PSU on your JAP PSU.
I guess he's just as clueless as I am Lmao.

Just praying now i'll get it sorted :)
Aliquantic

Post by Aliquantic »

Can someone please confirm that the 360 is able to use both its graphic outputs if two cables are plugged in? And assuming it's indeed possible like I've read on the wild Internet, does anyone know of someone who can provide SD cables that are already "broken" (the casing is too big to fit in alongside the HDMI cable, and I don't have the DIY skills to remove it myself apparently and patch things up). Thanks :)
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

Aliquantic wrote:Can someone please confirm that the 360 is able to use both its graphic outputs if two cables are plugged in? And assuming it's indeed possible like I've read on the wild Internet, does anyone know of someone who can provide SD cables that are already "broken" (the casing is too big to fit in alongside the HDMI cable, and I don't have the DIY skills to remove it myself apparently and patch things up). Thanks :)
I can give it a shot later, but last I checked that wasn't a legal configuration.
BT2

Post by BT2 »

Aliquantic wrote:Can someone please confirm that the 360 is able to use both its graphic outputs if two cables are plugged in? And assuming it's indeed possible like I've read on the wild Internet, does anyone know of someone who can provide SD cables that are already "broken" (the casing is too big to fit in alongside the HDMI cable, and I don't have the DIY skills to remove it myself apparently and patch things up). Thanks :)
The 360 can only output video to HDMI if both cables are connected, unless you shorted some pin. If you do it'll turn into an auto detect thing but it'll only output video through 1 device. Well that's what I think Ben Heck said in one of his videos I watched a good while ago.

Prying open a cable is easy enough, just take a flathead screwdriver and wedge it between the plastic and push, just leave the metal part on.
As for me, I'm just using some tape I had lying around to hold the thing together. Most people do this because they want to ouput audio through SD/optical and don't want to buy the MS branded cable thingie.
Aliquantic

Post by Aliquantic »

Okay thanks a lot for the info :) It seems I read it all completely wrong :oops:
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

I'm actually using a third party audio breakout that looks almost exactly like MS's (I think a friend bought it from DealExtreme). It works great, and as far as I can tell doesn't really have the same interference issues that you get with typical third party 360 VGA cables. But yeah, if you're outputting video over HDMI you're only going to get audio from the other output port at best.
svr

Post by svr »

I read the whole thing here and to recap using JAP 360 in EU. I'll just get a power supply suitable to my country(Finland) and use that instead?

Like this one?
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/designer-s ... plug-47645

And I was planning on getting etokki360 PS2 -> X360 adapter to use my HRAP2 modded with seimitsu stick and sanwa buttons.

And to avoid customs hassle with play-asia I was going to order from nin nin games from France. Around 290€ incl. shipping for JAP 4GB Arcade Slim model.

Sounds like a plan?
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Yeah, all of that will work. I actually bought that power supply and it's been fine so far with my JP 4GB Slim unit.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
svr

Post by svr »

Thanks for the confirmation. I'll propably bite on this soonish.

I forgot the HDD, I'll just grab 120GB from dealextreme.
unGDLK

Post by unGDLK »

I visit Hong Kong near the end of the year. Since my Japanese Xbox 360 is on its last breath, I figured it might be a good time to replace it. Does anyone know if consoles in Hong Kong are NTSC/J or PAL? I can't seem to find a definitive answer (I've seen people claiming both). Is it possible to tell which region a console is locked to on the box (I threw away my box a long time ago)?
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

unGDLK wrote:I visit Hong Kong near the end of the year. Since my Japanese Xbox 360 is on its last breath, I figured it might be a good time to replace it. Does anyone know if consoles in Hong Kong are NTSC/J or PAL? I can't seem to find a definitive answer (I've seen people claiming both). Is it possible to tell which region a console is locked to on the box (I threw away my box a long time ago)?
Pretty sure they're NTSC.

Here's the real question: Why does anyone care? With almost everything supporting PAL60 and all HD resolutions are 720@60fps, why in gods name do we make the distinction anymore?
pepcid.

Post by pepcid. »

@ svr

Me and and a friend on a swedish arcade forum bought HK360 Slim 4gb from Buygame2.com

Reason for choosing a HK instead of JP was so we don't have to use a stepdown/stepup volt adapter.

Ended up with a total cost of about 240 euro with DHL shipping & customs. Got them within a week, just need to make sure you choose gift wrap as well as declaring a lower value. On the invoice it said gaming accessory or something like that.

Should save you some cash :)
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

HK 360s are PAL per the first hit on Google.
nZero

Post by nZero »

StarCreator wrote:HK 360s are PAL per the first hit on Google.
I'm confused, are we talking about region coding or SDTV video output?
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

I'm going on the latter, didn't think about the question being for region coding since it seemed like a foregone conclusion HK would be coded for Asia. It's dumb to use video format for the names of regions in the first place --;;
jammiejay85

Post by jammiejay85 »

Hey guys just a quick reply to say my jap xbox 360 is up and running now i did have to send off for a uk power supply but i managed to get as an exchange for my blown up one. :mrgreen: So happy now and thanks for your info guys much appreciated. :D
svr

Post by svr »

The JAP console and euro PSU arrived. Console is pretty quiet but the PSU is as loud as my vacuum cleaner :(

I will try to get a new PSU from dealextreme but that will take weeks and weeks and there no guarentees it is quieter. I tried compressed air and hitting it but no luck.

Is it possible to change the fan from the other brick that came with console? Is their any way to check if its fan is actually quiet? I assume it's not safe to plug in my xbox.

I could also try to get a stepdown converter and europlug and give the JAP PSU a try. Do you know any cheap place online to order some?
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

svr wrote:The JAP console and euro PSU arrived. Console is pretty quiet but the PSU is as loud as my vacuum cleaner :(

I will try to get a new PSU from dealextreme but that will take weeks and weeks and there no guarentees it is quieter. I tried compressed air and hitting it but no luck.

Is it possible to change the fan from the other brick that came with console? Is their any way to check if its fan is actually quiet? I assume it's not safe to plug in my xbox.

I could also try to get a stepdown converter and europlug and give the JAP PSU a try. Do you know any cheap place online to order some?
None of my official Microsoft bricks have ever had a fan. Your bricks are making noise, and have fans?
svr

Post by svr »

dieKatze88 wrote:None of my official Microsoft bricks have ever had a fan. Your bricks are making noise, and have fans?
Apparently the SLIM console has a fan in PSU. And looks like it is a common problem.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

svr wrote:
dieKatze88 wrote:None of my official Microsoft bricks have ever had a fan. Your bricks are making noise, and have fans?
Apparently the SLIM console has a fan in PSU. And looks like it is a common problem.
Nope. I have a Slim console too, no fan in that. Maybe its a 220v region thing? I have a 110v PSU.
autopilot

Post by autopilot »

I purchased a 360 Slim in Korea. Of course the power supply was not usable in the US so I purchased an aftermarket power supply on Amazon. That thing was so loud it was unusable and I returned it. I'm now using a silent ATX pc power supply with two adapters (I could have made them myself but decided to go the easy route). This is working very well now, both the 360 Slim and the ATX power supply are very quiet.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Both my bricks have fans, and both are louder than the console itself.
nZero

Post by nZero »

StarCreator wrote:
Both my bricks have fans, and both are louder than the console itself.
Huh, really? I've never had a brick with a fan, until now I thought that was the realm of DealExtreme bootleg 360 PSUs.

(thank god, the console is plenty loud on its own already)
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

nZero wrote:Huh, really? I've never had a brick with a fan, until now I thought that was the realm of DealExtreme bootleg 360 PSUs.

(thank god, the console is plenty loud on its own already)
Both mine are definitely official MS - one came with my launch model NA unit and the other is a refurb received directly from MS with identical specifications. Both have very small vents (you'd have to look close to find them) and whiny little fans. The bricks for later models supply less wattage so it's quite possible they just don't require the active cooling the launch model bricks had.
svr

Post by svr »

I cracked both of the PSUs open, the JAP and euro one and both had loud fans, JAP fan not so much but still too much. I found a local seller selling old xbox360 PSU which according to him and few others are passive cooled so I'll buy that and get an adapter to use it in Slim console.
svr

Post by svr »

I got the 203W fat PSU and it is silent, I also got an adapter to use it in Slim and they work together perfectly. Finally I can play in peace. Now I need to figure out what the heck all the messages in dodonpachi DOJ mean :)
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

So I'm in a bit of a bind.

The account that I use to primarily buy stuff that isn't exclusive to the Japanese store, is no longer accepting my currently active and completely valid credit card. What this means is, I can't buy points. There's an option to use Paypal, but it just redirects me to the main website, and errors when trying to add my perfectly fine Paypal account.

I don't really want to use Japanese points for content which isn't exclusive. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I've used the card on the same account before.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Elixir wrote:So I'm in a bit of a bind.

The account that I use to primarily buy stuff that isn't exclusive to the Japanese store, is no longer accepting my currently active and completely valid credit card. What this means is, I can't buy points. There's an option to use Paypal, but it just redirects me to the main website, and errors when trying to add my perfectly fine Paypal account.

I don't really want to use Japanese points for content which isn't exclusive. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I've used the card on the same account before.
Try purchasing from your XBox directly instead of the website. I had the exact thing happen when I tried to purchase Daytona on my EU account. From my XBox = worked perfectly.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.