shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:29 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1052 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36
 Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:08 am 

Looks like buying digital from the Japanese store is getting much harder. Yesterday my 360 arrived, and I surfed around trying to buy a prepaid gift card to absolutely no avail, since the transaction would decline every time. I emailed one site's support team to ask why, and he said my account had a security concern - To resolve it, I would have to send a selfie with my real ID (!!) among other things. Just look at the email:

That's g2a, who are known for being shady, but I soon discovered the same for seagm:

These are only two sites I explored, but the others probably blocked it for the same reason. I would encourage everyone NOT to give their ID to these websites under any circumstance, so now we have the additional problem of getting ahold of Japanese cards at all. Luckily, you can probably still just transfer money into your Paypal from your bank, and use the Paypal wallet successfully since it's not drawing funds from a card, but this change still prompts concern in any event, and maybe it's even worth contacting CAVE and others to see if they could put the games on other 360 stores, or port them to Windows if not. It's crazy having a bunch of people who want to buy a game legally, but can't because region lock makes it impossible.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:08 am 

Finally got it. The one I found a working card at was offgamers, but other sites likely still work too (just don't trust the two above at least). The main difference between the guide in the OP and what I found to work personally is that you're much better off doing most of this stuff on the Xbox site now, including making a profile and entering the code. After the yen code successfully adds on the Xbox site, you can download the profile you made on the 360, access the Japan-only store, and the amount of yen you added should be in your wallet. From there the rest is easy. I tested with Muchi-Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets, which is a region-free game, so if I run into issues downloading a region-locked game without a VPN, I'll mention it and post the solution when I find it. Hope this helps xx

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1052 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36