Question about using an RGB cable with an old Panasonic...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
yyr

Question about using an RGB cable with an old Panasonic...

Post by yyr »

OK, so back in the day my family purchased a Commodore 128 with a Panasonic monitor (model # CT-13000). The monitor has composite video and RGB modes, and corresponding inputs in the back.

When I went away to college I used the very same monitor as a TV and gaming console screen, and it served me well. After college and all the way to the present it's been serving me well for the same purposes. It even tates fairly well. The thing's been running like 15 years by now and you'd never be able to tell.

After the recent announcement of the PS2 Mushi port and the talk of RGB in the Mushi thread, I realized: I have an RGB monitor. Hmmm... I went to Lik-Sang and ordered RGB cables for my PS2 and Xbox, thinking "why didn't I do this before?"

The cables arrived today and I realized something else: the RGB output from the cable and the input on my monitor are different. The output is 20-pin, while the input is 8-pin and quite a bit smaller. I can take a digital picture of either or both if necessary. Googling turned up nothing useful, but I thought I saw the 8-pin plug referred to as "DIN." Does anyone here have knowledge of any adapters, cables etc. that can bridge the gap? I'm tired of composite!
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Email Matthew Ross the_matthew@yahoo.ca

Matt will sort you out.. although its probably cheaper just to buy a custom made cable from him then to send your current cable for modification. No adaptor exists.

What I would do if I were you is to ask him to make a universal cable for you. What he does is make one length of cable fitting your monitor, but using a db9 plug on the other end he can actually make adaptors for any console you wish. This will save you buying any more cables in the future.

So you might as well kill 10 birds with one stone and just order adaptors for every console you want RGB from.

Be specific about your audio requirements as well. If the monitor is stereo/mono, if the sound goes via the lead you require or seperate RCA's.. If you want he can put female RCA's on the cable so that you can run cables to any sound equipment you have, or alternatively to your monitor if it takes the RCA's.

this is just an estimate of his prices..

RGB cable for your monitor - $15
Adaptor for each console - $7 - $10 each.

Shipping about $5.00.

I recommend his work, and have about 8 of his cables ranging from SCART leads to XRGB cables.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
matt

Post by matt »

I'm 90% certain that your monitor only takes digital RGB, and thus won't work with game consoles.

But it does make for a great little TV :)
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I've never understood digital RGB Matt, care to emphasise a little more?
matt

Post by matt »

CGA
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

CGA is a digital signal :lol:

I thought VGA was analog... Must read up on it.
yyr

Post by yyr »

matt wrote:I'm 90% certain that your monitor only takes digital RGB, and thus won't work with game consoles.

But it does make for a great little TV :)
Yeah, it's been that too =) It's just too bad it can't handle the good stuff. Aw, well... thanks anyway, guys!