How to: Modding a Mayflash arcade stick

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Replying late...

That actuator was actually a dealbreaker for me; it's just way too small for the mechanism it's sitting in, making the deadzone way too big. The entire mechanism in general, save for the Omron switches, was just a very badly made knockoff of a generic Hori lever. I couldn't even separate the balltop from the shaft when I tried to disassemble it... and ended up irreparably damaging the screwdriver head in my attempt to do so.

I'm still awaiting the parts for my mod. I wasn't able to acquire a flat Seimitsu mounting plate in this order and didn't feel like pushing my entire order back a week so I could re-make it to add one more part, so I'm probably just going to see what happens with the S plate before I order additional parts. I suppose I should really be looking at where to get QDs, wires, and a barrier strip...
CptnAmerica

Post by CptnAmerica »

Sorry to hear that...
Well Good Luck on your Modding and let us see your pictures when you are done with it.

For me, Broken Halo got me hooked on to this modding...
I'm actually trying to do a custom case mod.
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

StarCreator wrote:I'm still awaiting the parts for my mod. I wasn't able to acquire a flat Seimitsu mounting plate in this order and didn't feel like pushing my entire order back a week so I could re-make it to add one more part, so I'm probably just going to see what happens with the S plate before I order additional parts. I suppose I should really be looking at where to get QDs, wires, and a barrier strip...
stuck in lizardlick hell too, huh? i've got an order im hoping shows up next week, but i have a feeling it wont be until the week after that.

wire. 100' rolls of 22 awg stranded for $6.99
.110 qds. 1.20 for 10
barrier strips

just an all around great site with good prices.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Thanks for all the help. My parts are in, and it looks like I will be attacking the Mayflash with a dremel in the near future. I unfortunately made a conversion error when ordering a DB-15 cable and ended up with one that was way shorter than what I actually wanted, so I'll have to take some time out to order another.

I did some test fitting and the S mounting plate is indeed a little too wide to fit inside the plastic walls the stock lever was sitting within. I did note, however, that the LS-32 with the mounting plate removed entirely will fit inside nicely. Would it be an issue if I just installed the LS-32 directly onto the plastic case without using a mounting plate in between?
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

as long as you can figure out a way to attach it, i don't see a problem. i've seen some people undermount jlf's without drilling holes in the case for extra screws. they dremel out part of the base and drill holes in the microswitches. looks like a pain but it can be done. im not as familiar with the construction of the ls-32, but where there's a will there's a way.
jorjet27

Re: How to: Modding a Mayflash arcade stick

Post by jorjet27 »

Hi peeps,
my dog chewed through the mayflash usb cable :(
can it be fixed simply by rewiring it?
I've tried it but didnt use a soldering iron - there are like 8 tiny wires to connected :O.

I've read that usb only takes 4 cables can i only do those and see if it works? or would i have to connect all 8?

cheers
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

usb only takes 4 wires (+5v, data+, data-, ground) the other 4 (clock, acknowledge, command, +9v) are for ps2 specific functions.

i'd say maybe the easiest way is to desolder the plastic connector that all the wires connect to the board with, and then solder your new leads using those holes. if all else fails, maybe consider using a cthulu pcb for replacement. good luck with this one. and don't forget to shoot the dog :mrgreen:.
Figaro209

Post by Figaro209 »

I know this topic is long dead but I have a question about modding the Mayflash to a JLF stick. I got the stick in, wired it all up, plugged it in, and found that for some reason I am only getting 2 directions. These directions change depending on which grounding wire I tie in. I currently have the red wires for direction and the black ones for ground. Does anyone have any ideas?
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

Figaro209 wrote:I know this topic is long dead but I have a question about modding the Mayflash to a JLF stick. I got the stick in, wired it all up, plugged it in, and found that for some reason I am only getting 2 directions. These directions change depending on which grounding wire I tie in. I currently have the red wires for direction and the black ones for ground. Does anyone have any ideas?
don't assume that all reds are "x" and all blacks are "y". they seemed to wire these at random. use a multimeter to check for continuity. you'll get continuity between all the ground connections.
TeckMan

Post by TeckMan »

Hey sorry to bump an old thread but:

In regards to filing out the hole to be 30mm. Why not just use the obsf-24 parts?
http://www.arcadespareparts.com/arcade_ ... ?page_id=1

Are they not as responsive/high quality as the 30mm? Do they not fit? Any downside at all to 28mm?

edit:
got a response over at shoryuken in the meantime. the 24 is 24mm aka too small. the button is 28mm but the part that needs to go into the board is 24 so it's too small.
SignorSensible

Post by SignorSensible »

Hi everybody :)

I opened my Arcade stick today and not found Omron microswitches, just some chinese cheap types from Lema Electronics. They work ok so far though, I've seen much worse which stopped working after few days of use :lol:

I got two questions regarding microswitches.

1)For those who have Omron switches in their Mayflash AS: what type are they please?

2) Which Omron switches I should buy as spare ones (not only for this stick but for other joysticks as well) when I want some really good, long-lasting ones?

Thanks.
I do not drink alcohol, do not smoke and do not use drugs. I am a shmupper 8)
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Assuming you mean switches for the lever, you probably want the MS-O-3R according to Akihabarashop.
SignorSensible

Post by SignorSensible »

Thanks ScarCreator for your reply.

Sorry for not clearing that out-yes, switches for the lever.
These V-5210 are Yamatake/Honeywell switches (will try them anyway), not from Omron. The reason why I want Omron so much beside they are good is - I can buy stuff from Omron for extremely good price (discount 50% for my first purchase when I spend at least 50 euros).
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

SignorSensible wrote:I can buy stuff from Omron for extremely good price (discount 50% for my first purchase when I spend at least 50 euros).
How and from where exactly? :shock:
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
SignorSensible

Post by SignorSensible »

My good friend who is a local distributor/dealer of electro stuff by Omron and other companies can purchase stuff for good price at the end of every year and he is not gonna use it this year. Anyone else can use the voucher and get this discount but must order stuff for at least +- 50 euros (there is a max value, do not know how much). And he will get some bonus for a new customer (me), no matter if I order something in the future or not.
I was thinking about getting electro-barometer but I already got one so what else to buy than microswitches :lol:
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Unless the switches in the stick are levered, you should get these:

They are magnetic reed switches and should never wear out.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
SignorSensible

Post by SignorSensible »

I was decided to get batch of V-10-1A4s, I have to change my mind now :D
Thanks emphatic.

That shop you took the image from has ridiculous prices. D2RV-G can be bought for ~5,50 USD.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

SignorSensible wrote:That shop you took the image from has ridiculous prices. D2RV-G can be bought for ~5,50 USD.
It's still cheaper than buying the silent SANWA JLFs (equipped with these switches on a PCB), but almost 10 bucks a switch isn't cheap, no. Where can I buy some from for 5, 50 USB?
SignorSensible

Post by SignorSensible »

emphatic wrote:
SignorSensible wrote:That shop you took the image from has ridiculous prices. D2RV-G can be bought for ~5,50 USD.
It's still cheaper than buying the silent SANWA JLFs (equipped with these switches on a PCB), but almost 10 bucks a switch isn't cheap, no. Where can I buy some from for 5, 50 USB?
Definitely, expensive. That's why V-10-1A4 should be good enough, high quality and good price.
Check pm ;)
SignorSensible

Post by SignorSensible »

I got another question regarding the joystick/stick:
After removing the E-clip on the bottom of the stick (under the screw head) and then removing the stick itself (not the whole joystick, just the stick), can the stick be put back?

I plan to put there the Competition Pro joystick stick instead of the original one. Might happen this new stick will not suit me, then I'll need to put the original one back. Is it possible? I read the E-clip is pretty difficult to remove, do not know if it can be put back then.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

From what I remember it's much easier to put back than it is to get off in the first place. The biggest danger I have with those things is them flying in some random direction when I get them off and never being able to find it.
SignorSensible

Post by SignorSensible »

Hehe, I know what you mean. Happened to me many times.

Thanks, Ill try that then. Hope I wont screw something, I got talent for that :roll: