Questions about Midway's PS2 Mortal Combat controllers....

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dave4shmups

Questions about Midway's PS2 Mortal Combat controllers....

Post by dave4shmups »

I bought one of these about a month or so ago, because it has a large D-Pad.

However, I know that any peripherals that aren't liscenced by Sony can harm my PSTwo. Should I quit using this controller, "just in case"? I mean, Midway's a pretty good (and old) name in gaming.
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

i don't think the 3rd party peripherals are particularly bad for a console at all. it seems that most stories in which you hear of blown ports etc, the reason is that the person has hot swapped the controller while the power is on. considering the instructions tell you blatantly not to do this, i think that it may be the deciding factor in screwing you ps2
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I don't think it'll mess up your system or anything like that, but many gamers generally distrust third-party controllers and such simply because in many cases they don't last as long. Of course, it varies from case to case.
benstylus

Post by benstylus »

Console manufacturers say that stuff about third party items for a couple reasons.

#1 - the obvious reason is they'd prefer if you bought their own stuff (or at least licensed 3rd party stuff like the Logitech wireless controllers).

#2 - some of those 3rd party items are pretty shoddy. In these cases, the manufacturers are just covering their backside - nobody wants to be sued over a busted controller port.

In general, though, I'd agree with the previous post. The third party stuff is cheaper because it's generally made with cheaper parts, and not always as reliable as the first party stuff.

Had a 3rd party Dreamcast controller. The analog wasn't as precise, and after about 10 days, the D-pad stopped working.

Had a 3rd party digital Playstation 1 controller - never broke, but it wasn't as sensitive as it needed to be. You really had to press the buttons HARD for it to notice.

And as a general rule, all 3rd party light guns (with the exception of Namco's GunCon) are utter garbage.

Generally I've not had problem with third party non controller accessories (memory cards, cables, etc.) so I continue to buy those.

The only exception was that I had a 3rd party gamecube-gba link cable die on me after about two weeks of use. Replaced it with a Nintendo one, it's still going strong.

Also, for Memory cards just make sure that you're getting the true memory they advertise on the package, not just compressed memory so they can fit more. There have been quite a few incidents I've read about with compressed memory.
You're arguing for a universe with fewer waffles in it. I'm prepared to call that cowardice.
Cugel

Re: Questions about Midway's PS2 Mortal Combat controllers..

Post by Cugel »

dave4shmups wrote:I bought one of these about a month or so ago, because it has a large D-Pad.

However, I know that any peripherals that aren't liscenced by Sony can harm my PSTwo. Should I quit using this controller, "just in case"? I mean, Midway's a pretty good (and old) name in gaming.
The biggest problem with the PSTwo is shoddy construction: the laser sucks, the ventilation sucks, and heat is a big time problem.

There are lots of theories why Sony used a crappy laser in the PSTwo and PS2, but the bottomline is that it will fail if you don't use clean discs. If there are scratches, smudges, or anything that could cause the laser to overwork itself, it will burn out.

Sony's quality is pure shite these days. I rarely buy Sony products these days, but if I do I only buy Sony products made in Japan. If it's made elsewhere, it's shite. My Wega 36-inch Trinitron was made in Japan thank Cthulhu.