sticks that move in a square vs circle

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mirkvid

sticks that move in a square vs circle

Post by mirkvid »

hey guys, i picked up the tekken hori stick a while back and while i think its great for shooters, im having a hard time using it for 2d fighters. i think the problem is that the stick moves around a square base. in the arcades most fighters have sticks that move in a circle.

can you recommend a good circle stick that would be easy to install into my hori?

my ability to dragon punch depends on it!
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

Stick with the square base, with practice its better :) Blocking diagonol/low can never be missed with a square plate, where as with a round shape theres alot more guess work, i find anyway.
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
mirkvid

Post by mirkvid »

yeah, i can still do the DP, but not as well as at the arcades or with a d-pad....mabey i'll buy a case of mountain dew and stay up all night working on it....college finals be damned! :D
dial911

Post by dial911 »

Its not the stick that has a "square base" it's just a gate. Just a square shaped piece of plastic that restricts the movement of the joystick to a square. I know that many Japanese based sticks can interchange gates. So you could probably put a circle gate in; problem is I heard the Tekken Stick is hard as a biatch to mod. Square gates are more for 3d fighters and shooters while circle gates are more for 2d fighters and misc. shiz.

Anyways, enough of my diatribe. I recommend that you pick up a Pelican Real Arcade stick for $40, and put some happ convex buttons and a competition joystick inside of it. Total cost around $75 to get a perfect "circular" arcade stick. You can purchase happ shiz from http://happcontrols.com/
What more can I say I wouldn't be here today if the old school didn't pave the way.
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Cheaper to buy Happs parts here: http://www.therealbobroberts.com/
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Also, be aware that the Universal Real Arcade from Pelican has a reputation for blowing fuses in PS2 controller ports. Don't ever hot-swap this joystick when the console is still on.

Personally, if you want to Happ-mod a joystick, I prefer the Street Fighter Anniversary stick.
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

i know what you mean. i've just got the namco arcade stick and it seems pretty tricky to pull of 2 hcb specials in cvs2, but i'm getting a hell of a lot better with it with practise. does your stick click when in position? i found it helpful to listen to the stick as you are using it so when you do a dragon punch you know you need a definate click for forward down and then down forward. stick with it :)
dial911

Post by dial911 »

bigbadboaz wrote:Also, be aware that the Universal Real Arcade from Pelican has a reputation for blowing fuses in PS2 controller ports. Don't ever hot-swap this joystick when the console is still on.

Personally, if you want to Happ-mod a joystick, I prefer the Street Fighter Anniversary stick.
The Street Fighter AV stick has slight input lag.
What more can I say I wouldn't be here today if the old school didn't pave the way.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

The Street Fighter AV stick has slight input lag.
This has been a topic of huge debate over on SRK. The only people who have posted side-by-side tests with other sticks found no lag; I myself have never noticed any. YMMV.