Baby's First Region Hack

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Pastel Maelstrom

Baby's First Region Hack

Post by Pastel Maelstrom »

I opened the Saturn up, which by the way was really frustrating because it took me forever to get up the courage to force the little tiny circuit board on top off of those pins that run through the white plastic doohickey, and then I stared at the mainboard for two hours before I finally flipped it over and found the other two jumpers, and then I desoldered the jumpers and soldered a wire across the positions those jumpers did not occupy. Then I closed it up and it worked but controller one wouldn't respond which I guess could mean it wasn't working but what I mean in fact is that Guardian Heroes booted up with no Action Replay in there. So I opened it back up and pushed the ribbon/edge connectermabobs real HARD into the socketmajigs, and closed it all back up again and now it works works. It thinks it's a Japanese Saturn now. No switches, no multiplexers, just wire. I demand praise for my lacklustre efforts!

Oh, and those of you that knew me on the old board, hello again. Sorry I didn't write...
Question me not say the Lord unto thee
You have chosen your own fate and your own destiny
Denied of this life is what you are to be

-Iced Earth
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Good job! I have a Japanese Saturn :)

I'm still lacking confidence to do jumper modifications to motherboards for region hacks and stuff, the most I've done is only tapping what's already available, like controller ports, lid switches, power supplies and A/V ports...

*Maybe* I'll try to region hack my GameCube one of these days...
snap monkey

Post by snap monkey »

Wait a second, I'm a bit confused. Is this in the process of installing a mod chip, or did you literally just solder one wire and you're now region free? I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to any harware modifications, can you point me to any reading material on this?
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

He just changed the region code from US to Japanese compatibility.

If you put in a switch you can toggle between the 2 regions freely. Its really quite easy to do. You can add European in there as well if you have a 3 way switch.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Pastel Maelstrom

Post by Pastel Maelstrom »

snap monkey wrote:Wait a second, I'm a bit confused. Is this in the process of installing a mod chip, or did you literally just solder one wire and you're now region free? I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to any harware modifications, can you point me to any reading material on this?
Here's where I got my info. Yeah, this guy talks about using a switch, or a multiplexer (see 'switchless mod' for the dirt on that scheme) to be able to toggle your regions without all that mucking about on the insides... beyond installing the switch or mux that is. And it was two wires.
Question me not say the Lord unto thee
Denied of this life is what you are to be

-Iced Earth
snap monkey

Post by snap monkey »

Cool, cool. Thanks for the information, guys. I'm currently becoming a world-class Saturn type-2 swap-tricker (which gets old fast, but my success rate is getting pretty high), so I'm interested in something involving less hassle. Do you guys recommend looking into mod chips/switches or is it cheaper to just buy a cheap US system and "make it" JP?
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

i'm selling a us system here.
I have no sig whatsoever.
snap monkey

Post by snap monkey »

Tempting, but unfortunately I would have no way to pay you at the moment. :D