Button Mapping and controller converter question

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
awc

Button Mapping and controller converter question

Post by awc »

I have a Hori Real Arcade Pro and I modded it to have only three Sanwa buttons; square, circle, and x in a Virtua Fighter configuration and replaced all the remaining holes with button plugs. Now I have a few questions.

1) Are there any SHMUPS for PS2 or Dreamcast that use more than three buttons?

2) Will I have problems with button mapping issues with any PS1/PS2>DC controller adapters?
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

There's none that I recall for the first question. Then again, has there been any arcade shooter that used more than 3 buttons?
zakk

Post by zakk »

Espgaluda uses 4 buttons in arrange mode. (shot, b-shot, kakusei, charge shield/shot).

And the normal mode can use 4 if you want an autofire a-shot.
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

i know shienryu explosion (steel dragon ex) uses 3 buttons for varying shot power, one for all three on analogue and a bomb button, so five there ideally.

however it isn't that great a loss to be honest as although the game is fun it's hardly challenging or long lasting.

the ps-dc adapter may have a few problems however. not from first hand experience, but i've heard that certain games map the buttons stupidly so you may find an accept button (to move onto the menu screen for example) is missing.

can't be certain though, hope you get it sorted
oxtsu

Re: Button Mapping and controller converter question

Post by oxtsu »

awc wrote:2) Will I have problems with button mapping issues with any PS1/PS2>DC controller adapters?
I think it's too difficult to say with absolute certainly, because of how there are so many different manufacturer for PS2>>DC converter.

Short of putting your original button back in for the odd chance it's needed to advance the game/menu, another way would be to add a few small 18mm (test button size) to the control panel. From that point hopefully you could chnage the button map in game if need be, to suit your layout.

p.s. VF button layout is great for shooting game! Using thumb for bomb or rapid fire - it's comfort not having to reach out to the normal layout 'button 3'.