Master System Adapters

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
BrianC

Master System Adapters

Post by BrianC »

I'm interested in getting a Power Base converter for my Genesis and a Master Gear adapter for my Game Gear. Do these have any compatibility issues with any games? Is there anything I should know before getting one? I know that the Master Gear Adapter has no card slot. Does this mean I can't play Zaxxon for the SG-3000 on it? Imports should play fine on both, right?
it290

Post by it290 »

There aren't any compatibility issues with the PBC intself AFAIK, but there are some compatibility issues with Genesis controllers. These can be remedied by using an actual Master System controller instead. Also keep in mind that the PBC won't fit correctly onto anything but a model 1 Genesis. You can easily modify it to fit on a model 2, but it will look pretty ugly after you're done.

As for imports, you should be able to play Euro or South American MS games fine, but Japanese MarkIII games won't work. Tototek sells a converter that will play both MS and MarkIII games, although it has no card slot. Also keep in mind that you won't get FM sound out of a Genesis no matter what you do.

I don't know if you'll be able to get Zaxxon working at all.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Thanks for the Power Base info, but what about the Master Gear adapter? Will I be able to play the US or European Space Harrier, Fantasy Zone, Fantasy Zone 2, Streets of Rage, Streets of Rage 2, Power Strike 2, Outrun, using the Master Gear? What about Japanese game compatiblity with the Master Gear?

Post by Guest »

I have the Power Base Converter. It sucks. It'll play most games, sure, but it always freezes about five minutes into the gameplay. I've had it going for as long as 20 minutes before without it freezing, but it never fails, it freezes every time.

Here's what to do...get a Master System 1. You don't want the Master System 2, because it only has RF output, and is more rare/expensive. Master System 1 has AV output...you can use your Genesis 1 AV cable on it...not to mention that it has the card port.

I've never messed with the Master Gear Converter...but yeah, it doesn't have the card port, so any games that require accessories that use the card port can't be played effectively by that note.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Dark Saibot wrote:I have the Power Base Converter. It sucks. It'll play most games, sure, but it always freezes about five minutes into the gameplay. I've had it going for as long as 20 minutes before without it freezing, but it never fails, it freezes every time.

Here's what to do...get a Master System 1. You don't want the Master System 2, because it only has RF output, and is more rare/expensive. Master System 1 has AV output...you can use your Genesis 1 AV cable on it...not to mention that it has the card port.

I've never messed with the Master Gear Converter...but yeah, it doesn't have the card port, so any games that require accessories that use the card port can't be played effectively by that note.
Specifics? it290 didn't mention frezzing problems, so I'm assuming they aren't universal. Are you using SMS or Genesis controllers? More info please. Also, I'm interested in getting the Master Gear Converter becuase it plays Master System games on the go and adds more games to the Game Gear library. I'm actually way more interested in the Master Gear Converter than the Power Base, though I'm interested in hearing more about the Power Base too.
it290

Post by it290 »

I've never had problems with freezing at all. Sounds like a problem with your PBC and/or carts.

I don't know about the Master Gear converter as I haven't used one, but you won't be able to play Japanese Mark III games on it, either... the carts are physically different. I'm sure it works fine, though, as the MS and GG are virtually identical hardware-wise.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

it290 wrote:I've never had problems with freezing at all. Sounds like a problem with your PBC and/or carts.

I don't know about the Master Gear converter as I haven't used one, but you won't be able to play Japanese Mark III games on it, either... the carts are physically different. I'm sure it works fine, though, as the MS and GG are virtually identical hardware-wise.
Thanks for the info. I read a Master System faq (which has a small section on the converter) and it said that New Zealand Story doesn't work on US Master Systems, but may actually work on the Power Base Converter. There is also an added benefit with the Power Base Converter when used on a Genesis with a mod switch. It can play Master System games in Mark III mode! The lack of FM sound sounds disappointing, but I think I might give the Power Base converter a try.

I also read about the Master Gear Converter in a faq. It works with most games, but has minor graphical differences with some 4 meg games. That means that Power Strike 2 will probably have some problems on it, but the main game I wanted to play on it, Fantasy Zone, should work fine. Though I did read the faqs, they didn't really have too much in the way of specific info. None of the faqs at gamefaqs even mention anything about the cartridge differences. That sounds like a real bummer since I really wanted to play Zaxxon. I heard about this Colecovision clone from Telegames may be able to play SG-1000 and SG-3000 games, though.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

According to Melf's website (sega-16.com), you can't save games on it with games that support it. Golden Axe Warrior, Ys, Phantasy Star, etc. I don't know if he tried different PBCs or what, but in his own experience he couldn't save anything.
it290

Post by it290 »

Is that referring to the MGC? Because I've had no problems saving in PS with the PBC.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

OmegaFlareX wrote:According to Melf's website (sega-16.com), you can't save games on it with games that support it. Golden Axe Warrior, Ys, Phantasy Star, etc. I don't know if he tried different PBCs or what, but in his own experience he couldn't save anything.
Actually, according to the website, there are conflicting reports about whether or not the Power Base Converter can save games.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

I don't see how can it cause trouble, if the game is saved on the cart by means of a battery.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
it290

Post by it290 »

Yup, it works fine, and don't forget that Phantasy Star 1 was released on the Mega Drive and operates in the same way the PBC does.