TFT monitor and upscanned VGA output, need some advice.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
visuatrox

TFT monitor and upscanned VGA output, need some advice.

Post by visuatrox »

I'm trying to come up with a solution that looks neat, and is as close to "arcade" quality as possible.

I'm leaning towards buying a 19" TFT monitor that has a pivot, and then connecting my Playstation 2 to it with a VGA box.

So basically my options when it comes to VGA boxes are (looking at Play-Asia):
- Hori Upscan Converter 2
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-86-70-5w4.html
- Multi Purpose VGA Box
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-86-70-2cs.html
- Magic VGA Box
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-86-70-5w4.html

So what would be the best choice to get as pure/crisp quality as possible with a TFT monitor? Would things actually end up looking worse/more filtered than they already do in "yoko" mode? A few old PS1 games for sure would look better on a tated TFT (the donpachis..), but how about the PS2 ports that have filtered high-resolution yoko modes?.

Considering the native resolution of the TFT monitor would be 1280x1924, I guess the games would still have a filtered look even in Tate?

It really sucks that there aren't any Tate CRT Monitors you can buy :(
Tychom

Post by Tychom »

So what would be the best choice to get as pure/crisp quality as possible with a TFT monitor?
Historically the Micomsoft XRGB-2 has been the one to get at the consumer level, weighing in at around $200. I'm still to hear of any feedback on any of the ones you link though. I currently have the Micomsoft one and it really is fantastic.
Considering the native resolution of the TFT monitor would be 1280x1924, I guess the games would still have a filtered look even in Tate?
Most assuredly, I imagine however the quality of the scaling is dependant on the model - perhaps some even have options to turn on off certain scaling options...
It really sucks that there aren't any Tate CRT Monitors you can buy
Hmm, buy monitor, turn on side, voila - TATE monitor.
visuatrox

Post by visuatrox »

The problem with the micomsoft is that it does not manage PAL (as far as I know anyway). Hmm I guess trying to predict how the picture quality ends up like is going to be a difficult task, I probably just have to gamble a little and try it out :P, though tft monitors are not that cheap so it would be a shame if it turns out like crap :(

Well the reason why I don't want to just turn a CRT monitor is because it looks ugly ;P, not exactly anything I would want to have visible in my living room.
WheePenPen

Post by WheePenPen »

from what ive read from various forums and product reviews the hori is the one to get if youre on a budget. i actually just got mine a few days ago and it works relatively well. of course id still rather play on a tv because it looks slightly blurry, but im happy with it.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

You have to be careful to make sure the box actually outputs a resolution compatible with your monitor. I got a rotatable LCD monitor and I was using a cheapie upscan box on my CRT before, but now it doesn't work with my LCD, and the only thing I have left on which to play all my non-Dreamcast stuff is a 4" PSOne LCD screen...
visuatrox

Post by visuatrox »

Thanks for all the advice I ended up ordering the Hori, it unfortunately only outputs 640x480, but according to most opinions I have heard it has very good picture quality though. I have to rely on the TFT monitor being able to "stretch" the picture in a hopefully not too filtered kind of way.

The monitor I'm leaning towards getting is a samsung 913N, unfortunately I can't find a specsheet that says if it rotates clockwise or counterclockwise, so I guess I have to call some store :P (although I bet the salespersons will have no clue).

Considering the native resolution of the Samsung monitor is nearly close to double of the Horis output, I hope that the stretching will not look too bad.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

There's no PAL RGB. Regardless of what your console is, you simply feed the XRGB the Red, Green, Blue and sync signals, and that's it. Now, if the games aren't optimized for PAL consoles, then.. too bad.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.