PSOne vs PSTwo

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
SheSaidDutch

PSOne vs PSTwo

Post by SheSaidDutch »

I was thinking of getting either a PSOne or PSTwo

PSOne- I would be able to play Gradius 1-2,Gaiden with no combatibility problems

PSTwo- Can play most PSX games apart from afew games, but also for Gradius 3-4, Gradius 5, Metal Slug and Street Fighter 2.
What about the console not having a fan?
Could I install one or just try to keep it as coll as possible?

Which one should I get?

I would have to get a pre-ownder PSOne but will it be easier to buy a pre-chipped one ala swapdisk, PSTwo I dont know much about mods.
Last edited by SheSaidDutch on Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neon

Post by Neon »

Asian ps2's are now $200 at play-asia, well worth the cost difference over the ps1 for the exclusives that it has.
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

Neon wrote:Asian ps2's are now $200 at play-asia, well worth the cost difference over the ps1 for the exclusives that it has.
I good price that is Neon
Would I need a step down or something to be able to play inthe UK?

btw might seem abit anal but Pal/NTSC 50/60 Herts

The Dreamcast spoilt me by offering 60 Herts, I'm not sure about seeing those horrible twin black borders again.

I think a PSTwo will be my purchase

While here, What about a joystick for a first timer?

nothing too big, Is the Namce PS1 joystick that I've heard a good joystick in terms of a first timer and also size wise?
visuatrox

Re: PSOne vs PSTwo

Post by visuatrox »

In my opinion get a PS2, just think about the sweet Cave games. And all the nice Taito, Psikyo double packs and collections. Many of the PS1 games are also getting re-released or included on compilations for PS2. The minor compatibility issues in a few games, are not worth getting a PS1 for.

The probably cheapest way to play games from all regions, is just to buy a console from the cheapest possible local store. And then get it modified and you no longer will have to worry about regions..

As for joysticks, Horis real arcade pro would probably be a good choice.
SheSaidDutch

Re: PSOne vs PSTwo

Post by SheSaidDutch »

visuatrox wrote:In my opinion get a PS2, just think about the sweet Cave games. And all the nice Taito, Psikyo double packs and collections. Many of the PS1 games are also getting re-released or included on compilations for PS2. The minor compatibility issues in a few games, are not worth getting a PS1 for.

The probably cheapest way to play games from all regions, is just to buy a console from the cheapest possible local store. And then get it modified and you no longer will have to worry about regions..

As for joysticks, Horis real arcade pro would probably be a good choice.
Heh I'm not a big fan of Cave/Taito/Psikyo, so there's alot less software I need to purchase.

How big is the hori? from the screenshots It looks rather big, probably the size as most jotsticks :wink: but I'm a total novice with joysticks,
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Yeah, the Hori RAP is a big, sturdy stick... meaning it's really bulky. The Namco Arcade Stick is great, and not only will it cost less, you'll save on shipping by getting one. While the Namco Arcade Stick doesn't have real arcade parts, they're still high quality and as a "first-timer" you won't notice a difference anyhow.
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

mannerbot wrote:Yeah, the Hori RAP is a big, sturdy stick... meaning it's really bulky. The Namco Arcade Stick is great, and not only will it cost less, you'll save on shipping by getting one. While the Namco Arcade Stick doesn't have real arcade parts, they're still high quality and as a "first-timer" you won't notice a difference anyhow.
Thanks for the information, Is the namco stick only availible on e-bay or secondhand?
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Well, the Namco stick was a PSX stick, so obviously it's not being produced anymore. eBay is probably your best shot at getting one.
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

Thank you, on average how much does the Namco Stick go for on e-bay?

Just want to know incase I speed too much than what it normally goes for.
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

well i managed to snag one the other day (i assume you're talking about the grey base/yellow buttons model) for 21 pounds and 6 pounds shipping off ebay, but i think i got a really good price. i've seen them go for as much as 40-50 quid, the reason i haven't got one till now lol.

should be here by tuesday :)
well should be here by monday but damn the bank holiday grrr....
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

sjewkestheloon wrote:well i managed to snag one the other day (i assume you're talking about the grey base/yellow buttons model) for 21 pounds and 6 pounds shipping off ebay, but i think i got a really good price. i've seen them go for as much as 40-50 quid, the reason i haven't got one till now lol.

should be here by tuesday :)
well should be here by monday but damn the bank holiday grrr....
21 pounds congrats on a good deal my friend 8) yes It's the stick you're mentioned, thanks for the information regarding the price average's

now it's just the case of winning a bid :wink:
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

well when i was bidding there were two within a day or so so i assume that it lightened the load somewhat. i'll keep an eye out and let you know if i see one around. doind revision for my uni finals at the mo so a lot of time wasted browsing items i can't afford...