Play PAL C64 games on NTSC C64?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dczx

Play PAL C64 games on NTSC C64?

Post by dczx »

It just can't be done, can it?

Is there a way I could import a PAL C64 to play some PAL games on? Would it run okay in the US?
make a reaction
memorizing a pattern
must not be shot down
it290

Post by it290 »

It can be done, no problems. At least, I never had any on my C64 with 1072 monitor.... I don't think the monitor ever switched to 50hz sync though, so you should be fine even on a TV.. the games will just run a bit faster and you might lose a few lines of resolution.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

The c64 is heavily bordered all the way around on PAL, I would imagine this area is smaller on NTSC machines.

I remember reading about SID music being at 50hz on PAL games, I wonder if the sync is okay on 60hz machines.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
antime

Post by antime »

C64 games are usually very dependent on the video frequency for timing, so expect glitches, sound problems etc. Some games also put graphics in the border area, which may not be visible on NTSC machines. Many pirate copies were "NTSC fixed" but I have no idea how well these versions work.
The C64 is one of the machines where you definitely want PAL hardware!
dczx

Post by dczx »

so...

Can I run a PAL C64 on an American Commodore 1702 monitor.... with U.S. power supplies?
make a reaction
memorizing a pattern
must not be shot down
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

The AC adaptor thing might work. The monitor might be a problem though.

Once I took apart a PAL c64 and there was a switch inside for PAL and NTSC. I am not certain, but you might just have to switch it and force the NTSC output.

If you do that, the monitor will work, but then the games might not.

Its all a bit of mystery until you start playing around with it.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
antime

Post by antime »

IIRC it's not quite that simple, you have to change the video chip to the NTSC version and change a clock crystal, but at that point you basically have a US machine! I'd really recommend the OP to ask in comp.sys.cbm, there's really nothing those people don't know about the C64.
it290

Post by it290 »

Okay, I admit that most of my C64 games back then were pirate copies, but they did work correctly for the most part. Also keep in mind that a lot of good games are NTSC to begin with. I assume dczx probably won't be playing originals on the machine anyway, so he should be okay.