PSX PAL 50Hz games running 60Hz on PAL console?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
gundamalpha

PSX PAL 50Hz games running 60Hz on PAL console?

Post by gundamalpha »

Does anyone know how to make PAL games for the PSX to run on 60Hz on a PAL PS One? I've some 'rare' PAL titles but is a pain playing them on 50Hz after seeing how smooth its NTSC conterparts are :( I've heard of this PS-X-Change might be the solution, but I'm not sure. Can someone clarify this and where to get them?
Thanks in advance :)
AntiPasta

Post by AntiPasta »

There is a way (using Action Replay codes) to run PAL games in 60hz. Look for a program called "PALPAR".
...and suddenly, a very freaky wormhole opened, and 4 3-foot tall market analysts fell out...
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

News to me. The PS1 is forced into 50hz and 60hz by the game itself. As it is software controlled I doubt there is an over ride. I maybe wrong, but in the day I never came across anything that does what you say.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
antime

Post by antime »

An Action Replay and palpar will work nicely with most games (I used it for some time playing imports at 50Hz until I got a decent TV). If your machine is modded you can make patched copies and avoid some of the hassle.
gundamalpha

Post by gundamalpha »

mine (topic creator) is modded, but i'm not really a fan of backing up games nor pirating so patching doesn't sound right to me. i've tried the PALPAR on 1 game, Vib Ribbon, hook to the monitor through XRGB 2+ and there's some glitches. the speed and framerate seems ok, running on 60Hz, but the game display is squeezed at the top while the bottom half is all glitches. i couldn't try my other PAL games as i don't have them with me now (at least for 3 months) as i'm overseas.
so is the glitch normal for this game? there are three possible codes i could access with this game, one is the opening (60Hz with glitch at this point only), second during game (60Hz with glitch at this point only) and the third is nothing happen at all. other ntsc games i've tried only give me one possible PALPAR code, but i've never tried them to run the games on 50Hz.
antime

Post by antime »

Vib Ribbon is PAL-optimized, so it's possible it won't work properly at 60Hz. The game seems to use three separate executables (intro, main game, tutorial?), normally you only have to bother with the file listed in system.cnf.
About the screen position in general, the codes will position the screen as high as it can go, which is partly outside the screen on many TVs. Some games contain an option to position the screen, or you can use the TVs adjustment features if it has them. IIRC you could modify the codes to place the screen properly, but I don't remember how to do it.