S-Video on Genesis...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware

S-Video on Genesis...

Post by Guest »

Is it actually possible to play Sega Genesis on an S-Video hookup, save for modding your system or shelling out a crapload of cash for one of those JVC X-Eye systems on ebay? I have two AV cables for Genesis, the picture doesn't come in much better than RF on either of them. The picture on the first level of Sagaia comes out all blurry, as all the shades of red seem to blend together. This makes the game that much more difficult.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Moved to Hardware.
it290

Post by it290 »

It's possible, but you'll need a modified system. Genesis model 3's with the Sony video chip are the best for this, and are the easiest mod as well, although early model 1's (the ones without TMSS) will work as well. I have a modified model 1 and it looks great.. huge improvement over composite.
azmun

Re: S-Video on Genesis...

Post by azmun »

Dark Saibot wrote:Is it actually possible to play Sega Genesis on an S-Video hookup, save for modding your system or shelling out a crapload of cash for one of those JVC X-Eye systems on ebay? I have two AV cables for Genesis, the picture doesn't come in much better than RF on either of them. The picture on the first level of Sagaia comes out all blurry, as all the shades of red seem to blend together. This makes the game that much more difficult.
I've been doing quite a bit of research on this. There is actually a way to output s-video on the Sega Genesis/MegaDrive without modding your unit via an external encoder called XMD-2. This adapter converts the raw RGB signal into s-video. I wish I could compare the quality of this approach versus modding your system although I cannot yet at this moment since I don't have any of these options.

However, you might also want to consider that obtaining an XMD-2 can be both expensive not to mention difficult to find.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Yeah, I just got a JROK yesterday for my supergun and was thinking the same thing, since I have the unit in a small box on its own separate from the rest of my supergun.

They're quite readily available (to US and Canada) if you're willing to fork over the money for them.
azmun

Post by azmun »

I've recently hooked up my Genesis on the XMD-2 for s-video output and can say the image quality has improved dramatically (comparable with an RGB SCART connection). It has revitalized my relatively small collection of the many great games this 16-bitter has to offer.

I highly recommend for those that have televisions with this capability to take advantage and upgrade your system too (lots of details can now be appreciated). Since finding one of these device is so difficult (not to mention expensive!), perhaps you can mod your console. One group does this professionally for a more convenient alternative (http://www.oldschoolgamer.ca/)
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

I have the JROK doodad and it works great on my A2000 (the main thing I use it for) and Apple IIGS but not on my model 1 Genesis. The picture was all flickery and had fine vertical stripes. Adjusting the pots on the JROK didn't improve the situation either.

The Saturn has S-Video output on its A/V port, does the Genesis 3 have that same port?
SAM

Post by SAM »

it290 wrote:It's possible, but you'll need a modified system. Genesis model 3's with the Sony video chip are the best for this, and are the easiest mod as well, although early model 1's (the ones without TMSS) will work as well. I have a modified model 1 and it looks great.. huge improvement over composite.
I have opened up my Genesis model 1, but I am completely clueless on how to mod it ... :oops:

How to do it? What do you need? Are you finding somebody to do it for you? :?
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Could someone go into more detail on this X-MD2/JROK thing? From what has been said so far, it sounds like this device might provide anS-Video signal for any device capable of outputting RGB? Is this correct? If so, this might be the best option for getting S-Video from many consoles, as RGB mods are more common than S-Video mods.
SAM

Post by SAM »

bigbadboaz wrote:Could someone go into more detail on this X-MD2/JROK thing? From what has been said so far, it sounds like this device might provide anS-Video signal for any device capable of outputting RGB? Is this correct? If so, this might be the best option for getting S-Video from many consoles, as RGB mods are more common than S-Video mods.
Since the X-MD2 is exclusive for Genesis use, you have to modify it to use for other SCRAT input. :?

Well for this purpose, you don't need the X-MD2 actually. I just bought one of this thing off eBay, it didn't arrive yet. But I think it could do the RGB to S-Video conversion fine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5772741411
matt

Post by matt »

That gadget on Ebay is not an RGB converter - it just provides extra composite and S-Vid intputs on PAL TVs. It won't work with RGB.

I've done a few Genesis S-Video mods, with varying success. One thing that you really can't get around, though, is the vertical line problem. If you look carefully, you'll notice that they're present in the system's composite output - S-Video just makes them sharper and easier to see.
azmun

Post by azmun »

SAM wrote:
bigbadboaz wrote:Could someone go into more detail on this X-MD2/JROK thing? From what has been said so far, it sounds like this device might provide anS-Video signal for any device capable of outputting RGB? Is this correct? If so, this might be the best option for getting S-Video from many consoles, as RGB mods are more common than S-Video mods.
Since the X-MD2 is exclusive for Genesis use, you have to modify it to use for other SCRAT input. :?

Well for this purpose, you don't need the X-MD2 actually. I just bought one of this thing off eBay, it didn't arrive yet. But I think it could do the RGB to S-Video conversion fine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5772741411
Hmm, interesting approach. I've never thought about that but what you got is an adapter, not a converter/encoder (needed to produce the luma and chroma signals) unlike JROK and XMD-2 (which are probably composed of more complex parts). But assuming you've got an s-video and RGB SCART cables plus one of those adapters I'd be really curious to know if it works and see how it outputs on a TV via s-video.
SAM

Post by SAM »

Well, yes I am trying that idea, but one more steps forward. In stead of S-Vedio, I am going Conponents singels... 8)

I bought a RGB to Conponents Converter and a RGB cable, when every things arrive I would see if it works. :)

Details:
http://forum.shmups.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4096

P.S. - I have just built a Mega Drive joystick using a Seimitsu LS-32 and the PBC of my old Mega Drive game pad... I had never been playing so well on the Mega Drive before. :lol: The only complain now is the burr image on the TV screen and my solution is on the way.
SAM

Post by SAM »

ED-057 wrote:I have the JROK doodad and it works great on my A2000 (the main thing I use it for) and Apple IIGS but not on my model 1 Genesis. The picture was all flickery and had fine vertical stripes. Adjusting the pots on the JROK didn't improve the situation either.
That's strange, I got the exact JROK's PCB and it works great on my MegaDrive model 1. It also work fine on my Saturn, PS1 & PS2. I have yet to try any PCBs on it. It does not work on my DreamCast & Super Nintendo...

http://www.jrok.com/hardware/RGB.html

I suggest you check and see if your cable is connect to the correct pin of your Model 1 MD's pinout.

I found some RGB cables connect the Comp Vedio to the Sync output of the Scrat male plug. It should be the Comp Sync instead. If so, you have to correct it yourself.

By the way, the chip's number of the JROK has been removed from the chip by mean of sandpaper. So I cannot find the chip's document to figure out why it doesn't work on my DreamCast & Super Nintendo... Anyone have any clues on why it does not work? Or what chip could it be?
Yes, I think you can modified the X-MD2 to work on other console, but you might need an external 5V DC supply for the X-MD2. As X-MD2 must be drawing power from the MegaDrive's 5V DC pin of the AV port.

As for the JROK, I have already covered that above.
OneEyedJack

Post by OneEyedJack »

I don't know the age of the TV that the original poster is using, but many modern TVs have fantastic comb filtering for composite inputs. I have an inexpensive RCA 27" [Currently $350 CDN] and WOW! older games have NEVER looked this good. 8-bit Nintendo is CRYSTAL CLEAR! [The TV is smart too, by outputting the mono sound thru' both L&R speakers]

Even having said that I don't recommend the RCA brand because my TV has 15% over scan on the left and 5% on the right, which cuts off some of the display on the left for vidgames; on regular TV watching one would never notice.
-Jon in Canada
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

The vertical lines problem is very annoying on the Genesis. It's most noticable on a TV that DOES do comb filering and stuff. on your typical crappy TV, the lines get blurred by the shifting of the fields, so you don't notice as much.

Going RGB instead does eliminate those lines, so ocnverting the RGB signal is the way to go.
superhitachi4

Post by superhitachi4 »

SAM wrote:By the way, the chip's number of the JROK has been removed from the chip by mean of sandpaper. So I cannot find the chip's document to figure out why it doesn't work on my DreamCast & Super Nintendo... Anyone have any clues on why it does not work? Or what chip could it be?
I've never owned a "JROK" (I'm too cheap to buy an overpriced encoder that can be easily built), but I would *guess* that the JROK probably uses a Sony CXA1645 chip. That's a good choice.
BenT

Post by BenT »

I use RGB for my model 1 Genesis and am actually quite annoyed by vertical line artifacts. You say they don't show up in RGB, but I certainly see *something* in areas of solid color. I was wondering if upgrading to a Sega CDX system would fix this.
superhitachi4

Post by superhitachi4 »

I have an svideo modified Genesis 3, and I'm quite satisfied with the picture. Much better than RF or composite. ;)