Playing imports with a US Dreamcast...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
russ

Playing imports with a US Dreamcast...

Post by russ »

I know there was a topic on this at one time, but I think it was on the old forums though...

Anyways, I just wanted to have a clear idea of how it all works for the Dreamcast. I think, from what I understand, the models released in 1999 can effectively play imported DC games without any sort of mod, correct? On the side, does this have anything to do with the re-release of the Dreamcast with the different box (the one with the close-up of the controller and black background)? Can anyone clear this up for me, so I can walk into a store or look on eBay and be able to identify an import friendly one? Thanks in advance!
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

No USA Dreamcast will play any Japanese games unless you have a boot disc or it is modded internally.

I have a boot disc which I don't use, since its a dead machine in the USA I don't need it, might be willing to let it go.

There was something about the very latest machines not being able to read CD's, which meant that boot discs would not load up.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

neorichieb1971 wrote: There was something about the very latest machines not being able to read CD's, which meant that boot discs would not load up.
This urban legand was proven to be wrong, all DC's can read CDR's. Some just loose calibration easier.
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

although it's not 100% the utopia boot disk which is download and burn is more than capable for what most would need for the dc. you just put it in, load up, swap to the import.

dc-x is also a pretty good cheat disk/import player.
nZero

Post by nZero »

Dave_K. wrote:
neorichieb1971 wrote: There was something about the very latest machines not being able to read CD's, which meant that boot discs would not load up.
This urban legand was proven to be wrong, all DC's can read CDR's. Some just loose calibration easier.
By whom? I have a model 2 Dreamcast, and it won't even attempt to load bootdiscs or CD-Rs. GD-ROMs (all regions, thanks to the modchip) and Audio CDs (incl. CD-R) only. Urban legend, my foot.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

http://www.dcemulation.com/article-supported.htm

scroll down to the update on 6/27/04

"It has been determined all models, that were previously thought un-working, infact do work that were in this list. So this concludes that so far, all DC's work :)"
nZero

Post by nZero »

I'd almost be willing to believe that. However, the fact is that the other DC I had loaded bootdiscs and CD-R copies 100% fine. The drive unit on the non CD-R deck has also held up a lot better, so I don't know where this calibration mess is coming from.

CD-R Fail, loads all 95 GD-ROMs:

HKT-3020
Mfg. Dec. 2000
Circle 2
NTSC-U
WK
Made in China

Loads CD-Rs, fails/struggles with certain GD-ROMs:

HKT-3020
Mfg. Dec. 1999
Circle 1
NTSC-U
TK
Made in Japan

For what it's worth, the modchip hasn't affected operation with bootdiscs/backups in the least. It wouldn't mess with them before the install, and it still won't mess with them after (jumps straight to Audio CD player, makes no attempt to boot).

The CDR fail deck was sold as part of the Sonic Bundle. The other one was bought pre-owned and was possibly a launch system.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

nZero - So your Dec.2000 DC is modded? It's interesting since the revised cheaper made one, after Oct.2000, are said to incompatible with modchip.
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

ALL DREAMCAST SYSTEMS THAT WAS MADE BEFORE OCTOBER 2000 WILL LOAD CD-RS!!!
The Bullet Dodger

Post by The Bullet Dodger »

I found that the DC's with the tiny Microsoft Windows logos, right next to the controller ports, are the only ones that can play back-ups and emulators. This logo can only be found on white DC's. The black "sports" DCs do not have them, and therefore cannot read anything but U.S. DC games. I have three DC's; two 1st editions with the logo, and the other is the "sports" edition (black). I have experimented plenty of times in the past, and can tell you that your DC must have the Microsoft logo, or it cannot read any CD-R's. And yes, there are some white DC's that do not have the logo. I think they might be the 2nd editions or something. I don't know.

As far as playing imports on the earlier edition DC's, all I do is throw in the Gamshark CD-X, put in the import, and play away.
Kron

Post by Kron »

The Bullet Dodger wrote:This logo can only be found on white DC's. The black "sports" DCs do not have them.
ALL retail DC's have the Microsoft WinCE logo.
The Bullet Dodger

Kron wrote:
The Bullet Dodger wrote:This logo can only be found on white DC's. The black "sports" DCs do not have them.
ALL retail DC's have the Microsoft WinCE logo.

Woops! You're right. My bad. Still doesn't matter though, cause you still can't do anything with the black models but play regular DC games.
Kron

Post by Kron »

Thats not true though, I have a Sega Sports Black DC and it runs emulators and boot discs without a problem.
The Bullet Dodger

Really? Mine is a piece of shit then. :lol: Oh well. I'm gonna get rid of it anyway.
nZero

Post by nZero »

oxtsu wrote:nZero - So your Dec.2000 DC is modded? It's interesting since the revised cheaper made one, after Oct.2000, are said to incompatible with modchip.
Matt did the trick-- apparently the simplified mainboard isn't incompatible, the solder points just moved. I'll take a movie of the bottom of the DC followed by the booting process if any non-believers remain.

Aside from the mainboard simplification, the only thing I found to be "cheaper" in the newer model was the power board. Because of this I retrofitted it with an older model DC power board, no problems since. If anything, the drive unit seems more resilient (and a bit quieter; not that it matters as the system fan is still noisy). The older model has been quite a bit less reliable for me :x
Blade

Post by Blade »

Here's a question with regard to Dreamcast, I heard something somewhere about there being software for homebrew games? Any info on possible software libraries?
The world would be a better place if there were less shooters and more dot-eaters.

Jesus' BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS:
1. Pure, Mournful, Humble Heart
2. Merciful Peacemaker
3. Suffer for Righteous Desire
icepick

Post by icepick »

Blade wrote:Here's a question with regard to Dreamcast, I heard something somewhere about there being software for homebrew games? Any info on possible software libraries?
That's a good question!

-For the Development forum! :lol:

(and *cough*?)
\\ /\/\ \
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

google dchomebrew and look for beats of rage. some quality homebrew available that comes in iso format ready to burn with alcohol 120