Modded PS2 not playing imports anymore

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
username

Modded PS2 not playing imports anymore

Post by username »

As blasphemous as this may sound to some, I took about a 6 month break from basically all of my import games recently, as my free time was cut down and I had interesting enough domestic titles to play with. When I did put in an import during that period of time, it was often a pain to get it to work, sometimes taken a few dozen attempts to get it to catch. Oddly enough, it still and has always played import movie dvds fine. I've been trying to get it to play some jp PS2 titles for the past few days with no luck whatsoever. I figured enough people here have modded PS2s, so if anyone knows whats up it would be here.

It is a modded US PS2, modded with the... DMS3 chip I believe.
The reddish "put PS2 disk in the system" message is the one that always pops up after trying to read the disk.
All domestic titles work fine, both dvd and cd, PS2 and PS1.
All region movie dvds work fine.
I have done no updates or anything else to the system once it had been modded.
I did not do the modding myself.

Any help or tips would be appreciated. Thanks.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Have you ever tried getting one of those CD Lens cleaner discs...you pop in the disc and the brushes on it clean the lens if it's dirty. I had a similar problem with my American PS2 where only the DVD player was working....try that, and if it still doesn't work...I dunno.
The world would be a better place if there were less shooters and more dot-eaters.

Jesus' BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS:
1. Pure, Mournful, Humble Heart
2. Merciful Peacemaker
3. Suffer for Righteous Desire
visuatrox

Post by visuatrox »

Maybe one of the wires have got loose.. Have you also tried disconnecting the system from the current for a while? (if you normally have it on standby).
username

Post by username »

I unplug my system when it's not being used, as I need the outlet for other systems and such. I'll try giving the lens cleaner a shot, as even if it doesn't work it's probably a good thing to have anyways.
username

Post by username »

Eh, nothing seems to be working as far as fixing it goes. I guess I'll just bite the bullet and pick up an actual Japanese PS2 in the near future. Thanks for the suggestions anyways.
awc

Post by awc »

I have a question that sort of relates to this topic and rather than creating a new tread, I figured I would ask my question here.

I have read that the Slim PSTwo has a sensitive laser. Is it safe to get it modded with the DMS4 chip in order to play import originals or do I run the risk of a DRE in the near future?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

awc wrote:I have a question that sort of relates to this topic and rather than creating a new tread, I figured I would ask my question here.

I have read that the Slim PSTwo has a sensitive laser. Is it safe to get it modded with the DMS4 chip in order to play import originals or do I run the risk of a DRE in the near future?
The PStwo laser is very sensitive to modding. Here's one proposed fix:

http://web02063.prolocation.net/phpBB2/index.php

Some modders are doing similar laser fixes, but consensus is that if possible one should get an earlier PS2 as they're more reliable. Even then, the laser is sensitive. I don't use CD-Rs as they put high stress on the laser. And I only use high-quality DVD-Rs burned at 2x. I have a DMS3 installed and so far my 2-year-old modded PS2 is working like a charm.

Simplest solution is to purchase a Japanese PS2 or PStwo.
awc

Post by awc »

Cugel wrote:
awc wrote:I have a question that sort of relates to this topic and rather than creating a new tread, I figured I would ask my question here.

The PStwo laser is very sensitive to modding. Here's one proposed fix:

http://web02063.prolocation.net/phpBB2/index.php

Some modders are doing similar laser fixes, but consensus is that if possible one should get an earlier PS2 as they're more reliable. Even then, the laser is sensitive. I don't use CD-Rs as they put high stress on the laser. And I only use high-quality DVD-Rs burned at 2x. I have a DMS3 installed and so far my 2-year-old modded PS2 is working like a charm.

Simplest solution is to purchase a Japanese PS2 or PStwo.
Thanks for the info.

I wanted to reduce the amount of console I have but I'm probably better off keeping my JP PS2. It seems as though many people are having problems with DMS4 and SLim PSTwo's.