Can you Tate any LCD TV?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Pedro Lambrini

Can you Tate any LCD TV?

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Just as the title asks! CAn you Tate all LCD TVs? I presume you can but I don't want to buy one jsut in case I buy the only one that won't work!! :)
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Since there is no heavy picture tube with magnets directing a beam, all the tate issues do not apply to LCDs.

Of course you may want to try and get one that has a stand that allows for easy rotating. I know there are some computer LCD stands that do this, but I've never seen an LCDTV stand that does it.
Last edited by Dave_K. on Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Personally I wouldn't get an LCD TV, IMO the picture quality is just terrible.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

mannerbot wrote:Personally I wouldn't get an LCD TV, IMO the picture quality is just terrible.
Yeah, but you get 15khz input (and most likely RGB input at that!). The only reason why it might look worse is because you are used to seeing higher resolution on these screens.
Pedro Lambrini

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

It's mostly a space issue. I stay in a shared flat and all my stuff (and there's a lot of it!) is all in one room...

Do you think the picture is so bad? I'm looking at either a 17" widescreen LCD TV (16ms) or a 14" CRT. But even a 14" CRT will take up quite a bit of storage!
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Yeah, LCD screens really take the vibrancy of colors out of the games compared to CRTs.

If you plan on playing both horiz and verts on that TV, you may as well get the LCD though since tateing will be an annoying hassle on the CRT.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

If you get one with a rotating base, beware!
Most of them rotate 90 degrees clockwise. It's not as much of a problem for some newer games supporting this vertical screen mode, but for a lot of games I am still forced to play yoko since the tate mode expects a 90 degrees counterclockwise rotation.
WheePenPen

Post by WheePenPen »

if you have $600 to spare an LG L1980Q would be perfect. it's a 19" lcd with an 8ms response time and rotates 360 degrees =O. im basing the price off of the best buy website. vga and dvi inputs only, so you'll need an upscan converter for it if you want to connect a console to it.

EDIT: woops just realized u wanted a LCD TV... nevermind...