Is it possible to play a PS2 on a computer monitor?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Tomtom

Is it possible to play a PS2 on a computer monitor?

Post by Tomtom »

Just wondering if there was any kind of fancy adapter that allows for compatibility. I'm thinking of getting a PS2 with my tax refund, but my area's kinda small at the moment and I don't think a new TV would be the best option, not to mention the fact that a monitor would probably be clearer picture-wise.

Thanks,
-Tom
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

You'd need an upscan converter. XRGB2 is the best one on the market.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

This makes me wonder...

When I ordered a GameCube VGA cable from Matt last year, I requested RGB compatibility so non-progressive games can be played on my 1084s. He made the cable in two parts - the first part plugs into the GameCube's ports and ends in a 15-pin d-sub. I can hook my 1084's master cable to that for RGB. The rest of the GC cable hooks onto the 15-pin d-sub and ends in the VGA standard (and a stereo miniplug for sound).

Now, my question is, can the PS2 do progressive scan via the RGB output option? If so, I might have myself a PS2 VGA cable (using the 2nd part of the GC cable), but I'll have to get a progressive-compatible PS2 game to test it. Maybe I'll rent MegaMan X8 sometime.
antime

Post by antime »

Blaze make a VGA adapter that comes with a bootdisc that forces VGA output in games. Unfortunately its compatibility is very limited, and you usually get artifacts even when it works.
parodius

Post by parodius »

There's a modchip called O2Mod that can force VGA output.
I've got my PS2 modded, but have yet to buy/make a VGA cable.
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
WheePenPen

Post by WheePenPen »

if ur main concern is a ps2, i hear hori's upscan converter 2 works really well. you can get it from ncsx or play-asia. no progressive scan though and it's around $70.
Platypus[gEc]

Post by Platypus[gEc] »

Any VGA box will do
My comp has a TV card, so i don't even need any of that stuff...link
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Platypus[gEc] wrote:Any VGA box will do
Ummmm...no it won't. All of those cheap $20-$40 vga boxes look like utter crap. Thats why I recommended the XRGB2, if a sharp picture is what you are after.