Commodore 1080 Monitor Tate? UPDATE: Actually 1702 monitor

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dczx

Commodore 1080 Monitor Tate? UPDATE: Actually 1702 monitor

Post by dczx »

Hi,

I just got Ikaruga for my Dreamcast and I tated my 1080 Commodore monitor. Is there any difference between this and a TV? It's working just fine, with no color loss or anything, I just want to make sure I'm not damaging it.

thanks
Last edited by dczx on Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Nah, it'll be fine. I have a tated 1084 sitting a few feet away from me, and it's been sitting there on its side for almost two years. No problems, except for what was wrong with it when I bought it. :?

It's really the next best thing to having a real arcade monitor. You done good.
Neon

Post by Neon »

In the case of Ikaruga it would be better to use a VGA monitor + DC VGA box, but your 1080 should survive on its side :wink:
dczx

Post by dczx »

thanks for the help. it looks great. For the first few minutes I just sat there dumbfounded at seeing a monitor like that!

Can you do the same thing with a VGA?

thanks
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Yeah, you can tate a computer monitor.
Neon

Post by Neon »

You need to buy a VGA box for your Dreamcast ($10) but yeah, tateable and looks great :)
it290

Post by it290 »

VGA monitors are even easier to tate since you can just hit the degauss button and the colors should clear up.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Outta curiosity, what do you use to hook your DC up to the monitor? I have a 1084, but when I use the regular AV cables (the red/white/yellow wires) to hook my DC up to it, it'll only display in B+W...up till now I've heard that you need a custom-made cable to make it display in color, and the one guy around here who make them apparently isn't around here any more. Figures.
it290

Post by it290 »

Not all 1084s are the same, but most can be switched between Y/C and composite mode. If you're only getting black and white, try pressing the button on the back of the monitor (I think it says CVBS or something).
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

I've had my 1084 as a permanent vert monitor for over a year now with zero problems. The cables were made by MIA Matt.
Brian

Post by Brian »

The 1084 is awesome. I prefer to play with an XRGB, but most of the time I am forced to play on the 1084. It's amazing that Commodore put out a better monitor 20+ years ago than most manufacturers today.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

it290 wrote:Not all 1084s are the same, but most can be switched between Y/C and composite mode. If you're only getting black and white, try pressing the button on the back of the monitor (I think it says CVBS or something).
I've tried messing around with that, and it doesn't seem to help...someone on the old forum mentioned that somehow the AV cable couldn't get the color through to the monitor, or something like that...the long and the short of it is that apparently I need a customized thing to hook anything up to it and make it play in color. I'm wondering if dczx is using one of those or something else.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Philips CM8533 works great as a tate-monitor, too.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
it290

Post by it290 »

I've tried messing around with that, and it doesn't seem to help...someone on the old forum mentioned that somehow the AV cable couldn't get the color through to the monitor, or something like that...the long and the short of it is that apparently I need a customized thing to hook anything up to it and make it play in color. I'm wondering if dczx is using one of those or something else.
Eh, you should be able to get it in color with just composite. There are four RCA jacks on the back, right? Did you try plugging the cable in to the others? I remember my 1084S would display in b/w too when using the composite jack if I didn't have the right combination of jack and switches set.
Neon

Post by Neon »

bulletmagnet: Just buy a Dreamcast scart cable and rewire it to the 1084 spec. I did it with one for the saturn, and it was easy. Gonna make one for my dreamcast too.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

it290 wrote:Eh, you should be able to get it in color with just composite. There are four RCA jacks on the back, right?
Nope, just one set of three red/yellow/white holes...all the other inputs require specifically-made-for-the-monitor cables, as far as I can tell...
bulletmagnet: Just buy a Dreamcast scart cable and rewire it to the 1084 spec.
I'm way too tech illiterate (and clumsy) to try something like that...maybe I oughta just sell the monitor I have and look for one like it290 has.
PC Engine Fan X!

The Amiga 1080 was Japanese manufactured by 2 companies...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

If you do a Google search on the specs and techincal lowdown on the original Commodore Amiga 1080 RGB monitor, you'll find out that it was the only Commodore RGB monitor to be Japanese manufactured by one of either two companies: Toshiba or (I forget the other one).

I've been thinking of modding a regular S-Video cable to output to two regular Composite RCA video output jacks so I may play some of my Jamma PCBs in S-Video via the 1080 monitor. There's a diagram of a S-Video output on http://www.gamesx.com -- an arcade/console techincal site.

When Matt was available on the old Shmups.com forums, he would preach the virtues of using an analog RGB monitor for all your console and Jamma PCBs. He also has said that using an Amiga 1080 monitor looks much better than a full-sized arcade monitor when playing Jamma PCBs type of games on it on his Supergun website.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
dczx

Post by dczx »

Okay, I made a mistake! I'm terribly sorry. I wrote this late at night. I think I used to have a 1080 for my Amiga, but I got rid of it. The one I'm using now is a Commodore 1702 for the original C64's. It has front RCA hookups and in the back are the weird CHROMA and LUMA. I hook the Dreamcast up to the front and my C64 up to the back. (yah, still have a C64, heh) There's a switch between the two.
BulletMagnet wrote:Outta curiosity, what do you use to hook your DC up to the monitor? I have a 1084, but when I use the regular AV cables (the red/white/yellow wires) to hook my DC up to it, it'll only display in B+W...up till now I've heard that you need a custom-made cable to make it display in color, and the one guy around here who make them apparently isn't around here any more. Figures.
it290

Post by it290 »

Nope, just one set of three red/yellow/white holes...all the other inputs require specifically-made-for-the-monitor cables, as far as I can tell...
Okay, actually three jacks is right for a 1084... the 1084S (stereo) has four. If you have the video input plugged into the yellow jack currently, try plugging it into the red and fiddling with that switch in the back.
kemical

Post by kemical »

BulletMagnet wrote:Outta curiosity, what do you use to hook your DC up to the monitor? I have a 1084, but when I use the regular AV cables (the red/white/yellow wires) to hook my DC up to it, it'll only display in B+W...
For composite you just hook up the yellow, middle input on the 1084, then on the front the switch is set to composite (comp, sep, rgb are the choices on front)
if you wanted s-video the front would be set to 'sep' for seperate, and it will cause your picture to go into black and white, because it requires a second cable plugged in on the back, on the bottom red input, 'chroma', for that to work right you need an s-video source, and a cable that splits the 4 pin s-video plug into 2 seperate wires, one for chroma, and one for luma.
that cable is really easy to make if you have an extra s-video and a male-male rca style video cable around to use.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I tried fiddling around with the monitor again; no luck. The only way I can get any picture at all on it (namely, the b+w one) is to put the yellow wire into the yellow jack and have both switches set to "CVBS." The only two settings on any of my monitor's switches are that and "RGB."

I really do think I oughta sell this monitor and get another one.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

No, don't sell it just yet. You need to get an RGB cable made. That's the best part about those monitors, anyway. I think Neon might be willing to take up the project. Last I heard, he was making his own.

Also, ask around at gamesx.com forums, surely there's someone there who'd make a custom RGB cable for you (for a price, of course).
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Matt is not MIA, he will do the cables for you.

I think his email is thematthew@yahoo.ca or something like that.

Look him up on Ebay (RGBMATT) and contact him that way. I did this recently and he made me 6 XRGB2+ cables and told me that if anybody wanted anything to give his contact info out.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
zimeon

Post by zimeon »

Hm... My Amiga monitor says 1081... is this the same monitor, then?
Enthusiasm without skill
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Just in case anyone was interested in knowing, I've been in contact with Matt and he is going to make an RGB cable for me. Thanks to everyone who helped me find him! I'll hafta let you know how the cable works' once it gets here, as I haven't been able to play anything in tate before this. :D