Wrap your mind around THIS! (arcade)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
dpful

Wrap your mind around THIS! (arcade)

Post by dpful »

I've had a fantasy of playing some playstation games on the arcade machine- I could just make an adapter, but I want it to be like real arcade hardware, you know, like my Strider 2 and G-Darius. I want arcade Einhander and R-Type Delta!!! Anyways, (I don't know anything about this stuff) I've thought that surely you could just burn chips of the game and find some way to hack the addresses or something and make it work on one of those playstation like boards (I can't remember what they're called right now and system16.com is down, you know, the z-80 or something like that).
But then it occured to me that maybe the G-net would work! The games are already on those funky computer cards, so you wouldn't even have to burn chips.

So what is it? Can it be done? Does anyone of you know about this stuff? Could anyone possibly hack/make an Einhander cart to play on the G-net??? Anyone know???
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

The easier thing to do is just put the Playstation inside a cabinet, and hook up the RGB outputs to the monitor.

The controls you can do by wiring up the microswitches to the PS1 controller PCB.

You'll be playing the same game, so it's not like you need to do any mad reprogramming...

An even easier thing is to just buy/build a PS1-compatible joystick and play it on your TV. The only difference here is it's not housed inside a cabinet.
dpful

Post by dpful »

I know, I'm not to concerned about the easiness of the idea, I'd really just like to have a hardware version of Einhander- I know it's not neccessary to make to have fun playing the game. You know, I obsess about that stuff. (I've always been working on things like that- you know stuff like soldering billions of wires to things just to make stupid switches work rather than just changing plugs)

Anyways, the idea of playstation mods for G-net's is ultra compelling to me. Anyone have any other ideas or knowledge about this?
dpful

Post by dpful »

It's getting clearer to me--
A playstation emulator, designed to run on the g-net hardware, that you can copy, with the game rom, onto one of those computer cards the g-net uses. WOW! Maybe you could put on multiple games.
I'm going to ask around at emulation forums about this, does anyone know of any I should check? I'm not talking crappy emu forums, I'm talking about places where people who can make this stuff hang out.
nZero

Post by nZero »

dpful wrote:It's getting clearer to me--
A playstation emulator, designed to run on the g-net hardware, that you can copy, with the game rom, onto one of those computer cards the g-net uses. WOW! Maybe you could put on multiple games.
I'm going to ask around at emulation forums about this, does anyone know of any I should check? I'm not talking crappy emu forums, I'm talking about places where people who can make this stuff hang out.
http://www.bannister.org/ubb/ultimatebb ... forum;f=24

^ worth a shot.
raiden

Post by raiden »

in theory, this could work, but I guess some reprogramming would be needed as G.Net and Playstation hardware aren´t identical, some addresses will be different etc.
also, I´d examine the game you want to port more closely before starting out. Converting music from CD to cartridge is going to be a PITA anyway, but if it also uses streaming techniques (Einhander being the typical suspect), the matter can get much more complicated.
The amount of work needed to make such a project work would surely put me off, but if you pursue it, I´d be glad to hear a few updates occasionally, because the idea surely is intriguing.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

I'm starting to understand what you're getting at too. At first I thought all you wanted to do was to play a PS1 game in an arcade cabinet.

The emulator idea might be feasible, however you'd need a *perfect* PS1 emulator coded for that particular hardware (G-net for example) and then have the emulator and PS1 disc image or whatever loaded on a G-net flash cartridge (and if those don't exist, again you'll have to design your own).

I don't know if the G-net would be powerful enough to handle the overhead of running a PS1 emulator full speed (without reprogramming the PS1 game).
Maybe you can try for Naomi cartridge instead? Since the hacked bleem for Dreamcast runs Einhander reasonably well...
PC Engine Fan X!

You'd have to use a flash PCMCIA Type 2 cartridge...

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I've seen some PCMCIA Type II notebook adapters that use memory storage like the Sony Memory Stick media/Compact Flash or IBM's MicroDrive/SD memory cards formats...keep in mind that the typical Tatio G-Card can hold up to a maximum of 320 MB of data. Or a flash PCMCIA Type II cartridge would be needed to upload data into the Taito G-Net motherboard. I've seen the 4 GB JVC MicroDrives out now.

It would seem that a special "flash" Taito G-Card would be needed to try out various self-created demos that were created on a notebook PC and then downloaded to the special "flash" G-Card via a PCMCIA Type II reader/writer interface.

One would think would it be possible for a mega Taito G-Card (say a 1, 2, 3 or 4 GB maximum) flash cartridge to store all the released Taito G-Card games and select from a "main menu" your favorite G-Card game to play with.

You could contact Taito themselves and ask if they still sell Taito developer's kits. That would defenitely get the "ball" rolling on as to develope new tricks for the ol' Taito G-Net mobo to be able to play hacked PSX games on it.

Some Taito G-Cards do save data on the cartridge themselves for posterity for high scores, replays, etc.

I believe the very last Taito G-Card game to be released was by the name of Kollon, a puzzler-type genre game anyways (was recently released for the Japanese PSP format).

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~