Can you put a computer monitor in a cab?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Dewclaw

Can you put a computer monitor in a cab?

Post by Dewclaw »

I don't mean with MAME, I mean interfacin the computer monitor with the cabinet so you can play actual pcbs on it. See, I have an old standup cab that needs a 19" monitor but I can't find anyplace to buy one around here and if I got it online the shipping would be nuts.

Has anyone run across a tutorial for doing somethin like this? :?
zakk

Post by zakk »

No, most (if not all) "computer" monitors will not take 15khz video signals, so you won't be able to play most PCBs with a direct swap.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

19" monitors are not that expensive and neither is the shipping.. probably about $50. You can get them at Wells Gardner or at arcadeshop.com

States its for cocktails only, but I see no reason why you couldn't put it in a standup.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
kemical

Post by kemical »

the computer monitors that can display 15khz signals, like the nec multisync II, a common one, are generally really cheap since it;s old stuff, but you would end up with a picture that looks very similar to mame, except slightly fuzzy compared to modern monitors, plus I think the nec ones are only 14 or 15" :oops:

...I'm not entirely sure if this is correct, but I think it's possible to take a tv apart and feed the r g b sync & ground right into it, bypassing the tuner and stuff for dealing with composite video / etc.. it would take a bit of looking around at the circuits inside though. although even if thats true it's much easier to just get an arcade monitor since it would be ready for mounting easily and good to go.