Help me save my cab.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Dewclaw

Help me save my cab.

Post by Dewclaw »

This technically isn't a shmup but it is hardware so tell me if I'm in the wrong place.

Okay, I've had this Silent Scope cab for a few years now. About a year and a half ago it started acting funny, as in the game would power on to the copyright screen, then crash and start over again. The problem is I know roughly jack shit about cabinet maintenance and I don't know what to do. Everything else seems to be fine, but maybe this is some sort of voltage problem. Check out the pics....The poor thing is dirty as hell, but its been in my garage for a long time now.

http://img99.exs.cx/img99/4498/sc1copy2fk.jpg
This is about as far as I get when I power on.

http://img99.exs.cx/img99/4169/sc20gw.jpg
See those white bars in the top corner? Sometimes it just covers in static and sometimes the bars cover the screen, but everytime it just resets the game.

http://img99.exs.cx/img99/7609/psu3ih.jpg
Finally, heres the power supply. The flash kinda covered the sticker but it says: 110VAC / 7A / 47-63Hz

Then there's a slider right above the cord that was set on 110 and can also go to 120 I believe(i've never powered it on with it set on that though) Then beside the switch is a doohickey that says 5 AMP.

----------------------------------------

Is this a voltage problem, do you think? Can I fix this myself? Its heartbreakin to see the cabinet collecting dust everytime I walk in the garage. Thanks for looking.
Dewclaw

Post by Dewclaw »

OKAY, I've figured out the problem, sort of...it's the sniper rifle attachment. I thought back to when the game first conked out, and I remembered that the demo was working fine till I rotated the gun a bit. So, this time I disconnected the bundle of wires going to the gun and start button, and the thing starts up fine. So....there must be some problem with a wire in the gun part, or somethin. Maybe I can somehow replace all the wires, but I'm not exactly sure what kind of wires I need :?
dpful

Post by dpful »

I'd just check those wires for a short or touching parts. Sometimes games will reset if the wrong thing touches. Also check to see if the coin switch is stuck on- games reset with that sometimes, too, (although it usually says "coin error" when it does).
also, don't flip the pwer supply switch- the other one says 220 for europe.
Dewclaw

Post by Dewclaw »

Okay, I unclipped a mess of wires inside the cab and like you said, a rat or something messed up alot of wires. Still, I've fixed all of them and it's still not working--the game powers up now, the scope works fine, but when I move the gun the crosshairs don't move.

So I saw a couple wires that said "1P Digital In" or something like that and they had been cut in half. I fixed those, thinking that it was definately the problem, but still no joy. The only thing I can think of is that the potentiometers(little dealies that read when the gears turn from rotating the gun I guess) are kaput, so I'm gonna call Konami's distribution guys in NJ and see if they'll sell me a couple. If THAT doesn't work then I'm screwed.
dpful

Post by dpful »

I wouldn't guess they had pots in the gun- I'd guess it was a real "light" gun- in which case, the gun must not be connected properly. Can the light sensors in those break? Double check all wires coming out of the guns (I don't really know how those work, but I imagine that with potentiometers, the gun would get crooked)
Dewclaw

Post by Dewclaw »

No, I don't believe it's a real light gun in the sense that it bounces signals off the screen like a Zapper, if that's what you mean...the only lens on the gun is the scope, and its only pointing toward the player(ie. the other end of the scope is just plastic) As far as I can see the gun is connected properly, although there's a tiny chance that some wires attached to it are messed up too. I can't check them cause the screws on the cover leading to the gun wires are completely stripped and I can't get the mothers off. :x I'll mess around with it a bit more before I try to order potentiometers though.