Are the DC VGA boxes worth getting?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
BUHA

Are the DC VGA boxes worth getting?

Post by BUHA »

I've never really seen one in action, but it sounds like a great idea, and my monitor is tateable, unlike my TV. Are the ~$15 ones on playasia or lik-sang worth getting? does it work on every game? i heard about it not working on certain games or something like that. is there any additional hardware i need that i'm not aware of?

thanks for the help!
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

It does not work with every single game. If it does work the game will have a symbol on the back of the game case stating its compatibilities. One of them is the VGA adaptor symbol.

The adaptor comes with everything you need. To get sound though, you have to reroute some RCA/L+R leads to a stereo system if your monitor does not accept L+R inputs for sound.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
it290

Post by it290 »

It's well worth getting. The difference in picture quality is incredible, especially for games with a lot of detail like Rez, Ikaruga, Grandia 2, Propeller Arena, etc. Plus if you get a box with a pass-through, you won't have to worry about turning yoru PC on and off to connect/disconnect cables.

In general, the only games that won't work with it are those that use true low-res mode, like Gunbird 2 and Bangai-O. Also, 2d fighters don't look that great, because the jaggy sprites become much more apparent. Guilty Gear X looks incredible, though.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

If you also have an HDTV that takes VGA, you'll be amazed at the beautiful picture.

Waiting for thread to be moved to off topic in 3.. 2... 1... :wink:
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Specineff wrote:Waiting for thread to be moved to off topic in 3.. 2... 1... :wink:
You mean to Hardware :wink:

on-topic: DC VGA is stunning on a good quality monitor.
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

I have this one from Play-Asia ($16.90):

http://tinyurl.com/6pedl

It works well. It doesn't have a pass-through but it's no big deal to me. I have it hooked up to one of my LCD monitors. The colors are vivid and the details in a game like Ikaruga or Border Down are fantastic. Definitely a good investment.
snap monkey

Post by snap monkey »

Cugel wrote:I have this one from Play-Asia ($16.90):

http://tinyurl.com/6pedl

It works well. It doesn't have a pass-through but it's no big deal to me. I have it hooked up to one of my LCD monitors. The colors are vivid and the details in a game like Ikaruga or Border Down are fantastic. Definitely a good investment.
I own the exact same thing. It's cheap and it rules.
BUHA

Post by BUHA »

great! thanks for the help, guys. I don't have an HDTV but my dad has one, and i'll be back there in the summer, so it'd probably be worth it just for that. And i don't really NEED the pass through, it'd be nice but i'm sure it'd be a lot more expensive.

thanks for the help, everybody.

i'll have to get the one mentioned earlier with my birthday money.
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

I've got one and it doesn't seem to work for some reason, but I'm using a PAL DC, and the light on the box doesn't seem to come on :(