Sega Virtua Stick + converters

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
it290

Sega Virtua Stick + converters

Post by it290 »

Hey all,

So I've been lusting after one of those newfangled Virtua Sticks for the PS2. However, I want to be able to use it on multiple systems, not just the PS/PS2. I'm sure it'll work okay with my PS2->USB converter, but I have other converters for hooking PS2 controllers to other systems such as the Dreamcast, Gamecube, and even Neo Geo (not that I'd use it with that, but..). I'm wondering if it'll work okay with some of those adapters since it's a digital only controller. Anyone had any experience with this or similar (Hori RAPs, etc)? If it does work, I'll likely end up buying other converters for systems such as the Saturn (ironic, I know), SNES and Genesis, all of which are the same brand as the Neo Geo adapter that I have.
Neon

Post by Neon »

I use an innovation brand adapter to use my saturn pad and Hori RAP on my dreamcast and it works excellently. Has a VMU slot too.

What adapter are you planning on using for Saturn? I've been looking for one that will accept the HRAP's d-pad equivalent signal...dunno the proper term!
it290

Post by it290 »

This one:
http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?catego ... ts_id=3463&

Again, I'm not sure if it will work. It mentions analog support, so that's not necessarily a good sign. I have an adapter for Neo-Geo that is almost exactly the same as that one, and it does work with the Dual Shock 2's dpad with analog switched off.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Hey guys,

I have that Saturn Classics Converter and it converts the Namco PSX stick and the Street Fighter Anniversary stick just fine. That's 2-for-2 on digital controllers here.

it290, not to crap on your idea, but why are you looking at that particular stick? You mention the HRAP, and by all accounts that stick is far superior, as are regular Hori sticks. I had the original Saturn Virtua Stick and didn't care for it. It felt very stiff compared to the Sanwa sticks it is modeled after. The guys at the Shoryuken forum have been ripping on it pretty harshly as well. I wonder if you might be happier just going with the HRAP?
Neon

Post by Neon »

I have that Saturn Classics Converter and it converts the Namco PSX stick and the Street Fighter Anniversary stick just fine. That's 2-for-2 on digital controllers here.
Big thanks :) I'll order one then.
it290

Post by it290 »

Yeah, maybe I should go for a HRAP instead. The Virtua Stick is just styled so nicely, though. Of course, that's worthless if it doesn't play well. Thanks for the info, I'll definitely do more research before I order anything.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

bigbadboaz wrote:I had the original Saturn Virtua Stick and didn't care for it. It felt very stiff compared to the Sanwa sticks it is modeled after.
It's modeled after Seimitsu LS-33, not Sanwa. Quite naturally it has more tension feeling.
Tychom

Post by Tychom »

Does anyone have one of these sticks yet?

I ask in order that someone cansatisfy my curiosity. I had a quick look at one of these in a store recently (just a quick waggle on the stick), it didnt feel like the original Virtua Stick as I remember it, it was much less stiff (i.e. it was better), can't really comment on the buttons.

So, anyone tried one yet?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

If you're looking for classic console adapters, then try Tototek:

http://tinyurl.com/4fqmk

I purchased the Megadrive/Genesis adapter that works like a charm with my HORI RAP. I'm ordering the Saturn adapter. It's cheaper to buy the adapters from Tototek than Lik-Sang or Play-Asia. With air shipping to the US, it comes to be $19 and some change.

It's safe to order from them. I purchased a Megadrive flash cart from them and it works like a charm.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Tychom wrote:Does anyone have one of these sticks yet?
I've had a Sega Virtua Stick HSS-0136, converted for Xbox use, for probably a year now. I can't see how any shmup fan could say a bad word against the HSS-0136, except maybe the high price for the PS2 model. I've actually bought a second Xbox one recently, and will probably buy a third eventually, probably the PS2 model.

My HSS-0136 is probably the only stick I will ever need in my life, exactly like I remember the best arcade controls being like back in the late 80s. Everything from Twin Cobra to Xain'D Sleena to Double Dragon, the feel is 100% there with no shortcomings. You can really treat these sticks harsh too. GREAT button feel and layout too for every kind of Mame game out there (except analogs of course).

The only thing to be careful of with the Virtua Sticks, is that they don't seem to come calibrated the same way. I bought two of the Xbox ones and one of them has quite a lot more resistance in the stick than the other. I'd be interested in seeing a site that explains how to adjust and calibrate these sticks, so I can get my 2nd stick as comfortable as my first one.

By comparison my newer PS2 Hori Fighting Stick 2 is a P.O.S. when played back-to-back with a Virtua Stick HSS-0136. Since the Hori FS2 was Hori's state-of-the-art consumer stick for ps2 right before their HRAP, I am definitely bitter about its lack of quality. The fact that their loose stick feel makes them easier to execute certain fighting game moves, is fair enough, but I have to ask without good buttons what's the point. The buttons they sold on the Hori FS2 are particularly awful, requiring far too much sustained pressure to register "on" and being almost impossible to consistently hit multiple buttons simultaneously with precision.

Summary of Sega Virtua Stick HSS-0136 vs Hori Fighting Stick 2

Button feel:
Virtua Stick HSS-0136 - Awesome for all games
Hori Fighting Stick 2 - Crap for all games

Stick feel:
Virtua Stick HSS-0136 - Awesome for old school arcade games, good for modern "loose Sanwa style" fighting games
Hori Fighting Stick 2 - Mediocre for old school arcade games, best for modern "loose Sanwa style" fighting games

I'll refrain from commenting on the RARP since I didn't buy one, but as long as Hori keep designing their sticks around modern fighting games, I don't think they'll be the #1 choice for classic gamers who want that late 80s Japanese arcade feel.

Disclaimer: These comments are based on the original HSS-0136. Sega actually repainted the HSS-0136 for PS2 with a new color scheme, so it is not impossible that they might have changed something inside too.
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
it290

Post by it290 »

I'm not sure about this, but I believe the original Virtua Stick was made by Hori and Sega just branded it, and I think Sega is actually manufacturing the new ones. I'm definitely tempted, but I'd like to get some feedback from someone who's actually used one. I did read some negative posts on SRK, but honestly I think some of those guys have their heads up their asses.

There is also a USB Virtua Stick with the original color scheme available; I'm not interested in that model, but I wonder if it's the same internally as the PS2 one?
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

it290 wrote:I'm not sure about this, but I believe the original Virtua Stick was made by Hori
One thing to be vary of, is you might come across websites offering Sega Virtua Sticks for Saturn, and people making negative comments about Virtua Sticks, but they actually refer to another product that was branded as a "virtua stick" in North America, namely this:
http://www.videogamedeals.com/images/VirtuaStick.jpg

I don't know what that thing is, but it's not even remotely anything like a HSS-0136. It kind of looks like a Hori so maybe that's what you're referring to above.
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
it290

Post by it290 »

No, I wasn't referring to that. I have one of those, it's far worse than any Hori. It doesn't even have microswitches; it uses pads like a regular controller instead.
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

uhhh! i bought that Saturn stick for less than $7 and it was a complete waste of money.
I have no sig whatsoever.