Do Cave PCB's output stereo or mono sound?

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Dave_K.

Do Cave PCB's output stereo or mono sound?

Post by Dave_K. »

Stupid question, but the Jamma spec only allows mono...so are PCB owners stuck with mono sound for games? If not, then does Cave use extra pins for stereo?
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

As far as I know a dedicated Jamma pcb only outputs mono. The only exceptions I have seen are those Jamma compliant motherboards such as CPS2, Neo Geo MVS etc etc.

The benefit to stereo sound on a cabinet is minimal anyway, the speakers are about 20" apart from each other.

I have only ESP Ra.de, and its mono.

Obviously the benefits through a supergun set up are 10 fold, since you can hook it up to a stereo system. But honestly, stereo through a cabinet is not really worth it, even if the system board carries stereo sound, it still sounds mono ish.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
japtor

Post by japtor »

on my cab (original speaker astro) theres a dead spot of sound in the middle, and a few other positions i guess, sounds sort of like an out of phase signal (if i correctly remember what that sounds like). its like the 2 speakers are positioned exactly for where youd sit for 2 players, the sound is good if youre in either of those 2 spots. not sure if stereo sound would help the center area, or if my speakers (or particular astro configuration) are just super unidirectional. i have 2 other arcade speakers around which i hook up to my ipod sometimes (through stereo arcade speaker amp), and i dont have the problem, but i havent tried testing any mono files.

anyways i looked at a pic of my ketsui pcb, i only see a 2 pin connector, i think its for a fan.
Trevor spencer

Post by Trevor spencer »

japtor wrote: anyways i looked at a pic of my ketsui pcb, i only see a 2 pin connector, i think its for a fan.
yeah its is and ketsui is deffinitly mono
dpful

Post by dpful »

japtor wrote:on my cab (original speaker astro) theres a dead spot of sound in the middle, and a few other positions i guess, sounds sort of like an out of phase signal (if i correctly remember what that sounds like). its like the 2 speakers are positioned exactly for where youd sit for 2 players, the sound is good if youre in either of those 2 spots. not sure if stereo sound would help the center area, or if my speakers (or particular astro configuration) are just super unidirectional. i have 2 other arcade speakers around which i hook up to my ipod sometimes (through stereo arcade speaker amp), and i dont have the problem, but i havent tried testing any mono files.

anyways i looked at a pic of my ketsui pcb, i only see a 2 pin connector, i think its for a fan.
You should try and reverse the phase (just switch the 2 wires on one of the speakers) and see if it helps.
Do you know how phase works exactly? If you consider sound traveling through the air as layers of compression and vacuum (made by the skeaker moving in and out) and one speaker is pulling while the other is pushing (if they're wired opposite from each other) than right where the layers cross, a layer of vacuum is hitting a layer of compression- equalizing each other into still air- silence.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Sure the stereo seperation in a cab isn't going to be great, but its definately noticeable to mono.

The reason why I ask is because I expierement with consoles inside of cabs, and always bypassed the jamma harness. But now I want to make a jamma compatible console interface, and realized there is no standard for stereo out.

I guess it doesn't really matter for Cave games though, as even the PS2 ports (Espgaluda and DDPDOJ) are in mono!
japtor

Post by japtor »

dpful wrote:You should try and reverse the phase (just switch the 2 wires on one of the speakers) and see if it helps.
sweet that worked, thanks. would it make a difference which wires are connecting to contacts in terms of +/-, or is the current just passing through so it doesnt really matter (as long as both speakers are matching)?
dpful

Post by dpful »

just as long as they're matching, doesn't matter after that.