I'm missing joy in my life...

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
mannerbot

I'm missing joy in my life...

Post by mannerbot »

A joystick, I mean. Are there any high-quality sticks that can be had for less than $100? I was thinking about the SF:AC stick, but I've heard a lot of complaints about it. The new Hori Special Real Arcade Pros seem really awesome, but they're a bit pricy and I wouldn't know where to get one in the first place.

So, while I scavenge around for a custom Sanwa stick at a reasonable price, does anyone have any suggestions? If nobody has any better ideas I guess I'll just cave and get the original Real Arcade Pro...
BIG

Post by BIG »

Namco Tekken Stick.

BIG-
The n00b

Post by The n00b »

Well I have absolutely fallen in love with my Hori Fighting Stick EX. Of course it's for the xbox so you might not have much to play.
Proud citizen of the American Empire!
ZartanLovesYou

Post by ZartanLovesYou »

mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Yeah, I've been to Just Plain Gaming, but I don't like the design of the sticks and they're a little pricy.

I'm looking at this now:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-m-7 ... 0-4ra.html

It's not a Real Arcade Pro, but I figure if I use a Play-Asia coupon, I'll get it for about $70 shipped. Does anyone have any experience with this stick? Or really, any suggestions are welcome.
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

I don't have much experience with sticksl, but the best I've tried out yet is the Hori Real Arcade Pro. It can be a little hard to pull diagonals, though that's only because I'm not used to sticks. I have a similar problem with my Saturn Virtua Stick. If you decide on the Pro, please don't get it from Play-Asia if you're located in the USA; they'll rip you apart with the shipping fee.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Last week I won a Namco Arcade Stick from eBay for $86. Though with shipping (UK seller) it was over $100, but still.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Yikes Ghegs, if that was the PS1 stick with the yellow buttons, Psikyo was selling his for $60 shipped. =/

Did you get yours from an import shop, UFO? I've shopped around and I don't see a better option than Play-Asia, really. Right now I'm hoping to score a modded Hori RAP from a guy at Shoryuken.com, but he put it up for sale over a month ago so I'm guessing I'll be out of luck there.

Can anyone explain to me what this square gate/octagonal gate business is? The fighting game community seems to have plenty of gripes about Japanese sticks because of them.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

mannerbot wrote:Yikes Ghegs, if that was the PS1 stick with the yellow buttons, Psikyo was selling his for $60 shipped. =/
True, but since I got mine from a UK seller A) the shipping costs are less (that is, if PPPP would've even shipped overseas, there's definately going to be an increase in price) and B) I'll be getting the stick as early as this week. So it evens out a bit, I think.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
DantesInferno

Post by DantesInferno »

mannerbot wrote:Yeah, I've been to Just Plain Gaming, but I don't like the design of the sticks and they're a little pricy.

I'm looking at this now:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-m-7 ... 0-4ra.html

It's not a Real Arcade Pro, but I figure if I use a Play-Asia coupon, I'll get it for about $70 shipped. Does anyone have any experience with this stick? Or really, any suggestions are welcome.
I have this stick..and I like it a lot..I find that it works just as well as the Real Arcade Pro. The pro has a few more bells and whistles, but all in all, the Fighting Stick 2 is a great joystick. I think hori is bringing out a couple Special Edition Real Arcade Pro sticks..

http://www.horistore.com/shop/item_detail?id=260
http://www.horistore.com/shop/item_detail?id=261
UnscathedFlyingObject

mannerbot wrote:Did you get yours from an import shop, UFO? I've shopped around and I don't see a better option than Play-Asia, really. Right now I'm hoping to score a modded Hori RAP from a guy at Shoryuken.com, but he put it up for sale over a month ago so I'm guessing I'll be out of luck there.
I got mine from NCSX, which had a higher item price but much much cheaper delivery, 8 dollars compared with Play-Asia's whopping 50. Good luck with that modded RAP.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

UnscathedFlyingObject wrote:
mannerbot wrote:Did you get yours from an import shop, UFO? I've shopped around and I don't see a better option than Play-Asia, really. Right now I'm hoping to score a modded Hori RAP from a guy at Shoryuken.com, but he put it up for sale over a month ago so I'm guessing I'll be out of luck there.
I got mine from NCSX, which had a higher item price but much much cheaper delivery, 8 dollars compared with Play-Asia's whopping 50. Good luck with that modded RAP.

DUDE! You probably live right down the street from NCS!!!!!
gmw

Post by gmw »

Speaking of the new Hori Special Edition/Addition Real Arcade Pro sticks, I'm completely head over heels for the black/red Sanwa one - anyone know if there are any import sites offering pre-orders of these sticks yet? I imagine it's going to cost a fortune to get one after shipping....
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Yeah, I feel the same way about the Seimitsu stick. But I'm guessing it could cost as much as $160 after shipping... ouch.
UnscathedFlyingObject

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:
UnscathedFlyingObject wrote:

DUDE! You probably live right down the street from NCS!!!!!
They don't have a physical store AFAIK, so what does it matter. Where are they located? It's cheaper breaking in and taking the stuff I want.

*They have a 718 area code, so I suppose they are in Brooklyn. However, I think I read Queens (not quite so close) in the package when it came.
visuatrox

Post by visuatrox »

I'm looking foward to the new special Hori Real Arcade Pro's.. wonder how much they will cost, and I don't know if I should go with the red or green one :?:
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

visuatrox wrote:I'm looking foward to the new special Hori Real Arcade Pro's.. wonder how much they will cost, and I don't know if I should go with the red or green one :?:
The red is made with all Sanwa parts, and the white one is made with all Seimitsu parts. Here's what coN at Shoryuken.com had to say:

"Seimitsu sticks have a slightly longer throw than Sanwas. Plus, the gate system they use is different from Sanwas. Also, with Sanwa stick, when you rotate the stick itself, the acuator hits the switches directly, whereas the Seimitsu stick when rotated pushes the metal bars to activate the microswitches like a Happ Super or Korean Stick. Overall, both are very good sticks."
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

UnscathedFlyingObject wrote:Good luck with that modded RAP.
I wound up missing it by one day. I feel empty. :cry:

http://myspace.csumb.edu/project/tcolo/ ... roller.jpg
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

mannerbot--

I have the first Hori Fighting Stick which uses the same controls as the second. It's a decent stick for this price range, though not as tight feeling as other Hori sticks like VF4 Evo, Soul Calibur II, or Tekken 4. Still, it's the easiest stick I've encountered for modding with Sanwa JLF-TP-8Y or FLASH1 optical stick (buttons are fairly easy as well; no cutting needed).

About the Hori Real Arcade Pro: the idea of modding it would be more for personal preference, like changing to Seimitsu LS-32 stick and Sanwa OBSF-30RG buttons (the x5 switch durability type). As opposed to modding the other console sticks out there which will actually give a significant increase in quality feeling and performance.

The new edition Hori RAP with Seimitsu LS-32 will be about $100 retail. If NCS brings it in, it should be around $110-120 plus $10 shipping. I think it's the right price particularly when you can't build or mod your own.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

mannerbot wrote:
visuatrox wrote:I'm looking foward to the new special Hori Real Arcade Pro's.. wonder how much they will cost, and I don't know if I should go with the red or green one :?:
The red is made with all Sanwa parts, and the white one is made with all Seimitsu parts. Here's what coN at Shoryuken.com had to say:

"Seimitsu sticks have a slightly longer throw than Sanwas. Plus, the gate system they use is different from Sanwas. Also, with Sanwa stick, when you rotate the stick itself, the acuator hits the switches directly, whereas the Seimitsu stick when rotated pushes the metal bars to activate the microswitches like a Happ Super or Korean Stick. Overall, both are very good sticks."
Can someone post a few pics of this Sanwa joystick? Its sounds like it will rock with any type action arcade game.
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Twitch, if you were looking for pictures of the new Hori Special Real Arcade Pros, here they are: http://www.hori.jp/products/ps2/control ... index.html

Oxtsu, thanks for the info. I was under the impression that the Fighting Stick II was their second-best stick; I know a site selling the SCII stick for $60 shipped so I'll think about it. Right now I have my heart set on the Hori RAP though. It's supposed to come stateside so I'm kind of hesitant to order one at the moment, but if NCSX does stock the Hori Special RAP's... screw waiting. :D
gmw

Post by gmw »

The Hori website does say that the new RAP Special Addition / Edition are limited to being sold on horistore.com - I wonder if Play-Asia and NCS will be able to stock many of these.
piyo

Post by piyo »

On the temp forum I posted some stuff about that new Real Arcade Pro Hori stick as well, and some arcade experts answered my questions. I'm going to preorder the white+blue one, in other words, the Seimitsu one. Sweet colors...

http://shmups.com/forum/messages/2/268.html?1106434521

---
piyo
gmw

Post by gmw »

I emailed NCS last night to ask whether they were going to stock these or not, and got an email back this morning saying that they're definitely stocking the new Special Addition / Edition - preorders open in a couple of days.
Brian

Post by Brian »

The Pro Sticks from Mas Systems are excellent sticks, in my opinion.
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

gmw wrote:I emailed NCS last night to ask whether they were going to stock these or not, and got an email back this morning saying that they're definitely stocking the new Special Addition / Edition - preorders open in a couple of days.
Yesz!!
mannerbot

Post by mannerbot »

Well, well, well. Look what Hori's bringing stateside.

http://www.vgonetwork.com/media/data//t ... 5stick.jpg

Preorder Tekken 5 and you get an artbook along with this special edition HRAP, all for $100. I'll probably wind up selling Tekken 5, but this is some crazy deal.
dementia

Post by dementia »

That sounds pretty good, mannerbot. It's a pity it has tekken artwork all over it though. I dispise Tekken.
UnscathedFlyingObject

mannerbot wrote:
gmw wrote:I emailed NCS last night to ask whether they were going to stock these or not, and got an email back this morning saying that they're definitely stocking the new Special Addition / Edition - preorders open in a couple of days.
Yesz!!
Darn, maybe I'll get a new RAP for posterity and sell Tekken to reduce the price of the package. 60-70 sounds like a really reasonable price. Man, why did I get impatient and import one :cry:. Still, great joystick, everyone should get one.

Edit: anyone know when I can start preordering and where?