modded saturn problems

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
theevilfunkster

modded saturn problems

Post by theevilfunkster »

my modded 60htz, multi region swiched pal saturn has stopped reading disks. it usesd to crash on the startup screen and now it just wont accept that there's a disk in it.

is this a problem with the lens and if so can i just take the lens out of another saturn?

oh, and do US genesis games work on pal megadrives?
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

If you mean taking the laser and motor assembly off another system, I think it should work. Just don't mess with the little pot that adjusts the laser intensity.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

On the first point, yes, you can switch the Saturn laser without a problem (if that's indeed your problem, which I don't know). Thankfully, all Saturn models AFAIK have the laser base in the same location. Just be careful...
icepick

Post by icepick »

I had this happen to me with an unmodified US Saturn (revision?), and I tried to fix it, but ultimately failed. It stayed in my basement forever; I had purchased a Japanese Saturn sometime way back, and had thought that I would modify it to play US games, and if I ever fixed my original Sat, I'd give it to my younger sister (NiGHTS was the game that got her into video games; She has the game but not the console).

Then, I happened to bring it (the nonworking Saturn) with me on a trip to Ohio (why, I have no idea). I took it apart on my grandparents' coffee table, looked around, and decided to try it really quick to see if I could determine what was happening. I put Sonic 3D Blast in (or something like that), with the cover off, and it loaded. I have no idea of what happened over the span of time, but all of a sudden, it's playing games like day one. Fantastic!

Suggestion: Get another Saturn, keep your current one in storage for a really long time, and then it might spontaneously start working again. :mrgreen:

(Or go with replacing the drive assembly. I was thinking of doing that; Buying a nonworking/inexpensive Saturn off of eBay and swapping the drive, but back then, it was a bit too expensive, especially with shipping.)
\\ /\/\ \
theevilfunkster

Post by theevilfunkster »

ive tried the cd drive out of my other unmodded saturn and it still wont load games.

my unmodded saturn is the same shape (with the round buttons) but the main board is a different shape to the one in my modded saturn.
MASTER SATAN

Post by MASTER SATAN »

i recently got my saturn modded by a friend. i mailed it to him and when he sent it back it had been handled badly by the USPS. I packed it insanely good and so did my friend but the mod chip, while it looked and felt like it was seated firmly in the mobo was not. My friend told me to apply pressure gently to the modchip very carefully and then try it and viola, it worked. Before I did it my saturn was acting just like yours. the cd would not spin. even real saturn games i own would not work. i began trying to justify to myself i didnt need my modded saturn to try and keep the incredible rage at bay but it all worked out and now not a day goes by i dont play my saturn. so try pushing on the chip carefully. even if it looks like it's in there good. hope that helps.
megaultramillso

Post by megaultramillso »

yeah, i've had a right episode with my sega saturn uk pal conversion to 50/60 khz mutliregion. One of the jumper pads got fried which looked like the end of it, but my friend managed to find two points to connect a wire to and now just japanese games work- which im glad really as thats all i want it for. I'm guessing if your saturn has stopped working and you have performed a similar operation, maybe check all the points of solder and see if any look suspicious by use of a multi-meter.
"Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny" FZ